Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Hi Guys,

Further tweaks this afternoon - still with the E88CC.
( Thanks to the Headwize site )

Voltage drop across the anode resistor was very high so I changed it from 12K to 5.6k.

Voltages are now more respectable.

B+ is 24v

Anode at 17.5v
Cathode at 2.2v
Grid at 1.7v

So, I am now going to try the small tubes

And it still sounds great !!!!!! which is what it's about.

Ray, give it a try - I think you will be surprised.

Andy

poynton said:
Hi Ray,

Connected the cathodes and kept the 2.2k to ground. With a B+ of 50v, the cathode is at 1.7v with the grids at 1.5v. So You may be right, not enough for a CCD.

Anyway, it sounds the same which is great!!!! Plenty of air and space, deep bass. It's good on 'modern' stuff like Madonna 'Music' and excellent on vocals - Sade etc. Acoustic guitar like Gypsy Kings - you can hear the fingers clearly. So I'm satisfied.

So now to the small valves and stereo !!

I am thinking of getting some pcb's made - anyone interested?

Ray, give it a try - I think you will be surprised.

Andy

Hi Andy,

I'm planning to build the passive filter part on the CD67 PCB tomorrow. Then I will hook-up my tube proto and see what it does at lower voltage. I also want to modify the HDAM circuit and see what that does. Then I can compare the SS against the tube buffer :D.

I think i'm going to stick with noval tubes, which i'm going to hard-wire, so my need for a PCB is not that big. Unless you make one for the pencil-tubes. Will it come with the tubes? :D

Cheers,

Ray.

Hi all.

I have done a mod which many of you will just laugh at :(

And its no where near has complex as the tube mod, but I am keeping an open mind.

The LED mod :cannotbe:

I will test this fully to see if there is any difference.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

rowemeister said:
Hi all.

I have done a mod which many of you will just laugh at :(

And its no where near has complex as the tube mod, but I am keeping an open mind.

The LED mod :cannotbe:

I will test this fully to see if there is any difference.

You've used the wrong shade of blue - should be more of a greeny shade!

perhaps they should alternate blue/green. Try 3 not 2 for better cover. They should also be arranged to rotate counterclockwise in sync with the motor.

Let us know the results.

Andy

My tube amp will have a bright orange led under each tube for maximum effect. ( if you gotta glow, you gotta glow! )

SimontY

?? if the blue leds can be detected in a blind test?

ray

"Allan, no luck with the scanner yet, will try again tomorrow. Some nasty XP driver problem with my parallel port scanner."

no problem and thank you for your help.

I'm collecting ideas,info and parts at present
Tent clock on order
May build the ALW super reg's, for decoder & dac
passive, fet or tube filter/out? undecided
probably try each and keep the one i like.

Only found one problem to evaluate with the cd850
cd67 run 16.*M clock cd850 11.*M
external dac clock would be a nightmare:xeye:

ps
rowemeister
arn't led's noisey?

allan

does look good though:D