Mark Audio CHR-120 6 1/2 inch full range speaker driver

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Maybe.

O1CN0196Sm7w1suoRbGnc1s_!!489535827.jpg

Mark has gone quite a ways since he did the 1st A12, so probably. With a metal cone, unlikely to have the same kind of sonic signature as the A12p.

CHR is usually a designation for a less expensive unit. It wil be interesting to see if Mark has extended the performance of the 6.5”driver to match the finesses of the smaller A10x (and with the same extension at both ends — current A10s have slightly more potential than A12p).

dave

I also see a CHN110, a smaller 6.5" brother, and those specs look very promising, It's already for sale and very cheap for what is spec'd, but i can't find no real world reports for it. Do any of you have experience with it?

I was just looking for a cheaper bookshelf design speaker for someone, and this on specs could be perfect for that for a ported booshelf with response from 40Hz to 20Khz, With wood and without counting any possible needed correction network, this could become a set of diy bookshelfs for 200€ material cost with good specs. That would be great. And if the CHR120 is similar in specs and price...

Now first wait untill these get released and measured.

If we use cone surface area rather than the basket diameter, which is a more representative approach vis-à-vis other units, the CHN-110 is a 5 3/4in. The CHR-120 is a 6 1/2in.

Both are new drivers; they're available in China & Japan (the major market) & distributors in the West should be receiving them; the coronavirus has slowed production / shipping (and distributors / dealers, especially the larger ones, tend to order at fixed times of the year rather than on a continuous update to ensure economies of scale in the shipping).

They're both designed to be high value / affordable units that want larger box sizes than, for e.g., the Pluvia 11. I've done a few straightforward designs for both, including a selection of vented boxes (Helmholtz & hybrid MLQW), a couple of sealed and Nessie type QW folded resonant tubes.

I also see a CHN110, a smaller 6.5" brother, and those specs look very promising, It's already for sale and very cheap for what is spec'd, but i can't find no real world reports for it. Do any of you have experience with it?

I put the CHN110 in the 24L vented enclosure spec'ed on the Madisound site. For ease of building and use I did not install the 3/4" wool felt and I did include terminal cups as these were just quicky cabinets to get the feel of the driver. Burn-in is almost done so I haven't hit them with any low bass yet so I cannot comment on that, but so far they sound pretty good. Female vocals and horns sound great. As a caveat to impressions, this is my first exposure to full-range drivers.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member

Not yet. I have to pull the Pluvia 11eN out of the FHXL and try them (and A7ms, A11mSeN, P7HD, P7PHD) — i almost have the CHN50 boxes done.

This driver is cheap because it has a really cheap metal basket. Probably a level down from the similar size Alpairs, but that still means they have room to be very good.

dave

If we use cone surface area rather than the basket diameter, which is a more representative approach vis-à-vis other units, the CHN-110 is a 5 3/4in. The CHR-120 is a 6 1/2in.

Both are new drivers; they're available in China & Japan (the major market) & distributors in the West should be receiving them; the coronavirus has slowed production / shipping (and distributors / dealers, especially the larger ones, tend to order at fixed times of the year rather than on a continuous update to ensure economies of scale in the shipping).

They're both designed to be high value / affordable units that want larger box sizes than, for e.g., the Pluvia 11. I've done a few straightforward designs for both, including a selection of vented boxes (Helmholtz & hybrid MLQW), a couple of sealed and Nessie type QW folded resonant tubes.

Speaking of cone surface; at first sight it looks like Mms both for CHN110 (sd 100, mms 8 g) and CHR120 (sd 150, mms 11 g) are a bit high (especially compared to paper like the Visaton BG20) but the ratio Sd/Mms is constant including CHR70 so no suprise there.

Any comments on the sound of both CHN110 and CHR120 yet?
Greetings,
August

I'd really like to hear some impressions of these. I have been thinking about building a new set or at the least a new larger cabinet for some of the drivers I already have (CHR-70, EL70). I have really enjoyed hearing some of the larger MA drivers at meetups.

Kyle

PS: Missing the yearly meetup. :-/