marantz cd6006 power supply issue

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all , i'm a bit stuck with a power supply , i have this marantz cd 6006 player i am trying to fix , there seemed to be an issue with the drive motor but i think it was down to the power supply failing , the main transformer is separate , i get 240v at the main transformer plug but it drops to 0 when i plug it in , i thought the transformer could have been shorted but it seems ok .
When i connect the transformer directly to the mains and it works ok without getting hot .
Here are some photos of the psu , i have checked all the caps on the power board , they seem fine . and the 2 transistors on the black heatsinks , they are ok , The third black heatsink is a voltage regulator (7805A) there is no voltage getting to this though ..
If anyone is familiar with this board and could point me in the right direction i would be very grateful .

Dropbox - marantz psu.jpg - Simplify your life

Dropbox - Photo 25-01-2020, 10 10 57 am.jpg - Simplify your life

heres the back of the board

Dropbox - Photo 28-01-2020, 6 49 13 pm.jpg - Simplify your life

Last edited:
Hello. Check the continuity of the windings of the transformer with an ohmeter, analog or digital. High voltages will measure higher resistances because of they have many turns of thin wire while lower voltage will give little resistance as they have few turns of fat wires. No one must measure more than 2KΩ.

marantz psu (1).jpg

Photo 25-01-2020, 10 10 57 am.jpg

Photo 28-01-2020, 6 49 13 pm.jpg

Photo 28-01-2020, 7 10 33 pm.jpg

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
As to your fault...

The primary voltage on the transformer dropping from 240V to 0V when you power up and plug the transformer in suggest a very high resistance connection somewhere.

Bizarre causes can be actual fuses themselves where the fuse wire is just touching the end cap internally. I've come across that only once or twice in literally thousands of repairs over many years. Also fuse holders. Check the mains plug as well.

Mains switches are another much more likely cause. Even a fracture in the mains lead could do this.

It has to be something like this causing the incoming supply voltage to fall to zero.

As to your fault...

The primary voltage on the transformer dropping from 240V to 0V when you power up and plug the transformer in suggest a very high resistance connection somewhere.

Bizarre causes can be actual fuses themselves where the fuse wire is just touching the end cap internally. I've come across that only once or twice in literally thousands of repairs over many years. Also fuse holders. Check the mains plug as well.

Mains switches are another much more likely cause. Even a fracture in the mains lead could do this.

It has to be something like this causing the incoming supply voltage to fall to zero.

ok , tried another fuse , a different mains lead and a different wall outlet . same fault ,

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Its a bit hard to figure out from pictures... however there appears to be a relay and a small auxiliary standby power supply.

If it is configured like that then is the relay closing correctly?

Is the standby supply OK? It is quite common for the internal thermal fuse to fail on these small kinds of transformers.

The 240V across that ceramic cap suggests the relay is not closed. I think it is wired across the contact. This is also why you see 240V when the transformer is not connected. The cap allows enough AC current to pass so that the meter reads the open circuit voltage correctly.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I have a Marantz Pearl Lite SACD and the PSU is fairly similar. Small standby transformer at the top, the relay in the middle and the large main transformer below.

If the transformer is open then it should be possible to fit a small generic replacement for well under a fiver.

Edit... I remembered this from last year which could be similar.

Marantz SA-KI Pearl Lite REPAIR

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-01-30 074036.jpg
    Annotation 2020-01-30 074036.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 96
I have a Marantz Pearl Lite SACD and the PSU is fairly similar. Small standby transformer at the top, the relay in the middle and the large main transformer below.

If the transformer is open then it should be possible to fit a small generic replacement for well under a fiver.

Edit... I remembered this from last year which could be similar.

Marantz SA-KI Pearl Lite REPAIR

The relay seems ok i put 24 vdc across the coil and it seems to be closing ok

Attachments

• Photo 30-01-2020, 7 03 41 pm.jpg
    Photo 30-01-2020, 7 03 41 pm.jpg
    844.1 KB · Views: 97
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.