Mini Aleph, some output problem

Hello. I apologize for my bad english ..... I built a mini aleph using this scheme. Two identical board, same problem :(

This is the input and output curve at 10Khz. 17,5V each rail, 850mA bias, under 5mV DC offset. 3Vpp input, 27Vpp output.(input on the bottom side)

Same values ​​but 1Khz input signal:

10Khz, 2Vpp input, 20Vpp output:

1Khz, 2Vpp in, 20vpp out:

1Khz square, 1Vpp in, 10Vpp out...it seems good.

The problem manifests itself around 5Khz and I can find it just in the output side of the differential pair of irf9610, matched under 3mv difference.
Does anyone have any idea?:confused::confused::confused:
Thanks.
Giovanni

You are driving your amp to hard at only 0,8A bias.
The Aleph current source is out of steam and shuts off.
I also suspect that you are not driving a 8 Ohm resistive load.
This makes matters worse.
Is the AC Current gain exactly at 50%?
Given the bias and 20dB (10x) overall gain 2Vpp input is your amp's max with the given reactive load (speaker) at 1Khz.
At 2Vpp / 10KHz input the impedance of the reactive load is lower, which means more current that's not available.

A solution would be large heatsinks and more bias.

Last edited:
There is a resistor missing from bc560 base to collector. Some Alephs also have a pot
in series with this resistor. This is for adjusting the current source to a lower value of
current. The lower output mosfet is probably going into current limit. The resistors from
the source of the mosfet set the maximum current of the respective output mosfet. Check
these values as they are different with different Aleph amps.

Given the bias and 20dB (10x) overall gain 2Vpp input is your amp's max with the given reactive load (speaker) at 1Khz.
At 2Vpp / 10KHz input the impedance of the reactive load is lower, which means more current that's not available.

WOW, just noticed your join date, kind of like being a diyaudio fossil, that is way back.

Bingo! At 1A bias whith 2V 10Khz input problem almost disappears. No problem whit heatsink, after 30 minutes at 1A (with shorted input) mosfets stay at 43°C, so I think there is still room for further increasing the bias 100mA more. I'm driving a 8 Ohm resistive dummy load.
Thanks to all.

Giovanni

Guy's i'm having the same issue as the OP is, can some one please tell me what resistor has to be changed to increase bias to 1A please. ?

aleph-m%252520copy.jpg

I have 4 of these that i want to fix..

Thanks

I ran mine at 1A when I first built it. Then I upped the current to 1.2 amps and thought.. hmmm.. sounds better. After going down to .33R I ran it up to whatever my heatsinks could handle (1.6A, 30w per device) and said.. dang it.. shoulda bought bigger heatsinks.

Last edited:
I just finished a mini-Aleph yesterday and have a slight DC offset problem. I used a 1k trimmer for R8 and matched ZVP3310A for input FETs. When cold, the DC offset is as high as 300mV per channel. As the amp warms, the offset drops and ultimately a settles around -5 to -20mV. What might cause this wide of an offset variation?