Making a Square Tractrix Horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you make the horn longer, with the same mouth and throat area, it will not be fully formed (exit <90deg) but will go lower with ripples (see pic). I don't think the exit angle matters at these low freq
Interesting! I try to deceide between a fully formed Tractrix, and a different contour that will go lower. If the exit angle doesn`t matter much at the midbass frequencies, I would not build Tractrix. max mouth size is 80x50cm, and total length about 85cm (including back chamber).

Well thank you for all your input. Here is the finished horns. They have a 4 inch square throat (as the Voigt Domestic Corner Horn) and 3 foot square mouth. They are being demoed at the Audio Jumble in Tonbridge Kent tomorrow if anyone lives nearby.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    68.3 KB · Views: 280
The demo was very well received, even with there only being space for I speaker. I forwarded my friend some of your comments. He sent me the following which might be of interest about the history of Voigt’s tractrix speaker.

“Interesting to see forum comments........As you say, Voigt did not publish nor did he leave any plans for the Tractrix Horn .....after making his first 4’ Tractrix Horn for his Lab using a sawing jig of his own design to achieve the varying angle of the frame sides, he entrusted the next Horn to an Irish carpenter whom he knew. Paul Voigt suggested to him that he would need to use a special jig. However, the carpenter told Voigt he had been in the carpentry trade for 30 years and assured Voigt it was no problem to make without any such jig, that the angle did not vary.... Paul Voigt decided not to argue as he had learnt not to with these “experts”. After the carpenter had finished the Flare sides of the horn he found it was was well nigh impossible to fit the horn together!!!!”

This was a really awkward practical problem for my friend to solve.

He is very interested in the plans mentioned and I will also message you Ivo for details.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.