Marantz CD-50 and CD-60, TDA1541, CDM4/19

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Possible layout for transformers(one for clock one for TPR), TPR and PS for TPR
Layout_in_cd60_3.jpg

Layout_in_cd60_2.jpg

Layout_in_cd60_1.jpg

This is what I started with at the beginning, pic taken while fixing the cd-clamp
cd60_inside_1.jpg

Hello Mayday!

Good to see your experiment with your player.
I have a cd-40 that modified a half year ago. It's just sound incredible good.
Now I listen with an Infinity Qa speaker with EMIT tweeter, just superb detailed and transparent with a lots of air.
Super in every way.
Never go back for normal speaker that for sure.
I read ecdesign's treat all over and tried some of his circuit.

You should try the reg for the 1541 its cheap to build and worth a lot!! clean power very important!

there is an easy way of DEM sync with the WS signal. used with the I2S attenuator.
The wima caps not the best solution and after the I2S att. is not needed at all.
Here is a part from the DEM clock from ecdeign:

"The DEM clock needs to have low jitter and induce lowest possible crosstalk. The problem is that the DEM clock needs to be injected in an on-chip oscillator that must not be allowed to oscillate.

The DEM clock has direct effect on the bit errors of the 6 MSBs in the TDA1541A, and on-chip crosstalk (inter modulation between DEM clock and other on-chip clocks) thats why there are clearly audible differences between DEM clock circuits.

I noticed that the indicated 200KHz DEM clock causes a number of issues like problems with active divider settling time, crosstalk with on-chip clock signals, ground-bounce, and problems with external decoupling film caps (inductance).

Other problems are the extra divider and inverter required to derive the DEM clocks that add jitter (every logic element adds jitter). The DEM clock distribution among multiple TDA1541A chips is also problematic.

So I tried to design a simple but highly effective DEM clock injection circuit that uses one of the local I2S signals.

After some experimenting I decided to use the WS signal (44.1 KHz). Decoupling cap value can be increased to approx. 400nF (390nF) in order to achieve similar filter characteristics although 100nF worked fine too.

WS was connected to the anode of a Schottky diode, the cathode was connected to a resistor of exactly 13K, and the resistor was connected to pin 16. Pin 17 was left unconnected.

The value of 13K corresponds with a WS signal amplitude of exactly 3.3V (SD-transport I2S output level). The value needs to be increased to 14 ... 15K when when using 5V signal level. The value of the resistor is critical, too high tolerance will prevent the on-chip DEM clock from tracking. This method uses current steering, so the current deviations must be tuned in such way that the DEM oscillator tracks reliably."

I hope you find it useful. I know its a long way to achieve our goal.

Attachments

• led-reg.jpg
    led-reg.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_0191.JPG
    IMG_0191.JPG
    594.6 KB · Views: 194
With the Valab clock I've ordered, I can connect that to both SAA7220 and TDA1541?

Schematic is for PS of the TDA, right?

the led-regulator above is for the TDA. the 7220 needs more mA. this led-reg more superior to any kind of superreg around her on the forum.
build it, test it and you will hear a difference.

i didn't do anything with clock yet. Only disabled the oversampling and use the 7220 for the clock with clean PS.

OK. You can try,but I think this circuit only good around 100mA, 7220 needs more.

there is one more thing that improves the PS a lot is the 3 stepped regulator, very simple.
I dig up the circuit and will post it.

Can you explain why this reg shouldn't be able to handle more than 100mA? yes, typical for SAA7220 is 180mA.
nicke_tpr_m_leds_2.jpg

Edit: maybe you ment the one from schematics you posted? The one above is the one I've built.

Last edited:
OK i got it!!

yours just fine for that. I find the PS circut this one is can be used just before your reg. Reduce noise sicnificantly.

Attachments

• modpwrsupl.jpg
    modpwrsupl.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 292
  • conventional-rectifier.jpg
    conventional-rectifier.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 281
  • 3-stage-stepped-rectifier.jpg
    3-stage-stepped-rectifier.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 269
Btw, our Dobermann is imported from Hungary :)
I've been there once when I was about 13.

Nice dog you got!! Love dobermanns.
I did build this 6 mounts ago, since then I just keep listening.
I try to find some simple explanation, what it does and how to build.
I'm beginner but could build it at first time.
when you have a lots of time start reading ecdesigns treat. worth it.

Nice dog you got!! Love dobermanns.
I did build this 6 mounts ago, since then I just keep listening.
I try to find some simple explanation, what it does and how to build.
I'm beginner but could build it at first time.
when you have a lots of time start reading ecdesigns treat. worth it.

Thanks!!

Here he is at 3 years old(this summer)
IMG_4141.jpg

I'll read that when I feel concentrated and have the time.

Beautiful dobermann!!!

I got so money documents... I did saved from the thread, that was almost 300 pages,ahhh

I find another pic from the circuit, tried to highlight the main point.
I hope that easier to understand. of course you only need one side for 7220.
for you 2x9V transformator should work, thats what i had. I will check mine circuit.
For me Goran made a PCB that fits in the side of the player.
the thread is here somewhere, marantz cd40 or so.

from ecdesign:

"I started by using the new Floating CT power supply, this interrupts both GND and power supply connections, creating a true "floating" power supply, reducing the effect of ground loops.
In order to reduce ripple voltage, the floating CT supply is followed by a capacitance multiplier, emulating approx. 750,000uF."

Attachments

• step-r1(2).jpg
    step-r1(2).jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 156
  • the good PSU1.jpg
    the good PSU1.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.