Make your stereos look good without anodizing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's a bit tricky intro but I would probably not get much traffic if I said: "Info on Alodine needed".
And that's what it's all about. I was finishing front plate for my amp yesterday and quite accidentaly decided to try something new. I polished my plate and then bathed in alodine solution. For everybody who doesn't know what it is I can only say that it's used in aircraft parts making. Before painting each aluminum part is alodined and that is an extra protection against corosion.

As you see on a picture the plate has nice, gold finish. In some applicationes it looks really nice and that color is quite popular now with stereo makers. You can make it darker or lighter, depending on how long you keep the part in alodine solution. It may be cheap alternative to anodizing but there is no choice as to color.

I had some alodine from my previous work but I know that it's a powder mixed with water. Can somebody provide me with the info where can it be obtained from?

Attachments

• alod.jpg
    alod.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 1,575
It's better to use all those precleaners but it's not really necessary. I have alodined a lot of aircraft parts prior to painting and all it really takes is to put the part in solution for couple of minutes and rinse it after. Of course the part has to be clean, but when you sand it or polish before alodining it's all you need.

I have also seen how the alodine solution was prepared at Bomardier Aerospace. It came as a powder in bags and was mixed with water. And that's what I'm looking for: the alodine powder.

Peter,
I'd also be interested in buying some alodine for chassis work. I'm planning on making some faceplates for a preamp this summer.

By the way, were do you buy your aluminium, and do you have the shop cut it to size or do you do it yourself? I'm lookng for a good source in the Toronto area. I hear that if it's sheared you get one edge that's not as good as the other.

Regards,
Ron

Here is the place I'm using: ACCESS Metal Service, 5040 Timberlea Blvd., 905-629-3151. They have also other locations.

It is true that when sheared one side will have a radius but you could put this side on the inside and then it won't show. I usually cut my metals myself. I use either band saw or circular saw with blade for non-ferrous metals. I attach the piece with clamps to the table above which I have sliding guides for circular saw. I can cut 1/2" thick pieces without problem.:)

It depends on the finish on aluminum, but fingerprints are less of an issue than with untreated aluminum. They are also easier to clean, because alodine forms sort of a film on the surface and this protects aluminum from corrosion.

Do you know how much they charge for shipping? Usually it's much more as this is a dangerous material and special carrier has to be used. It is much easier and probably cheaper to buy it in powder form and mixe it at home. I found a local place, but its $200 minimum order.

As mentioned above, this is also known as chromate conversion, often referred to as Alochrom here in the UK.

It's not very robust, but will prevent corrosion.

One very important thing to remember is it's electrically conductive, unlike anodizing, so is a better solution where good electrical performance at high frequencies are involved, like RF, for example.

Andy.

Peter Daniel said:

Do you know how much they charge for shipping? Usually it's much more as this is a dangerous material and special carrier has to be used. It is much easier and probably cheaper to buy it in powder form and mixe it at home. I found a local place, but its $200 minimum order.

To Mobile, AL estimated charges were 27.82. I don't know where the FOB is, because they ship from various warehouses.

Nik

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.