Mellotron preamp schematic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Heres the response with a 2meg resistor, (the red trace) Seems a lot more practical?

Attachments

• Mltrn 2meg.GIF
    Mltrn 2meg.GIF
    23.4 KB · Views: 58
We have people comming over for Easter dinner so I have to go spank the turkey (not the monkey). Will get back to this hopfuley tommorow. Still might post this in solid state, maybe someone there knows why that huge 10hz peak is there? You need to find out if you need to reproduce it in your opamp circuit, which will make it a lot more complicated and dificult to stabilize.

Very good, I have tried to sim a tape head by using a inductor and a resistor in series with it but I haven't spent much time on it yet.
And I am thinking about just going right into an op amp design.
It looks as you are getting pretty much the same frequency response that I am getting. jer

P.S. Happy Easter everyone !!!

I only tried it once with a few values and it made no difference on the low frequncy peak for the vaues I did try and circiut maker would error unless I had A resistor in series with the inductor.
So then I decided to try to find some tape head specs and I haven't done so yet as I don't remember what any typical values for them from yesteryears are. jer

Looks a lot more believable, and stable(no 180 deg phase shift like before). The 2k curve looks like the one to try to copy?
Im going to try to play with r7 now and see what happens.

Attachments

• Meltrn with tape head.GIF
    Meltrn with tape head.GIF
    45.3 KB · Views: 53
  • Meltrn tpe head AC.GIF
    Meltrn tpe head AC.GIF
    60.6 KB · Views: 50
I am curious about the high freqency roll off.
It is said that the corner frequency of the roll off is the frequency where the response is 3db down.

The curve cleary shows that the slope starts about 6khz and is down about 3db at around 12khz.

If this is correct then it could be a duplicating machine eq compensation.

Also according to the curve a simple preamp could be used with a low pass and a high pass shelving eq set at 100hz and 12.5khz and could be trimmed to how one desires as neccessary without any degradation to the playback quality.

What do you think? jer

I cant see that there all in parallel or they would load each other down and greatly reduce the output. They must switch in when needed?
There are 35 tapes heads all in series. So you can assume a fairly high head impedance.

BTW, I removed C4 from the circuit and there is no difference in the performance. So I am hunting down a nice low voltage film cap for the spot but failing that then a 0.47uf electrolytic will suit.

Its my theory that the bass bump is a circuit aberration. The tape sets offered don't seem to have any real deep bass on them. 40Hz might be the lowest tones that are recorded.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.