Measurement mics

What's the forum consensus on the best XLR measurement mic thats available out there? For home/outdoor DIY speaker measuring + crossover design.

I've currently got a Dayton EMM, A SoundID reference and 2x UMIKs, and while they all measure similar in the bass to mids, the highs are all over the place with about 6db variance between them (yes, tested in the same stand in the same location with the mfr cal files, at the same time in the same temp). Funny the USB* mic measures the highest treble output, sounds the most neutral to me when used to voice designs, but I need XLR for the proper 2 channel measurements.

Are the cross spectrum calibrated Daytons the go-to?

Last edited:
Best?

For microphones it's very similar as loudspeakers.
It all depends on its purpose and context.

What is mostly important is to get one that is calibrated if you really want reliable measurements.
Unfortunately, many calibration files from the more affordable stuff doesn't seem to be very accurate.

Here in Europe I know a couple of companies that are able to do that for around 25 euro, or 40 euro incl 90 degrees.
Which is well worth the money if you wanna take measurements more serious.
I have no idea if these service also exists in other parts of the world.

If it's just for making and designing crossovers, most affordable microphones will do just fine with this additional calibration.
They are only limited in max SPL, noise and mostly distortion.

If you wanna step up from that, something like a beyerdynamic MM 1, Audix TM-1 or Earthworks Audio M23 will be fine.
But that's all above 200 euro or (much) more.

Reactions: 1 users
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Funny the mic measures the highest treble output sounds the most neutral to me when used to voice designs,
Interesting, because a roll off at the top can sound the most natural.

It highlights the fact that calibration mostly affects voicing, which is often done on a listening test basis anyway. The crossover itself isn't affected since you need relative information there. Whatever the mic does to response can be fixed outside the cross using EQ.

It highlights the fact that calibration mostly affects voicing, which is often done on a listening test basis anyway.
I wasn't gonna mention this, haha, but you did. :D :D

But yes, there is definitely some truth in this.
I know people who have been great sounding speakers for decades that way.

Although it also depends a but what you're after and your goals when measuring. :)
If you want repeatable and consistent results it's often easier to just have a calibrated microphone.
It sometimes can throw you off a bit when something doesn't seem to sound or feel quite right for just an example.

If you want to dive deeper into the physics and acoustics, calibration is basically a must I think.

Reactions: 1 user
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Even non-calibrated mics have consistent regions. Maybe the top end beyond the cross rolls off at a different rate but the middle and lower regions are flat.

In any case I wouldn't jump ship in the middle of a crossover design, but even if I did it would be easy enough to create a difference curve between different mics.

It's important to understand this, and very helpful considering the reports of inconsistent calibration, batch calibration or worse that we hear.

Reactions: 2 users
I was making the same choice over the last few weeks, I wanted to have something as a reference that I could rely on.

I picked the MicW M215 that is on it's way to me now. This is a metal diaphragm mic in the B+K style. The calibration file lists the equipment used and it is all very good quality stuff, the parent company BWSA is well regarded.

Almost all other mics in this price range and above are plastic. That may or may not be a problem but certain properties can change over time and with heat humidity in plastic diaphragms.

It was a toss up between the isemcon EMX 7150 which is also well calibrated and popular. Showtechnix sells it here and I think in NZ too.

There is also some used Nti 2010 mics on ebay which some ASR members have bought and been pleased with.

https://m.ebay.ca/itm/234854790922

The Earthworks mics are inherently flat which is nice, but the price :mad:

• Thank You
Some years ago I purchased the Beyer Dynamic MM1 based on a German magazine summery of measurement mics being compared to their Bruel & Kjaer reference. It was the most accurate in terms of frequency response, although it's small capsule size meant it did not have the lowest noise of those tested. I've been very happy with it and seems to match well to manufacture data above 10KHz without response compensation.

https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/bey...XobOVoegDtbrQQiFWJ29t6485HTIP_cRoCPAQQAvD_BwE

I think that’s actually metalized stainles (sputtered), though I could be wrong.

The more expensive MicW’s are pure metal (Nickel).
I can't be sure either, the manufacturers diagram seems to suggest it is all stainless

1702946071119.png

This page might be commercially motivated but has some good information

https://www.loudspeakerindustrysour...s-electret-microphones-for-audio-applications

Yeah, I’ve seen that before. When I was researching it more heavily I came across references to proprietary process’s that kept the cost down for the diaphragm that seemed to suggest a sputtered design.

Still, I don’t think it makes a lot of difference unless the Mic is subject to extreme high temp’s, even if sputtered it’s still a metal diaphragm if not quite what you’d get from B&K, Gefell, etc..

Last edited:
sputtered, vapor deposition, sintered powder, all of these manufacturing techniques produce a metal part, with the same stiffness,modulas, electrical conductivity, thermal conductivity, and other physical and chemical properties as metal which was rolled, pressed, extruded, forged, cast, or machined. It is only such properties as ultimate strength, fatigue life, fracture behavior that all these processes differ. For a mic diaphragm, stainless steel of a given thickness and shape is just stainless steel... no matter how it was formed.

What's the forum consensus on the best XLR measurement mic thats available out there? For home/outdoor DIY speaker measuring + crossover design.

I've currently got a Dayton EMM, A SoundID reference and 2x UMIKs, and while they all measure similar in the bass to mids, the highs are all over the place with about 6db variance between them (yes, tested in the same stand in the same location with the mfr cal files, at the same time in the same temp). Funny the mic measures the highest treble output sounds the most neutral to me when used to voice designs, but I need XLR for the proper 2 channel measurements.

Are the cross spectrum calibrated Daytons the go-to?
Those are all "entry level" measurement mics. They will work just fine for DIY loudspeaker measurements, but hardly anywhere near "best" as far as measurement mics go.

A solid click up from this level are the Earthworks M30 and M50. About 5x to 10x more expensive as well.

Then above that are very expensive B&K mics and similar. Don't even ask about the price...