making the cloth surround of a speaker less lossy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Pliobond is an exceptionally poor choice, sorry. It hardens and stiffens with time, so ues your speaker would not bottom out easily now both because the Fs went higher and because the surround is far stiffer than it was (which also raised the Fs).

_-_-bear
"Pliobond is an exceptionally poor choice" ...as is everything else mentioned. Many good speakers have been ruined by applications of various sealants such as thinned window caulk etc. Even the Permatex eventually hardens and changes the Fs of the speaker. The ONLY suitable stuff has been formulated by RoyC (of classicspeakerpages.net). He may sell it directly or you can get it from the Vintage_AR ebay store.

In building a closed-box system with a Selenium 12PW5-SLF 12" woofer, I discovered that the cloth surround of the woofer is very lossy. I know that because I tried attaching some 3/8" dia. poly foam caulk saver in front of the surround next to the woofer's frame with (what else?) duct tape. As soon as I did that, my maximum impedance reading for the woofer (at Fc, of course) increased dramatically. As mechanical Q of the box system relates inversely to the system losses, and impedance at resonance is according to the ratio of Qmc to Qec, the max. Z reading gives me a quick indicator of box losses.

What I'm wondering is if any one here has found a way to permanently reduce leaking (losses) of a cloth surround without significantly raising free air resonance Fs? I would like to permanently reduce the leaking of the Selenium woofer's surround.

My thought was to apply rubber-based contact cement, but I don't know if this would work or really ruin the woofer.

Why do I want to do this? The Selenium woofer has a very high Qms/ Qes that I would like to preserve as much as possible in a closed-box system partly to prevent Qtc from being significantly less than Qec. Qts of this woofer equals 0.31, and I don't want a really small box in order to get Qtc equal to about 0.7.

Come on, if nowhere else, there must be someone here who has treated a cloth surround to stop the leaks, I guess.

Thanks if you can share your experience,
Pete

Hi,

I can't follow your logic or method. If the surround is "lossy"
Qms can't be 16.3 as in the spec, in the spec the driver
has a huge impedance peak already implying low
mechanical losses, which you can't sensibly reduce.

Driver Qts (0.31) is already virtually Qes (0.32) and
boxes won't change that much. I cannot believe there
is something wrong with the surround of the driver.

Stuffing of sealed box of course will affect losses,
Qtc versus Qec, but that is the point of sealed
and stuffed boxes for most proper use of them.

You have no choice about the size of the box for a given Q.
"Qts of this woofer equals 0.31, and I don't want a really
small box in order to get Qtc equal to about 0.7."

It is mystifying what your trying to do and by what method.

The driver is clearly intended for vented boxes, not sealed.

rgds, sreten.

FWIW If there is an air leak problem in the surround I'd use Copydex
to seal it, but I severely doubt here it would have any effect at all.
Still it most likely would reduce driver Fs, not increase it.

Last edited:
Bringing back dead threads?

Best to read the dates, folks.

But, use professionally formulated compounds on speakers, the same ones used by OEMs. Go to a local recone shop and pay a little bit for letting them sellyou a bit or put it on your old speaker. Period.

_-_-
Nothing wrong with reviving an old thread if it is still relevant. Unfortunately there are still people putting all sorts of awful concoctions on their cloth surrounds.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Oh goody an old thread!Many years ago I used a product known as , dimensional fabric and craft paint pen, made by Polymax (black shiny No.PM 101).It was used to seal the cloth roll surrounds on a pair of Wharfedale Super 10 RS DD's.Unlike the original black rubber sealant ,the dimensional paint has remained elastic.The brand name has changed to ''Duncans''.

What is "dimensional fabric and craft paint pen"?
Something for drawing on fabric that will bend and stretch with the fabric?
How is it different than the usual fabric "paints"?

Got a link to the mfr's page? If it or something like it is sold here there is a MSDS sheet that lists the primary components...

... in speakers the stiffness and thickness counts.

Another product to use is "On and Off Glue" some times called De Ja Vue glue, it is used primarily for the temporarily attachment of cloth patches (like scout badges etc) to clothing, apply and let dry and it remains permanently flexible and sticky, great paper cone dampener (though use carefully because you cant take it off)

Joined 2010
Paid Member
What is "dimensional fabric and craft paint pen"?
Something for drawing on fabric that will bend and stretch with the fabric?
How is it different than the usual fabric "paints"?

Got a link to the mfr's page? If it or something like it is sold here there is a MSDS sheet that lists the primary components...

... in speakers the stiffness and thickness counts.

It is the description of the product on the label.The original
manufacturer was Polymerics,Inc.Natick,MA 01760.Just up the road from you.It is now known as Duncans.

Geez.

Folks, you need to understand that there are lots of things that are sticky, lots of things that are flexible. Now.

If you care about how it will be in a decade or more, then you need to think about it more carefully. Things like the Plasti-dip spray or dip don't hold up well over time. (shame that is...)

The stuff that is used by the mfrs and sold to OEMs for these purposes are designed to stay stable and maintain specs over a long period of time.

Guess on inexpensive drivers it makes little difference, but on not so cheap drivers, exercise caution.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Duncan Enterprises,
5673 East Shields Avenue,
Fresno,CA. Zip Code 93727.
Looking them up also revealed that they have Aleenes as one of their products.The shiny black dimensional paint was beneficial in being able to see that the surround was fully covered and afterwards,by checking against a light,to check that no pin prick holes remained unfilled.

Strange that no one has yet mentioned liquid latex rubber.

It can be diluted, brushed on in thin coats, lightweight, remains flexible for decades and is easily removable, so perfect for experimentation.

That old-school speaker dope seems to be a closely guarded secret...hard to believe none of the Big DIY Brains has cracked the formulation yet....although I do recall that Zen Mod had a thread about creating his own flexible cloth surround "stickem dope" out of the adhesive found on those old fly-paper traps.....

Things like the Plasti-dip spray or dip don't hold up well over time.

Proof?

I have some trim pieces on my car that I covered 3 years ago. The car sits it direct sun all day and deals with salt/snow in the winter. I treat the plasti dipped parts with 303 Aerospace every few months and the coating still looks like the day I put it on. I imagine in an indoor environment it would pretty much last forever.

On a side note, 303 Aerospace is amazing stuff as well. I put it on the hardened foam surrounds of my PhaseTech PC80 mains that were starting to crack and they softened right back up. That was about 5 years ago and they're still soft and pliable.

Latex hardens over time and with exposure to UV and air. So, NG except for short term.

Well, perhaps they have changed the formulation of the Plasti-dip stuff. Which they well may have done. It has been quite some time since I worked with it. So perhaps a re-investigation is in order.

No idea what 303 Aerospace is, so more investigation in order.

Any different than Armorall type stuff??

Extremely different. Armor-all is some nasty stuff. My daughter bought me an Armor-all car care kit for fathers day and I cringed inside when she handed it to me. I put 303 in the Armor-all bottle so she thinks that I use it.

303 won't "build up" and it's not sticky like armor-all. It's really more of a UV protectant than a finish, but it does bring some life back to dull and aged surfaces. It's pretty much all I use on the interior and exterior of my car (other than a good wax for the paint).

Plasti Dip??:eek:
Bought some a while back for dipping some tool handles (I'm assuming it's the 'stuff' of discussion) Thick as Chewing gum Goop, Smells like it is full of laquer thinners. Dutifully dipped handles. Let them dry, finding the stuff had shrunk to micro thickness. Re dipped 4/6 times trying to achieve a palpable cushioning layer.. unsuccessfully.. 3 months later, the Very thin layer first wore through then fell off the tool handles.

Clearly not something I will buy OR use again in my lifetime.

PS; one can 'Buy' the stuff of those horrid Fly strips as Tanglefoot from a Garden supply store

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.