Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

rowemeister said:

Some people beleive very firmly in attenuating the cd output.

'How do I cure that hard ‘CD’ sound?'

AndrewT said:

this sounds more like a better matched set of input/output impedances rather than better with a preamp.

Passive attenuator is difficult to get performing well if the source and receive impedances are dancing all over as you adjust volume.

The pre-amp if designed correctly is basically a buffered volume control and a switch.

Hi.

The RA advert is really 'snake oil' to solve a proble which is not there !!!

How many modern amps/pre-amps have an Aux / CD input with a sensitivity of 150mV ?? Even my long-departed Quad33 had adjustable sensitivity.

I agree entirely with AndrewT.

If there is an input/output mismatch, you will never get good sound.

Andy

Edit :- I use an Alps Blue to control the volume of my system.
OK for the moment but will probably replace when funds permit with a stepped attenuator. Rebuilding the Garage/workshop takes priority.

Re: cd6000 not so good anymore

Luke said:

Since all this work has been done the player now skips.

Is there any way of testing the laser or adjusting the voltage.

Hi.

I am sure nobody was deliberately ignoring your pleas for help. I go away for a day and there are so many new posts, it is easy to overlook one.

I have repaired a couple of CD6000s. The HF board under the CDM causes a lot of problems - chip failure.

There is no way to adjust the laser but as you have a CD67, you could swap over the mechs to see if the situation improves (obviously not the HF boards) Also check the HF connector for a good contact - swap ends.

EDIT :- Also clean all the grease off the rails of the CDM. It sometimes goes a little hard and 'sticky' preventing free movement of the mech. Do not regrease.

Andy

Will said:

Hi Simon,
Have you tried a TVC before ? It'll change your mind about active preamps forever....

cheers..

Hi Will,

No I have not tried one, yet. I have often heard it's one of the best ways to go, so I am curious, but put off by the cost.

AndrewT said:

Simon, this sounds more like a better matched set of input/output impedances rather than better with a preamp.

Passive attenuator is difficult to get performing well if the source and receive impedances are dancing all over as you adjust volume. But, it is possible with certain combinations.

Adding buffers before and/or after the volume help tremendously at correcting the required impedances.

Hi Andrew,

Yes, I'm aware that you need a buffer, which is virtually a preamp anyway, just with a little gain! It's still an extra stage to pass the signal through. I do not use loads of gain, but I also need the preamp/gain functionality for at least one other input (soundcard).

Will,
what's a TVC?

I believe it stands for Transformer Volume Control, but I could be mistaken! I think the advantage is that it takes care of impedances without introducing additional stages ie. it gives the best of "both" worlds.

Simon

SimontY said:

Hi Will,

No I have not tried one, yet. I have often heard it's one of the best ways to go, so I am curious, but put off by the cost.

Hi Andrew,

Yes, I'm aware that you need a buffer, which is virtually a preamp anyway, just with a little gain! It's still an extra stage to pass the signal through. I do not use loads of gain, but I also need the preamp/gain functionality for at least one other input (soundcard).

I believe it stands for Transformer Volume Control, but I could be mistaken! I think the advantage is that it takes care of impedances without introducing additional stages ie. it gives the best of "both" worlds.

Simon

Hi Simon,
It's not that expensive if you purchase from here:

http://www.promitheusaudio.com/tvc.htm

Trust me, it's one of the things you won't regret. I have 1 and it is a revelation. This TVC has killed many so called hi-end preamps.

Hi Andrew,
Yes it's short for Transformer Volume Control. Basically it minimises losses in energy unlike resistive based volume control. Reduction in voltage gains are converted to current, so even though at low volumes, there is still a considerable amount of body in the music - instead of being thin.

cheers..

Will said:
Hi Simon,
It's not that expensive if you purchase from here:

http://www.promitheusaudio.com/tvc.htm

Trust me, it's one of the things you won't regret. I have 1 and it is a revelation. This TVC has killed many so called hi-end preamps.

Will,

Thanks for the link, it looks like a product born out of a love of music. I don't really want a whole product though, I'd like to make my own "preamp". I will be looking into a TVC at some point down the road. I don't need any more convincing ;)

Back to the topic at hand, isn't it interesting that Audiocom's top CD63KI mods package comes with output transformers??

SimontY said:

Will,

Thanks for the link, it looks like a product born out of a love of music. I don't really want a whole product though, I'd like to make my own "preamp". I will be looking into a TVC at some point down the road. I don't need any more convincing ;)

Back to the topic at hand, isn't it interesting that Audiocom's top CD63KI mods package comes with output transformers??

I need convincing.

transformers can be wound fairly tolorance.
specially made for specific tolarances to match certain impedances at very high prices.

change the input(source) or output(amp)
and the transformer is just a hunk of iron.

allan

Hi Rowe,
which is best but there seemed to be more favour towards the 'T' over the 'L'. Some amp inputs did not like the resistor to gnd.
I am surprised you came to this conclusion.
Source impedance is one of the main factors in screwing up the carefully selected filters built into most amplifiers.

Similarly, unbuffered volume controls also screw up the impedance matches needed for those input filters, but even worse than a high source resistance.

Can I suggest you try just the Lpad and tell us which suits your system/ears.

AndrewT said:
Hi Rowe, I am surprised you came to this conclusion.
Source impedance is one of the main factors in screwing up the carefully selected filters built into most amplifiers.

Similarly, unbuffered volume controls also screw up the impedance matches needed for those input filters, but even worse than a high source resistance.

Can I suggest you try just the Lpad and tell us which suits your system/ears.

Already tried my friend ;)

I am using a 475 ohm series resistor and a 100 ohm to gnd (both 0.1%).

To be honest I cant tell a difference and as both seem to work fine on my set up. Ive gone for the 'L' as it has one less resistor.

Brent

awpagan said:
I need convincing.

transformers can be wound fairly tolorance.
specially made for specific tolarances to match certain impedances at very high prices.

change the input(source) or output(amp)
and the transformer is just a hunk of iron.

allan

Actually, I might never get to try this, as I'm going to be going a bit active soon and I don't think a TVC fits into these plans very neatly.

Allan, have you heard a TVC?

poynton said:

I haven't seen that, Simon.
Is it a new ad. ??

Andy

Hi Andy, it's old. They called it the Tenzing mod iirc, advertised on Ebay. It looked like it might sound very good, almost half as good as mine even :D

Simon

A while back I mentioned I was in discussions with a bloke and we were designing a low noise voltage regulator.
Well I have a batch here to test out and can conclude they are sonically better than the audiocom super reg, this was heard by only swapping the main 5V reg in a standard CD63 with both regs.
To be honest they should be better as we designed them to be, using lower noise components.

The chip cap at the bottom of the reg (next to the voltage ref component) is 10uF.

Rowegulators LOL

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I'll post the specs soon. Just a few details I need to check up on.

Brent

poynton said:

Hi

Very nice work !!
Will you be retailing them ??

Andy

They (to start with) are for doing our upgrade mods, but yes retailing them is a very big posibility. They are all RoHS too.

The pcb is designed to be a swap for the standard regs and also bolt to an heatsink. On a good heatsink the FET is capable of 8 amps.

I also have the negative version.

Brent

SimontY said:
Hi Ray,

Do you like that limp, lifeless sound? I prefer the sound with a preamp. Gutsy, with bass. I lived a while with the CDP straight into the power amp and it was not good enough.

IMHO

Simon

Well, first of all, thank goodness I haven't got limp, lifeless sound! But no, I don't like it. My player goes through a selector switch and a stepped attenuator, then straight on to the power amp. So I have a few contacts and two resistors in the signalpath, and no limpness at all. If it's better with a preamp, which means more electronics in the pathway (so that's contradictive), there must be something wrong with the way the player matches with the amp. Because less stuff most of the times sounds better. Did you try a better/different interconnect? I noticed the previous one I had was rather thin in the low-end, so cables can make a lot of difference.

Ray

avr300 said:
Nice. Will you be making PCB's?

You got a typo. C5 + C6, listed as uH.

Glenn2 said:
Nice work Ray!

Separate regs for each channel can't be bad either.

Thanks guys. C5 and C6 are supposed to be inductors, but I was too lazy to draw a shape, so I used electrolytics with the same outline :D.
And yes, i'm going to make some PCB's myself, but I don't know how much. If there's enough interest maybe a real batch can be made?

Ray

Hi chaps,

I put a common-mode choke in my CD67se (in the spot designed for it) but it seems to have sucked a bit of life from the sound.

I used the Panny part from Farnell (from Ray's list as I knew it would fit).

Do they burn in?

Am I hearing the effect of increased mains impedance?

6h5c said:
Well, first of all, thank goodness I haven't got limp, lifeless sound! But no, I don't like it.

Happy to hear it Ray! I didn't think for a moment you'd suffer much inadequacy in your sound :D

My experience gave me mixed feelings and I wouldn't say I'd never go back and try things at least once more before closing the door on such an idea. The sound I got wasn't gutsy enough, it didn't have the dynamic grip and vigour I was after. It was, however, very fluid and detailed, with very low grain. The quality getting better yet worse was very obvious in adding a preamp to the signal path. The next step is to reduce the impact of this as much as possible (low gain, good op-amp, good wiring, single stage etc.)

My interconnect was the Kimber Crystal Cu, an expensive wire.

My power amp was and is DIY using the National LM3886 non inverted with a gain of 34.