Mar-Kel70 in Sweden

Wow!
I temporarily live in my brother's room and use the Mar-Kel70 on my desk and they aren't that bad actually! The bass is quite good, but it's a little boomy but i guess that dampening them correctly will sort that out.

The order from canada is put on ice for the moment. I have learned that there's order things i might have to pay. There are guides on the internet but it makes no sense. I will go to the post office tomorrow and ask them, they should know.

The order from Canada probably wont happen. The total cost is around 260 CAD, a little more than i had hoped for. The dampening material isn't worth the around 500-600 swedish crones i will have to pay for it when ordering from Canada.

Hopefully i will go to Sundsvall in not too long so i can visit some stores and search for something. I will also ask my parents if they know any place around here that might have anything interesting.

This has been an interesting story - I've been following it from time to time.

A question: Were there any pictures in the thread? I'd love to see these speakers. I have a soft spot for the looks of most of the Mark Audio-based drivers.

Hi!
Cool that you have been following the thread from time to time. I guess you know i didn't build any Lotus speaker, right? I built the Mar-Kel70 with EL70 instead of Lotus with CHR-70.

I can get some speakers for you if you want to, but they are far from finished yet.

Here are some pictures i took some days ago: Minhembio.com - Hemma hos Ala_95 - Flytten

Varsågod, Kristleifur. I really love a band from Iceland called Mezzoforte ;)

By the way, i've spoken some more with Bob and he got it to around $200 which isn't that bloody painful. A "hundring" (100 swedish crones) or two more expensive than buying "locally" here in Sweden but i also get the dampening material. I will do some more research tomorrow, all i got in my head right now is naturescience. Got an exam tomorrow :S

Varsågod, Kristleifur. I really love a band from Iceland called Mezzoforte ;)

By the way, i've spoken some more with Bob and he got it to around $200 which isn't that bloody painful. A "hundring" (100 swedish crones) or two more expensive than buying "locally" here in Sweden but i also get the dampening material. I will do some more research tomorrow, all i got in my head right now is naturescience. Got an exam tomorrow :S

good luck on the exams, and congrats on your speaker project (they get easier)

Now i understand the "midrange-magic" of fullrangers. I listen to a song earlier today and as it is right now i'm quite much off-axis. I lowered my chair and decided to listen some on-axis nearfield. I was chocked of how good it sounded, with a 192kbps mp3 file... And the speakers aren't even finished yet!

Revelation, isn´t it? Like focussing the image in a SLR camera...BANG! and it´s there.
As to speaker stands - there´s a very unknown furniture shop somewhere in the deepest woods of Sweden...their flowerpot stands cost less than building your own, and will do a good job until you can afford something really heavy.

Sade just knocked me out of my socks!
Sade - Morning Bird

The piano is so realistic, and the soundstage is HUGE! Bigger than i ever expected these tiny little driver to produce! I might even keep them on the desk when i move back to my own room :D
And the bass... I'm pushing them quite far now by listening louder than i usually do on these speakers but the bass is... Deeper than i expected too. The "punch" is still there, even though they're bloody 4" drivers!
Amazing, for the cost of... Barely nothing. I think it's impossible to find a speaker on Hi-Fi Klubben (selling B&W and all such in Sweden) under $1000 that performs better than these.

I will have a friend over at my house who is about to buy my subwoofer (i hope) so i'll let him listen aswel and experience DIYmagic! :D