Attachments

• webs.jpg
    webs.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 253
Joined 2006
Paid Member
rowemeister said:
LOL

That's more common than you may think. I wonder what they are feeding on.

All my life I have been finding bugs and spiders inside high end aparatus.

Maybe they like the sound waves.... maybe they feed on electron transfer....

One friend of mine lives near a backery and when his VHS stopped working, he called me and after lifting the lid I found a big comunity of cockroaches living there...:rofl:

were do you connect the ground to, when using PowerRegs with there own PowerSupply

right now I have two 5v+ Regs on the DAC, 1 for Analogue, 1 for Digital. feeding power from the +10v in the Player

I have the Grounds of both Regs connected to the Grounds near the DAC
should I connect the Regs ground directly to the Analogue/Digital Ground Pins. do you still leave the Dac pins connected to the PCB if connecting directly

Eg for Analogue

+5vPOS - to Pin11 Vdda
-Ground - to Pin12 Vssa

Thanks

Joined 2006
Paid Member
e1roy said:
were do you connect the ground to, when using PowerRegs with there own PowerSupply

right now I have two 5v+ Regs on the DAC, 1 for Analogue, 1 for Digital. feeding power from the +10v in the Player

I have the Grounds of both Regs connected to the Grounds near the DAC
should I connect the Regs ground directly to the Analogue/Digital Ground Pins. do you still leave the Dac pins connected to the PCB if connecting directly

Eg for Analogue

+5vPOS - to Pin11 Vdda
-Ground - to Pin12 Vssa

Thanks
You should create a star GND and route all the GND there.

This makes a BIG improvement in all areas but particularly on the bass.

Search this thread for "star GND" and you will find all the answers.

Ricardo

I had planned on keeping this KI 63 standard so as to compare with my super modded 63 but couldn't resist the temptation. So in went the shottkys LM340-05 and the odd cap out went the crystal and TCXO clock in pair of OPA2134s Hdam bypassed muting trannies removed. These few mods made a huge leap in sound quality. Looks like I need to strt making another bunch of regulators Damnnnnnn!

Attachments

• p1010596.jpg
    p1010596.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 376
Ah yes, the Wenzel ' finesse regulator noise' circuit. It does work, but it's only really suited to the intended purpose (low-power, constant current draw - note the 10-15ohm resistor in series with the supply!) and to get any benefit you have to measure the performance and trim the emitter resistor values very carefully. Without this step, you get very little reduction in noise; with it, you can achieve30dB or so.

I found it didn't 'sound' very good if used on gain /line stage supplies. Worth playing with, in the right application.

Ricardo

I have searched the Thread, found lots of info.

when you say "create a star GND and route all the GND there"
you mean all grounds from all SRegs and all grounds on the CD PCB

I understand that all SReg Grounds should connect to the StarGround (and possible to the Earth from IEC)
where do I link the StarGound to the RCA Ground?

Thanks appreciate your help

RCruz said:

You should create a star GND and route all the GND there.

This makes a BIG improvement in all areas but particularly on the bass.

Search this thread for "star GND" and you will find all the answers.

Ricardo

e1roy said:

You've answered your own question. The star is just a point where all grounds go. The RCAs want a wire from them (as close to them as possible) to this new star point, as does the DAC, servo chip, decoder chip, super regs, other regs... etc

The next step would be to cut the original grounds, but don't do this until you have a very good understanding of what you're doing.

Simon

Joined 2006
Paid Member
e1roy said:

Simon already gave you the major hint.

im my case, I created a Star GND and connected it to the GND under C804 (That I removed).

You can connect it to the GND near the output RCA´s.

Then all GND from all the aditional regs and Psu go to the star GND.

You can connect this GND to Earth GND but I believe that it is not very important.

The star GND concept comes from the tube amps that need a star gnd to avoid GND loops.

You will notice a big improvement in bass and also a total absence of hum and noise.

Ricardo

Bugs

A bit/very OT, but a few years ago we had one (and only one) floorboard in the listening/living room riddled with woodworm. The speaker cables (QED C38) were suspended about one foot below the floor directly in line with the floorboard. The setup had been like that for about 15 years. I've never read about that anywhere.

DAC power supply(sssss)

First of all guys thanks for the comments over christmas. I've changed a few bits following you suggestions the most noticable being the addition of the Bessel filter. No change on the op amps yet but I'm def not finished here!

I'm now looking to improve the 5v supply and have a few questions.

I will 2 S-regulators + 10 LM340’s available

U164 brings all 5v to the DAC (remove)
U200 supplies pins 17,21,22,26
U261 supplies pins 16,27 and 3&7

From what I can see, 3&7 are the digital and the rest are analogue?

I will have 2 S-regulators + 10 LM340’s available

So what do I do?

I could put separate left (21&17) and Right (22&26) using the S-regs
Then separate 340’s for 16&27 and 3&7

The main 5v reg (Q811) will just be changed to LM340 for the time being (caps upgraded).

I guess I’m looking to use the S-Reg most effenciently then 340’s on the rest.

BTW Lee, my pockets are starting to shallow now!!!!
;)