Mar-Kel70 in Sweden

Try contacting local commercial millwork/furniture/high kitchen cabinet shops for names of their suppliers.

Why might not get the same kind of price break on one or two sheets that the commercial trade will see, but you can often source materials not normally available to the "retail" trade.

Translated from chrisb's text to Swedish, to help Rullknufs:

"Försök att kontakta kommersiella trä/möbel/köksskåps-affärer och få namn på deras leverantörer.

Du kommer kanske inte att få samma förmånliga pris hos leverantören på ett eller två ark som dom kommersiella affärerna kan ge, men du kan ofta få tag på material som normalt inte är tillgängliga på den normala marknaden (Bauhaus etc.)."

Probably you get caught too often when reading dirty books. Swap the jacket.
As to Chris´s idea - excellent. Kitchen work surfaces can make very "designer" looking front panels, and sometimes the sizes you need are cutoffs you can have for free.
Redrawing the plan to that thickness and chamfering the speaker cutout...so what, it´s a hobby.

Why not? Wooden kitchen work thingies - not solid wood but sawed into staves and glued together, so it doesn´t warp.
Corian - recycled plastic shredded and made into solid boards. Can be worked with woodworking tools, but wear a mask. Always wear one anyway, read up on miners´ disease.

As to books - look up the "Flashman Papers". Impossible to translate and real fun. Old enough to be found secondhand at ama***.

Why not? Wooden kitchen work thingies - not solid wood but sawed into staves and glued together, so it doesn´t warp.
Corian - recycled plastic shredded and made into solid boards. Can be worked with woodworking tools, but wear a mask. Always wear one anyway, read up on miners´ disease.

As to books - look up the "Flashman Papers". Impossible to translate and real fun. Old enough to be found secondhand at ama***.

Pit- FWIW, (or IMHO ) I'd suggest against using Corian or similar acrylic/polyester resin solid surface materials for anything other than accents on loudspeaker enclosures, which I've done several times with very pleasant results.

Structural fabrication with these materials requires more than just woodworking tools - most particularly rather expensive 2 part adhesives and proprietary mixing "guns" - and finishing /polishing is rather a PTIA as well.

My suggestion for Niklas to approach commercial millwork or high end kitchen cabinet fabricators was to identify their supply sources of specialty plywoods such as "Baltic / Finnish / Russian" Birch plywoods that he might have trouble locating at the average retail outlet. For example, in Canada & USA there are several "big box" chain stores such a Home Depot, Rona, Lowes, etc that cater more to the DIY handyman - if you ask their average sales consultant about "Baltic Birch" or ApplePly, you'll likely get a blank stare.

Last edited:
Chris - as usual: a few thousand miles make a difference.
Finnish or Russian BB is mainly sold in top notch quality over here, American apple ply is unknown - and things in Sweden, although they are close neighbours, may be completely different again.

Bit of a problem when trying to help each other.:dead:

How´s life with the traditionally housewrecking weather at this time of year in Canada?

Last edited:
Is that in metric or are you just boasting?

boasting or not, it's the truth - spring and summer here are very nice - generally quite temperately mild, when it's not raining of course

Cementing Corian: Ask The Man In The Shop.
We work with this stuff in our shop everyday, and I can speak to the matter of fabrication with some experience . Yes you can cut/machine it with sharp carbide / diamond tooling, and decorative edging /highlight strips can be attached to wood cases with white PVA wood glue, but building a speaker enclosure solely from any of the brands of Solid Surface materials with any structural integrity would be more of a challenge than a newbie should consider.

Posting brand names unavailable outside your village just helps starting WW3. I try to promise to try to shut up.:D
we all try to live up to such promises, but inevitably fail :rolleyes:

cheers, Pit

Hi again.

I've realised that if i sell my speakers and work a little the upcoming weeks i can get quite much money. Can have a budget of around 500$.
For 500$ i want to build something that's easy to build and sounds great. And it has to fit in my room and with my amplifier. What would you recommend?
It also has to be able to play quite loud and play hardrock such as Disturbed - Stricken.

What do you mean with can't do it the cheap way?
And let's say that i sell my current speakers and subwoofer and work some the coming weeks i can get around 600$ to spend, but i'd like to keep it as cheap as possible but still having it sound better than i got at the moment.
What would you recommend me to build? It has to be easy to build for a first-timer.