Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Thanks for the answers guys!
But I have no Raygulators but the Marantz's 7805 in Q811. The LT1086 fixed 5V should be better there. ( I've Raygs only for opamps supply and a Brent's Super Reg for DAC Analog ). So DAC digital should be better feeded with the LT1086 than the ON Semi 7805 I think. I'll check with the datasheet like Ray said.

Once again I think I will stop modding my CDP, my speakers are no more matching my source and amp, I want to change for better ones and finish my dedicated room, wich are huge improvement !

After these 2 things I will think of going further, maybe an external PSU or Super Regs & discret output... later.

Matthieu

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Malefoda said:
( I've Raygs only for opamps supply and a Brent's Super Reg for DAC Analog ). So DAC digital should be better feeded with the LT1086 than the ON Semi 7805 I think.

I believe you will notice a big improvement replacing the stock 7805.

Can you please explain where do you connect the common pin of the sreg you are using in the analog dac ?

I will input 5v on U199 and pic the +10v elsewhere but where must I link the ground? (to U197 or U198 ??)

The star ground is very far away.....

Ricardo

lol. It does look very clean inside now, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I'm really surprised that I got the thing going again, at least it smashed the vase:D

I have one more reg for hf amp to fit, and then it's finished. I can't think of anything else to add to it, except expensive regs and I can't afford any yet!

Lee.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
6h5c said:
The circuit will work woth an 'A' version, but a 'C' version is better. The letter indicates the amplification factor of the transistor, and the 'C' is higher. But you can also use a BC548C, BC549C or BC550C, all the same.

I built a normal reg +5v with two red leds without the capacitor multiplier (I had no C version of the transistor).

In my workbench it oscilates a lot (quite fast from 4.94 to 5.11)

Is it normal ?

Can I use it in the dac ?

Ricardo

RCruz said:
I built a normal reg +5v with two red leds without the capacitor multiplier (I had no C version of the transistor).

In my workbench it oscilates a lot (quite fast from 4.94 to 5.11)

Is it normal ?

Can I use it in the dac ?

Ricardo

The fluctuations could be caused by the fact that you have no load on the output. Try to load it with a 10...47u capacitor and a 1k resistor. The output should be rocksolid then. If not, then maybe there's something wrong with your circuit.

Regards,

Ray

Joined 2006
Paid Member
6h5c said:

The fluctuations could be caused by the fact that you have no load on the output. Try to load it with a 10...47u capacitor and a 1k resistor. The output should be rocksolid then. If not, then maybe there's something wrong with your circuit.
Indeed the load it makes the fluctuations go away...!!!

Thank you Ray.

But i left the circuit burning during the night and now the output is only 2.45 v ...and the leds are not lighted.

I am using very small red leds.

Can this fault be dued to the led types?

Joined 2006
Paid Member
6h5c said:
Are you sure the regulator didn't overheat? They go into thermal shutdown if the temperature becomes too high. If the regulator tab gets too hot to touch after a few minutes, you need a small heatsink.
I really feel the reg too hot.... my bench transformer outputs 30v...

I will get one heatsink.

Nevertheless I replaced the LED by two red 8big size and the output is now 5.01~2 (with load).

I believe I do not need this 1k5 + cap load when feeding the dac.?!

Regards

Ricardo