metal FR drivers that don't need a tweeter/correction circuit..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
..etc looked at FR88/89, Daytons, TBs etc and some opinions are that most seem to need some kind of help, either breakup or other issues

Just thought to compile a proper list would be beneficial to those looking to choose because to me a big point of the 'full range' driver is simplicity and/or lack of components in the signal path etc.

Seems like the Alpair 6 is smooth

so I will put forward these two

Alpair 6
Jordan JXR6

Last edited:
planet 10 I'm sorry, should have made the thread starter clearer- ie its purely about top end issues, whether they need bass support etc was not my criteria.

Its just odd that so many small metal wide bandwidth drivers are being released but virtually all have issues at the top end in some way and benefit from a circuit or a tweeter.

Last edited:
Alpair 7eN, mounted in a correctly sized resistance loaded box, does not "need" a sub woofer. However, correctly mated to something as fast and with as much textural ability as the 7eN has, provides a startlingly good system. The only portion missing is the "weight" of upper bass, from 100Hz to 400 Hz. This points to having a larger diameter Mark Audio driver if that FR is important to you.

The Alapair 7eN has no issues anywhere and flat to 30K does indicate it's ability to resolve inner information within tones and transients.

Bud

Last edited:
Whether a circuit is required is not really a function of the driver, but of the whole driver / cab geometry / boundaries / room / listening position.

If you want to avoid a circuit, just use two drivers :) Or do a cab that provides enough gain to offset the step loss, and then measure how many degrees off axis yields a flat-ish response.

here is an example how foam affects FR.
block of foam placed in front of a Neo-8 driver.
neo8-waveguide.gif

I thought the upper end of the CHR70 was very satisfying to listen to, though maybe a little harsh on the ears with the odd song. Acoustic guitar and vocals were great. In a large box there was satisfying LF as well. I may try and build a set in a sealed box with a helper woofer this summer.

KM

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Have the new Mark Audio CHR-70 3rd gen, Alpair 7.3 and Fostex FF85WK evolved enough to avoid the need for a tweeter, etc.

None of these, IMO, need a tweeter. CHR needs some taming of the top, A7.3 is well balanced. FF85wk (and the very good, but not as good FF85k), can be thot of as a high end tweeter that can be XOed below 400 Hz or used down to below 100 Hz (with limitations in dynamics & ultimate levels)

dave

I've been very happy with CHR-70.3 sans filters! I've used many different 4 inch fullrangers and these continue to impress and are my current favorites. Smooth well balanced tone and descent extension at both ends. For the dollars spent these are a tough act to follow!!

Larry

I've been very happy with CHR-70.3 sans filters! I've used many different 4 inch fullrangers and these continue to impress and are my current favorites. Smooth well balanced tone and descent extension at both ends. For the dollars spent these are a tough act to follow!!

Larry

when you feel flush, try the Alpair6M (personally I prefer the 6P), but this thread is about metal coned drivers

Every driver has a break up. It's a matter of whether or not it's audible. Even a 1" dome tweeter does. Though probably around 25khz or something. So whether it needs a correction circuit or not depends if you can hear it.

Why not a paper cone? The only metal FR I've been able to tolerate was the Alp7.3, though I haven't heard the Alp6m and many others. I didn't like the FR88, despite really thinking I would.

The tonal balance will depend alot on the front baffle of the enclosure. Design a nice flat response driver in an infinite baffle arrangement and put it in a normal box and it will sound bass weak. Design it to have decent bass extnsion in a small box, change the box size and it will sound bass rich and uneven.

The upper limits are not just efficiency and power handling - actually a range of drivers are good at these, it's also to do with sound dispersion. You will either end up trading off coherence or dispersion - a way around this has not yet been invented!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.