Matching BG RD75 planars with Magneplanar ribbon tweeters

Gotcha...
Wow, now I know where all of the RD-75's went, lol!

A lot more flexibility perhaps with dsp...Are you building the new speakers to replace the set above?

A bit confused- you have a magnepan ribbon/mid in one panel and bass in the other, with the rd-75 in the stand alone baffle? Based on my experience with the tympani's, I wonder if the above is a bit bass shy...????

Thanks again, we are on a similar path...

I only have two pair. :giggle: One pair was in factory sealed boxes. A custom speaker builder had purchased them for a project that was later cancelled and they sat for like 10 years or so. They are the ones in the cabinets.

More than confused, you are mistaken. The two pair of Maggie panels are actually the two bass (technically a mid/bass and bass) panels from Tympani IVa's. I pulled the tweeters from the third panel and tacked them on the sides of the wings which have the RD75's. The RD-75's replaced the Maggie mid panels and they are spectacular.

I am looking (not very hard) for a pair of Tmpani IVa bass panels to swap in for the mid/bass panels.

I have a set of tympani iva's here and it looks to me like each side has one panel with the tweeter and a mid panel, the other two panels are bass panels. That's the way the external crossover box is set up as well- it splits the frequencies up so that the bass goes to the two panels and the mids/highs to the single panel which has an internal crossover to further split the signal. There is nothing inside the two bass panels to split the signal into bass and mid bass...So I am not sure what you mean above...

I plan to replace my two tympani bass panels with a AE dipole 18 in an h frame and a 4 sub set up, and use the tweeter in a new baffle with the Carver ribbons for the mid range. So I may have 2 sets of tympani bass panels I don't need...maybe you might end up with an extra pair of rd-75 ??? hmmmmm....lol...

Thank you @RogerGustavsson Nice to see you! :)

The middle of the three panels has several disks or "tuning pucks" attached to it. These tune the panel a little higher in frequency to suppliment the mid panel.

Here is a pic of a nude mid bass panel. I circled the tuning pucks in yellow.

mid bass.png

With the RD-75's there is no help needed in the mid range which is why I would like to try replacing the mid bass panels with bass panels.

The day will come when I will part with a pair of RD-75's and promise you first shot at them.

If you are successful with your AE dipole 18 in an h frame and a 4 sub set up let me know. If I have not found another pair of bass panels, I may be interested.

The AE dipole 18 in an h frame and a 4 sub set up seems to be the way to go to up the bass. I went with the Rythmiks as I am planning for a smaller room.

Reactions: 1 user
No that is not correct about the tuning. Tympani IVa looks like this without wiring. From left to right, low bass, midbass, tweeter and midarange. The order should not be like that, the tweeter/mid panel should be left of the basses so that the low bass driver end up in the center, taking maximum advantage of the baffle width.

Attachments

• tiva without wires.jpg
    tiva without wires.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 64
No that is not correct about the tuning. Tympani IVa looks like this without wiring. From left to right, low bass, midbass, tweeter and midarange. The order should not be like that, the tweeter/mid panel should be left of the basses so that the low bass driver end up in the center, taking maximum advantage of the baffle width.

That's what mine look like from the rear. I have my tweeters on the inside though...Thanks.

Thank you @RogerGustavsson Nice to see you! :)

The middle of the three panels has several disks or "tuning pucks" attached to it. These tune the panel a little higher in frequency to suppliment the mid panel.

Here is a pic of a nude mid bass panel. I circled the tuning pucks in yellow.

View attachment 1151164

With the RD-75's there is no help needed in the mid range which is why I would like to try replacing the mid bass panels with bass panels.

The day will come when I will part with a pair of RD-75's and promise you first shot at them.

If you are successful with your AE dipole 18 in an h frame and a 4 sub set up let me know. If I have not found another pair of bass panels, I may be interested.

The AE dipole 18 in an h frame and a 4 sub set up seems to be the way to go to up the bass. I went with the Rythmiks as I am planning for a smaller room.
Thanks, I would appreciate that! I will keep you posted as to my progress...Once the Spring arrives I will be able to get back out to the shop and build the h-frames and 4 subs. I will try that with the Magnepan tweeter and midrange panel first, then build a baffle for the magnepan tweeter and carver ribbon midrange.

Keep us posted here of your progress as well please!

If you skip the mid/tweeter panel, the basses should be placed like "the narrow room setup" as suggested by Magnepan.

narrow room setup.jpg

Well, there will be a lot of experimentation to do in order to get the maximum out of the Tympani IVa. It is not as simple as just have them a bit away from the wall behind them. You listen to the speakers AND the room, together. Some positions work better than others. That goes for your listening spot too. It is complex and rules of thumb is seldom to trust. If you have the speakers too far out, there can be a lot of artificial room created behind the speakers. This need to reduced in some cases.

A common fault, is that the Mylar leaves the doublesided tape on the midrange, setting up the performance of the mids. Replacing the round wire with flat wire (foil) is an upgrade but it will reduce the level of the mids. Leveling down the tweeters helps. I do recommend going to active crossover bass-to-mid, preferably one with DSP and use four channels of power amplification. It can transform the IVa. The mid/tweeter panels should be detached from the basses.

Mylar comming off the tape below.jpg

I only have two pair. :giggle: One pair was in factory sealed boxes. A custom speaker builder had purchased them for a project that was later cancelled and they sat for like 10 years or so. They are the ones in the cabinets.

More than confused, you are mistaken. The two pair of Maggie panels are actually the two bass (technically a mid/bass and bass) panels from Tympani IVa's. I pulled the tweeters from the third panel and tacked them on the sides of the wings which have the RD75's. The RD-75's replaced the Maggie mid panels and they are spectacular.

I am looking (not very hard) for a pair of Tmpani IVa bass panels to swap in for the mid/bass panels.

Any updates?
I was able to source a set of RD-50's so I will try them with the magnepan tweeter and the AE dipole 18's in h-frames. I ordered 2 3 channel Hypex NCx500 amps, hoping they arrive in July. Should have my test baffles together and playing with all this by the end of July. Can't wait!

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Thanks, I would appreciate that! I will keep you posted as to my progress...Once the Spring arrives I will be able to get back out to the shop and build the h-frames and 4 subs. I will try that with the Magnepan tweeter and midrange panel first, then build a baffle for the magnepan tweeter and carver ribbon midrange.

Keep us posted here of your progress as well please!
I’ve played around quite a lot with Magnepan 3.7s. Actually the bass panel is a very good midrange, with 10 dB higher sensitivity than the midrange panel and much lower distortion. I currently use the bass panel between 600 and 2500 Hz. The tweeter comes in at 4000 Hz. The mid panel fills the small gap between 2500 and 4000 Hz. Below 600 there’s a dipole mid bass system with four 12” Eminence Delta 12A, which is crossed over at 80 to a large double bass array. Yes - it’s a 5-way system. It’s active all the way, with MiniDSP Flex and Hypex amps.

I did have RD75s in a 2-way system for a long time. They’re really interesting drivers… but the Magnepan is something else.