Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

To be fair, it does look like there are multiple regs on that vero at the front and although its not that tidy, it will be better. Even lots of std 7805's will be better than 1 single one!!! Did this a few years ago in a Philips cd850 mki
I think that's 11 regs on the dac board lol!!
IMG_6058.jpg

I'm not sure about all that screening tho. Why not just connect it to the top layer screen rare than wire all round the player.
@UV101: Having seen your thread I went through the listing again and you are most probably right. It was mentioned that five LT1763-5 voltage regulators were used and as you said if that is the case it should be better than using the stock 7805 to supply the +5V to the circuits though the wiring are a bit messy.

For me I have doubt on the usefulness of screening the ICs and what I did was just sticking some copper foils on top of the ICs just for looking good ;)

I went through the datasheet of LT 1763-5 at the following link:

http://cds.linear.com/docs/Datasheet/1763fg.pdf

It seems that LT 1763 is a relatively simple and effective voltage regulator that can supply a max. output current of 500mA. The noise is quite low about 20uV(rms) while the ripple rejection is about 65dB which is considered marginally good.

I noticed the input power is taken from the digital rail which is about 16V then there will be a voltage drop of 11V in the regulator and would make the actual current output to be less than 200mA. Nevertheless I think this should just be sufficient to supply the current to a single DAC, a single decoder or the servo IC (but definitely not all ICs together).

Not withstanding the workmanship I think the end result must be better than just using a single 7805 for all the +5V circuits.

nice work

@UV101: Having seen your thread I went through the listing again and you are most probably right. It was mentioned that five LT1763-5 voltage regulators were used and as you said if that is the case it should be better than using the stock 7805 to supply the +5V to the circuits though the wiring are a bit messy.

For me I have doubt on the usefulness of screening the ICs and what I did was just sticking some copper foils on top of the ICs just for looking good ;)
nice work ian looks like a porcupines **** lol :p lol we all aint that bad i flick my solder off a hot blow lamp.:D

Last edited:
I noticed the input power is taken from the digital rail which is about 16V then there will be a voltage drop of 11V in the regulator and would make the actual current output to be less than 200mA. Nevertheless I think this should just be sufficient to supply the current to a single DAC, a single decoder or the servo IC (but definitely not all ICs together).

The voltage drop across the reg is not relevant to the current being drawn by the device(s) it's supplying.
Also the supply is likely to be before the 5v reg which should by about 10v. That rail is for all 5v stuff (analogue and digital) and the positive rail for the servo and driver ic's

I suspect the volt drop,will be in the order of 4v under playing conditions.

Hi

I contacted the ebay seller about the listing yesterday afternoon asking him to mention the 'other' work he had done. Ian was correct with what we did (probably 2 years or so ago now) and what they had added themselves.

He is a good customer of mine and is selling the cdp on behalf of his brother who no longer uses cds. As far as I am aware the cd player works fine and probably just needs tidying up internally.

regards
Brent

Last edited:
Hi

I contacted the ebay seller about the listing yesterday afternoon asking him to mention the 'other' work he had done. Ian was correct with what we did (probably 2 years or so ago now) and what they had added themselves.

He is a good customer of mine and is selling the cdp on behalf of his brother who no longer uses cds. As far as I am aware the cd player works fine and probably just needs tidying up internally.

regards
Brent

Hehehe!!!!

I was right......shame the mrs doesn't always agree!!!!!!