Marantz Laser Pick-up for SACD/DVD question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not to nitpick, but the shorting blobs are there to prevent static damage to the two laser diodes(one for cd, one for dvd/etc.), and, although I have never personally seen a laser diode get static damaged, it is as likely to happen in a laser shipped by itself as it is with a laser shipped in a mechanism, unless the mech also includes a servo board for the laser to be plugged into.

Finally - DONE. Works great

Thanks All --

I replaced the laser system, took off the solder blob from the replacement mechanical assembly. My Marantz SA-11S1 runs like new again. CD's that wouldn't play before load right up.

This Laser is different than the original (1200W) - perhaps it is an improvement given that the 1200R didn't last long.

I re-used the old assembly and replaced the laser pickup (original 1200R with a new 1200R) and re-assembled. I left the two solder blobs in place until I ever need it.

I now have a great running player with an OEM backup unit in case this new unit fails.

Thanks again,

Replaced Marantz laser - drawer wont open!

Hi - I have had the same laser problem on my Marantz sa11s1 as all the other guys. I bought a whole new mechanism , plus an additional new laser unit. I replaced the whole mechanism in the player, powered up, and now the CD draw wont open. I then fixed the new laser into the old mechanism, and put that back in the player, and now that draw wont open either! What have I done - I have no idea. Any thoughts?

re Sa11S1 Mech

Hi there has anybody ever looked into replacing the whole mech assembly with that from the SA11S2 I have asked Marantz UK and they could not answer said they could ask Germany or japan but would take a long time end of reply

seems a bit limp

Anybody know if this is possible where can the mechs can be sourced from original and the S2 also where are the lasers available from don't need one yet but would like to get one or two as I intend this to be the machine I will use untill I am gone

Hi & sorry to jump in, but I have a related issue. I own a marantz SA17 S1 SACD player and my constant fear is what happens if the drive mechanism fails. The more the years go by I even think of retiring the unit to keep it functional, but I guess I'm getting paranoid here. Is there a replacement mechanism I can get to be on the safe side? Thank you!

Sorted......

Thought I'd have another go at the non-opening drawer on my sa11s1 over the holidays. I dismantled both my laser mechanisms again. After much head scratching and mechanical pushing and shoving, I realised there is a vertical "peg" on the drawer mechanism that has to engage in a channel on the top cover of the mechanism. Unless the peg is in the channel, it cant open. There is space either side of the channel for the peg to miss it if its not exaclty in the right place. I'd pushed the peg too far over, so missing the channel and hence not opening. Careful positioning of the peg engaged the channel and - hey presto! - everything worked. I checked my replacement mechanism and I'd done exactly the same with that. Simple fix - need to be more careful.

John

Hi & sorry to jump in, but I have a related issue. I own a marantz SA17 S1 SACD player and my constant fear is what happens if the drive mechanism fails. The more the years go by I even think of retiring the unit to keep it functional, but I guess I'm getting paranoid here. Is there a replacement mechanism I can get to be on the safe side? Thank you!

Your SA17 player uses the KHM230AA laser unit. The laser units are out of production and are expensive to replace. There is an ebay seller in Taiwan that has them for about 100 USD. You might want to consider getting one just to have on hand if you run in to troubles later on.

P.S. I just did a google search for these and now there seems to be a large number of units from China that are available for a very low cost, no more than 20 USD.

Last edited:
Thanks All --

I replaced the laser system, took off the solder blob from the replacement mechanical assembly. My Marantz SA-11S1 runs like new again. CD's that wouldn't play before load right up.

This Laser is different than the original (1200W) - perhaps it is an improvement given that the 1200R didn't last long.

I re-used the old assembly and replaced the laser pickup (original 1200R with a new 1200R) and re-assembled. I left the two solder blobs in place until I ever need it.

I now have a great running player with an OEM backup unit in case this new unit fails.

Thanks again,

Well...its been 4 years and my SA11s1 is not finding tracks again. That hasn't happened in years. I load a CD and it spins and spins and then returns "can't play". It is an intermittent problem happening mostly on a recent disc I received. The disc plays fine on my computer drive.

Is there an laser head alignment (adjustable potentiometer on circuit board?) for mis-aligned heads maybe? The laser otherwise runs fine especially with SACD discs.

Thanks

Well...its been 4 years and my SA11s1 is not finding tracks again. That hasn't happened in years. I load a CD and it spins and spins and then returns "can't play". It is an intermittent problem happening mostly on a recent disc I received. The disc plays fine on my computer drive.

Is there an laser head alignment (adjustable potentiometer on circuit board?) for mis-aligned heads maybe? The laser otherwise runs fine especially with SACD discs.

Thanks

I think Stephensank predicted this. Good thing you already know how to do it.
It will take half the time.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.