Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

poynton said:

My local car shop still sells very reasonably priced sheets of deadening material, 3 for under 10 pounds.

NOTE not Halfords or the car audio shop. These are overpriced!!!!

Andy

EBay generally has a few shops selling it pretty cheap. BTW I've also had cork tiles used to good effect. They don't add much to the weight but they do increase the rigidity, Evo-stick is good to fix them with.

Pete

Re: marantz 67

quan said:
Hi guys, just wonder as i have both 63 and 67 can i swap the cd drive mech across the machines? I have tried the error mode but nothing showing. May be i have to undo all the mods to check it out? Thanks Quan.

Lee is right about swapping them, but I'm surprised you say that the error mode showed nothing. Are you sure you did it right?

In my experience it will always show something unless it actually plays the disc, even in a working machine. (e.g., if you don't put a disc in you still get an error code of focus or radial error etc).

Odd...

Now then - shortly I will be manufacturing Servo clocks and/or servo clock divide circuits (8.46Mhz) mainly for the CD63. I would like to know now much interest this/these circuits could generate.

They will be small and compact and not much bigger than this clock pcb.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

cheers
Brent

Hi all,

I'm listening to my CD63 again, thanks to Brent locating and fixing some problems with my Audiocom clock, and some solder joints and connectors (yes - various problems).

I also have two 7805s on my servo chip and he's added an S Power regulator to feed the analogue pins of my DAC.

The sound is stupidly good with even more detail, control and better treble.

A suspected weak laser is causing some tracking problems (only when reading TOC or skipping tracks on certain CDs) though. I may change the laser soon.

Lovely to be listening with this discrete output stage again - superb sound.

Simon

Hi Brent,

I don't have a Marantz but just thought I'd add a little comment
I fitted a pair of your S power regs in a guys cdp a few weeks ago, it used LM317/337 types so I had to remove the plugs and hardwire to the pcb using really short leads and bypassing/removing the resistors for setting the LM's output.
Anyway these made quite a difference, very nice lowering the noise floor and improving depth, very nice regs Brent well done;)

t. said:
I can also confirm they better than those ones from Audiocom regarding the resulting sound quality!

Ahha, that's very interesting. I have wondered about that. The design is obviously going to be somewhat similar, but part choices will be playing a part I guess. Brent's regs have large SMD caps that pack a lot of uF into a tiny space. They can also deliver something like 6amps current (with large heatsink) which the Audiocom ones can only dream of!

SimontY said:

Ahha, that's very interesting. I have wondered about that. The design is obviously going to be somewhat similar, but part choices will be playing a part I guess. Brent's regs have large SMD caps that pack a lot of uF into a tiny space. They can also deliver something like 6amps current (with large heatsink) which the Audiocom ones can only dream of!

I think it could be that mosfet thats used on the S power;)
They are better though in the sonics, I had to compare them to satisfy my Curiousity

t. said:
Hi Brent,

I fitted a pair of your S power regs in a guys cdp a few weeks ago, it used LM317/337 types so I had to remove the plugs and hardwire to the pcb using really short leads and bypassing/removing the resistors for setting the LM's output.
Anyway these made quite a difference, very nice lowering the noise floor and improving depth, very nice regs Brent well done;)

Thats great! Thanks you for the feedback it's much appreciated.

Being a fellow DIYer and audio engineer I have designed these regs to give high performance for little outlay. I designed them to be comparable to the Audiocom QPower but have the practicality of the Super reg.

cheers
Brent

t. said:
Hi Brent,

Thats great! Thanks you for the feedback it's much appreciated.

Being a fellow DIYer and audio engineer I have designed these regs to give high performance for little outlay. I designed them to be comparable to the Audiocom QPower but have the practicality of the Super reg.

cheers
Brent