Mar-Kel70 in Sweden

Cutting boards?
Sorry but i don't know all those words yet, heh ;P

Okay, but MDF is suitable for the stepped deflectors (thinking of having stepped at the bottom)?

you should see a rough initial cut plan shortly - actually quite a brilliant plan - something I've done before, just for some reason never though of mentioning.

anyway -this nests tapered side panels, reduces the length of back and eliminates 1 piece per enclosure for the tops - leaving enough material for driver braces and probably stepped deflectors from the same sheet.

watch this space

Ahh i see. Skärbräda, as we call it.
Yeah, should be possible to get one very cheap. I think we even got some sparebits of hardwood somewhere at home. The are sparebits of everything at my home hehe.

Thanks!
Yeah, it should give a lot of more space if you cut the top, it even looks way better. Would be nice to fit the stepped deflectors so i don't have to use ugly-looking MDF for it :p

Last edited:
Niklas, ASK how big a standard sheet you get. In Germany the usual measures are 207 x 280, p. ex.

Pit, IINM, Niklas' queries on nesting parts on cut plan would suggest the size is 4x8ft (1219 x 2438mm) - those are the dimensions on which I based my layout posted by Dave above

Note this is rough layout only, and is not fully dimensioned, nor show use of offcuts for stepped deflector parts

FWIW, I've been using 5x5ft (1524 square) for so long now, that I need to physically draw out for "standard" sheet size.

Niklas, ASK how big a standard sheet you get. In Germany the usual measures are 207 x 280, p. ex.

The 10mm plywood they had at the place i went to was 1x2m and they had lots of other bigger ones, probably 1220x2440mm ones. And looking on the internet makes me think 1220x2440 is standard since i see that everywhere i look. If it fits on a 4x8feet board it fits on 1220x2440mm board aswell.

No stress no stress!
It's okay if it wont be finished untill next week. But, you've forgotten two deflectors in the one that was posted earlier.

By which you mean parts for the internal deflectors within the driver chamber - those would easily come out of off cut parts, but will certainly be included on the itemized list.

The primary point to the initial plan was to show how tight the cutting for the nested layout would be. I'd rip the sheet lengthwise, rough cut the angles on the tops with jig saw or by hand, then flush trim with router after assembly.

If you fabricate stepped deflectors, there would be a total of 8 beveled cuts in the entire project - the tops and driver chamber deflectors - all others would be at straight 90deg. Use a new/newly sharpened blade!

No, the ones on top/bottom. I only saw two deflectors.

What do you mean with rip it lengthwise? And i will rough cut it and fix it nicely by hand afterwards.
Will try to cut it at a local store if possible. If not possible i guess dad's got the tools needed :p

to be continued on the Lotus thread

well maybe it'll be a while before that happens

"Rip" means to cut length wise (or in the case of 5x5ft material - along the grain)

"Cross cut" of course means across the grain.

Which order you follow depends on the pattern you've established for most efficient material yield.

If you look closely at the drawing, the 4 deflector panels are in the vertical stack of parts second from the right, and of course 2 of those would be eliminated if you "staircase" them

Last edited:
Dad´s tools, eh? Take a father-and-son trip to the hardware store. Wolfcraft (if available in Sweden) have copied some Festool goodies for less than half the price. Needs a bit more time to use them, that´s why professionals don´t buy them.

He has lots of tools. He built our winter cottage 2001-2005 aswell as fixing and old house 2009-2011. I can see tools everywhere and he got a few high-quality things actually. They will be enough, anyways i could go to a carpentry store (?) and cut them.

to be continued on the Lotus thread

Where?

He has lots of tools. He built our winter cottage 2001-2005 aswell as fixing and old house 2009-2011. I can see tools everywhere and he got a few high-quality things actually. They will be enough, anyways i could go to a carpentry store (?) and cut them.

Where?

Well, I spoke too soon - I thought that Dave had already split the thread.

At this point, he'll have to carefully separate the related posts, so I'll probably just work on the revised cut plan 'til then.

cheers

Chris - splitting the thread, does that mean I have to start thinking about building Lotus? Size of my basement atm I can´t even make a proper cage for a combat hamster.

Pit, that's entirely up to you, but having spent a couple of hours drawing out the 4x8 sheet cut plan for Niklas, I Woden be surprised if I build a pair soon - I've been looking for an excuse to buy that size a sheet of EuroPly.

Sometime in the next few hours or over the weekend, Dave will likely post the cut plan revised for staircase deflectors and dimensioned parts list - including notes for bevel cuts

Last edited: