microTower bipolar ML-TL for CHR-70 or EL70

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
'Castle' Microtowers with CHP-70

I've built some 'Castle' Microtowers using nominal 18mm ply (measures 17mm) to the same internal dimensions as the plan, including holey braces :Olympic:
Drivers are CHP-70.
I had some 2.5 inch internal dia. pipe, and at the moment I'm using a 2.5 inch length of that for a port. The port output rises a little around 50Hz and drops off rapidly below about 40Hz.
I would welcome any advice on how to go about tuning the port for these drivers.
I'm listening at low levels for now as they begin to break in, so I'll report on the sound in due course.

I've built some 'Castle' Microtowers using nominal 18mm ply (measures 17mm) to the same internal dimensions as the plan, including holey braces :Olympic:
Drivers are CHP-70.
I had some 2.5 inch internal dia. pipe, and at the moment I'm using a 2.5 inch length of that for a port. The port output rises a little around 50Hz and drops off rapidly below about 40Hz.
I would welcome any advice on how to go about tuning the port for these drivers.
I'm listening at low levels for now as they begin to break in, so I'll report on the sound in due course.

Hi John

Ah you built them :)

Do you have some pictures?

Pretty sure the boxes were modeled as TL's. Either way, you'll have to go with a longer port to drop Fb?

jeff

Indeed, and I have plenty of 2.5 in. pipe so it's easy enough to try out different lengths.
I've just seen, btw, that the CHP-70 is back on offer at Blue Planet Acoustic - 23 Euros each, and free shipping in the EU if you spend over 60 Euros.

Last edited:
Indeed, and I have plenty of 2.5 in. pipe so it's easy enough to try out different lengths.
I've just seen, btw, that the CHP-70 is back on offer at Blue Planet Acoustic - 23 Euros each, and free shipping in the EU if you spend over 60 Euros.

If you haven't already PM'd Dave, I've forwarded your query to him. IIRC, when I built the two versions of the towers, the ports for EL70 were 3" ID, while for CHR70 the ID was 2". I'm not sure if Dave rationalized the tuning for round ports of other ID, rectangular slots, or other drivers. of course that's just simple math :cool:.

Well I'm listening to my 'Castle' microTowers with CHP-70s. They give a good open, detailed and spacious sound, and on most jazz they are pretty satisfactory. But on a lot of classical they sound thin and bright - violins in particular can sound quite steely.
They have had probably less than 30 hours fairly gentle playing so perhaps it's too soon to judge? Presumably adjusting the damping won't reduce the brightness? Should I run them in for longer before I think about compensation networks?

Well I'm listening to my 'Castle' microTowers with CHP-70s. They give a good open, detailed and spacious sound, and on most jazz they are pretty satisfactory. But on a lot of classical they sound thin and bright - violins in particular can sound quite steely.
They have had probably less than 30 hours fairly gentle playing so perhaps it's too soon to judge? Presumably adjusting the damping won't reduce the brightness? Should I run them in for longer before I think about compensation networks?

Hi Jooners,
Could I ask what amp and source are you using with the CHP's? Silver or copper cables?
Thanks
Mark.
(CHP's need 200 hours of gentle running in)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.