Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Evning ladies. Good luck si with the remaider of the servo mod, or should i say good luck brent ;)

Try not to blow this one up simon :clown:

Ive got some bitumen dampening on the way and hopefully some feet soon, so il update asap as im back in business.

Plus when i connect up my reg board (like simons) im wanting to go for a PSU upgrade at the same time so il be in touch (as im still a complete noob with the electronics thingy mi bingy bobies :))

disco said:

Noticed it this afternoon. :devilr:

DOBM = pin 2 of IC SAA7345

Cut R514 in Decoder Section, just below U179.
Cut 5V supply by removing U221.

Regards, Jaap

Ha haa saved me looking Jaap ;)

Also if anyone is trying the 75ohm coax rca mod I always thought the coax was a 50 ohm balanced output. My IXOS 105 digital interconnect with WBT connector :devilr: is 50 ohm.

So if this is the case use 2x 100 ohm res for the desired 50ohm.

Brent

Like this!

Attachments

• marantz8a.jpg
    marantz8a.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 364
rowemeister said:
Welcome back adfinni (is it adam finningan?) ;)

I have been running my cdp with this audiocom superreg on the servo clock. Its made a lot of difference.

It is much brighter, not in a bad way at all. It is just more open and clearer.

I must admit I am very suprised and happy with the difference it has made.

Now to test more cd's

Brent

hey, thanks brent.

Nearly got the spelling right, it's finnigan :p

Il hopefully start planning some monster mods asap when i have some money to spend, and time to complete them.

Brent/Simon

Confession time.. I missed posting the board yesterday but it has gone now via Royal Mail recorded delivery.

Reference No DH 0382 1989 5GB

I hope it works out ok I shall be lurking to see if that CD63 gets another chance.

Simon.. The jiffy bag and postage was peanuts it ain't worth the effort of paypal you can have this one on me. All diyers should carry a donor card you never know when a transplant is needed.

This was a friends KI who got a replacement from the builders who broke it, lucky it was not his Oracle TT that was packed away very close to the CD.I will look for the rest of it this weekend.

CD63 KI psu caps

Guys this is my first post so bare with me, I will be upgrading my Cd63KI with a Audiocom kit and clock etc.

Since my CD63 is the KI with the better capacitors in the PSU, is it of any benefit udgrading the psu caps to panasonic fc low esr as per previous posts? as it already has better psu caps i think ?

Ive already done the chassis damping, mute transistors and headphone jack mods, next is audiocom clock, invisus and superregs, waiting for the BYV95a shottkys to arrive for the rectifiers.

Re: CD63 KI psu caps

ImSparticus said:
Guys this is my first post so bare with me, I will be upgrading my Cd63KI with a Audiocom kit and clock etc.

Since my CD63 is the KI with the better capacitors in the PSU, is it of any benefit udgrading the psu caps to panasonic fc low esr as per previous posts? as it already has better psu caps i think ?

Ive already done the chassis damping, mute transistors and headphone jack mods, next is audiocom clock, invisus and superregs, waiting for the BYV95a shottkys to arrive for the rectifiers.

Hi ImSparticus..

I have just finished my ordering for Panasonic FC's from Farnell, and BYV95b, as BYV95a is obsolete. I'm upgrading a 63, so I'll "hope" that the Panasonic FC's is a step forward.

Anyone - your oppinion 'bout the FC's ?

Re: CD63 KI psu caps

ImSparticus said:

Hello Spartacus,

It seems some mods are adding to the reproduction quality big time, some reverse, some do only a little good. The essence is to listen for changes although it might take some time before they manifest.
A popular method is to take an album and play it over and over until you remember small details. The goal is to obtain most out of the recording: detail and dynamics but with neutral tonal balance.

Eighter you only change existing parts or completely alter the player's concept, how far you'd go depends on the amount of money to spend. Although the stock CD63 is already an above average player, simple costeffective mods can bring her to a higher level. Adding a dedicated clock, extra PSU's and a better output buffer takes her to the moon.

PSRR is a PSU property. It says how much distance (in Db) exists between noise/rumble and our hearing.
Funny thing is that inaudiable noise can be noticed through coupling with the music. We often name it as 'veiled sound'.
Now there are two ways to Rome: one that aims for high PSRR at high frequencies and one that aims at putting in as little noise as possible from the beginning. Both have followers and believers.

As all capacitors deteriorate musical sigal (especially when they're at lifes end) it's essential you take best quality for the audio path (bypassing analog PSUs for example). In my opinion Rubicon BG NX are best. Bypassing cheaper caps with PPS smd caps gives good results too.

Regards, Jaap

Re: Re: CD63 KI psu caps

avr300 said:
Hi ImSparticus..

I have just finished my ordering for Panasonic FC's from Farnell, and BYV95b, as BYV95a is obsolete. I'm upgrading a 63, so I'll "hope" that the Panasonic FC's is a step forward.

Anyone - your oppinion 'bout the FC's ?

Hi AVR,

I changed the servo, DAC and decoder decoupling caps for Panasonic FC and had a pleasant, if subtle, improvement. The music got smoother and more detailed.

Simon

Re: Re: Re: CD63 KI psu caps

SimontY said:

Hi AVR,

I changed the servo, DAC and decoder decoupling caps for Panasonic FC and had a pleasant, if subtle, improvement. The music got smoother and more detailed.

Simon

Hi Simon.

Eager to get your 63 home? Great that the servo is found.

Hmm, don't like the word "smoother". Not if it also means duller? It still has to be "right in your face" music. More details = welcome.

I'm planning to change the PSU, DAC and the OPAMP decoup. caps for FC's.

Re: Re: Re: Re: CD63 KI psu caps

avr300 said:

Hi Simon.

Eager to get your 63 home? Great that the servo is found.

Hmm, don't like the word "smoother". Not if it also means duller? It still has to be "right in your face" music. More details = welcome.

I'm planning to change the PSU, DAC and the OPAMP decoup. caps for FC's.

Hello, no it didn't get duller I don't think. But why not try Rubycon ZA/ZL? They're said to give a brighter sound. I did use OTT big ones btw, 3300uF. :hot:

I'm really keen to get my cd63 home :D