• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Mark Johnson's VRDN Bipolar PS for Line Level +/-11 - 20V Circuits

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Folks:

I just finished a very successful mini group buy for Mark Johnson's H9KPXG soft start boards and, like every other junkie, want to do it again. This time, I'm considering a group buy for Mark's VRDN bipolar power supply for line level circuits. There is a wealth of technical information regarding this board on Mark's thread: VRDN: bipolar regulator PCB for line level ckts: ±11V to ±20V @ 1.5A with "De-Noiser"

The purpose of this post is to assess whether there is enough interest to justify my hosting a group buy. I'm looking for likely buyers but not expecting a commitment; you have to be satisfied with quality and cost. My intention is to get green 1.6 mm thick ENIG-RoHS 2 oz copper pcbs. Let's assume pricing will be under $5 per board plus shipping (worst case for domestic purchasers is $8.30 for USPS Priority Mail, but I may be able to use less expensive padded mailers). Non-US orders are invited, but keep in mind that while I don't intend to profit on mailing expenses, you might be better off having the boards made yourself.

Is anyone interested?

Regards,
Scott

I'd be happy to 'invest' and buy as many boards as makes sense for us here. Those who have committed to the buy can get what they want. I'll recoup the costs at 0% interest when the boards sell. I have the financial capacity to do that (thankfully, I'll add, especially given the season here in the USA).

So: (i) How many boards do we need to order so that we're getting a decent price but not getting way too many? (Where is the point of diminishing returns here?) (ii) Where and how do I order these?

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Folks:

Letting this thread ferment for a while seems to have done the trick. I agree with wirewiggler; I used Pete Millett power supply boards for my BA2018, which were purchased before Mark announced his design, but would have happily opted for the VRDN boards had they been available at the time.

Would someone in Europe/UK be interested in acting as a continental distributor? If I can buy a serious quantity of boards, it might be cost-effective for me to buy a lot and ship a bunch on to someone in the EU/UK who could redistribute locally (forgive me if including the UK was a mistake; I'm unfamiliar with Brexit's impact on EU/UK shipping costs). Of course, it might be less involved if someone in the EU were to just order boards directly from a fabricator themselves.

Let's let this thread percolate for a couple of days longer. If there's enough interest, I'll host a VRDN group buy. If someone else wants to assume the mantle (and risk), I'll happily buy from them instead.

Regards,
Scott