Masterpiece

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
But who knows wich is the best system integration or better how to know the best system integration?

Priorities. Like what is the main thing the load needs. It has low PSRR and steady consumption but wide bandwidth? Better see to have least self noise and EMI than widest and lowest Zo reg. Don't use high gain in the error amp, filter the Vref more, terminate with a medium ESR electrolytic.
But I don't have much circuitry & lab knowledge or fancy test gear you may say, how do I optimize?
Use your subjective experience and common sense is the answer.
In your case you got EB series and various shunt regs around for instance. Apply one after the other, gather some idea of how they affect the music. What characteristics you need to push more? Tweak CCS if any, Vref filtering, termination if any, connection method and distance, parts quality, the pre-filtering or just the raw DC components, whatever you can tweak.
Keep a simple reference point. Like an LM317T. Is it getting any better than the standard chip reg? If worse, something's going wrong. Maybe interference with decoupling on the load's rails? EMI? Bad reg choice? Better shielding, grounding, etc. etc.

Here is a great idea how to "listen" to a power supply.
Simply connect a speaker or headphone after the supply.
Be sure to AC couple or you can destroy your speakers or headphones.

Attachments

• PSU listening.jpg
    PSU listening.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 275
I did not see credit in the guide though.:p
The general architecture is following, especially in the parallel part. Which is different in open loop parameters and biasing. The CCS in yours is BJT CV+CC, i.e. much different.
Its very easy to change everything with just values, imagine what happens with secondary differentiations and other parts choices.
You can have the same reg with two different loads described harsh or dull. Difficult to strike balance for a general apps shunt reg. System integration is the key.;)

That's what I said (earlier), the CCS is very different :) I was not saying that the regulator was the same, just that the shunt part is largely the same. I do recognize that both parts are part of the system.

If you need even more gain you can double the 220 Ohm resistors to 440 Ohm.
That also gives you more dynamic range ( 6dB ).
For prototypes i use the cheep Yegeo 1% metal film resistors from Reichelt.
When it does not sound good with this resistors nothing helps.
For a slight warm sound i use various Dale resistors, the brown one.
Bigger size is better, so i prefer the 65 series from Mouser over the 55 series from Schuro ( way overpriced ). Most of the 65 from Mouser where anti magnetic too.
Super expensive and some like the cleanness they bring : Z- Foils.
I only use them, when the customer specifies. Other specify vintage Shinko tantalum.
There is also a new Audio Note antimagnetic tantalum i did not try yet.
The sound of tantalum ? I do not know, i try to avoid hard to get exotic stuff and i hate to make the AN head honcho even richer then he already is.
In my next link i show you the resistors i found the most neutral, not there, sound.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.