main 10000uf power caps exceeding V-loss having 1,5% V-loss

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello .
I have a Technics su-8080
There is any problem if the main PSU power caps having 10000uf are having 1,5% V-loss ?.
I don't think is a great idea to play the amp for to long ?.
Seems risky ?.
Should I also expect other parts to fail or the amp will have no problems with that V-loss for short period of use ?
I've read that for 10000uf the V-loss should be 0,01 % but I think this is the ideal value .

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
how did you measure the voltage loss? I have one of those $10 mega328 LCR testers that gives a V-loss measurement but I never really paid any attention to it. I just tested a 25 year old 10000uf/63v psi capacitor I pulled from an old Exposure integrated amp and I got the results shown in the pic. I’m assuming the OP has a similar tester and that is what he is talking about when he says Voltage loss.

Attachments

• AC3C0C95-CFF3-47C1-A1B8-CF70E5D3EF84.jpg
    AC3C0C95-CFF3-47C1-A1B8-CF70E5D3EF84.jpg
    841.5 KB · Views: 378
I was curious so I tested a brand new 470uf/35V Panasonic FC and a 47uf/25V Elna Silmic2. The cheap tester showed a VLoss of 1.1% and .9%. I would take the Vloss reading from these Mega328 testers with a grain of salt.
Here's an article:

"A bad capacitor is an electronics component that over the course of its life has turned to the dark side. It is evil now and is no longer serving its intended purpose in life.
A voltage loss of 34% is terrible! This part is leaking electricity like a sieve.
Vloss is the amount of voltage the meter has measured that the capacitor has lost.
This part is leaking electricity like a sieve. Which is not what capacitors are supposed to do at all. Quite the opposite in fact. Capacitors are supposed to be able to store electricity. They are supposed to have the capacity to store an electrical charge. Hence their name. The ESR measurement is pretty bad too, but not nearly as out of spec as the Vloss."

I think bad Vloss is electricity that escape unfiltered ? so the bigger the V-loss the bigger the chance the cap will act like a good conductive wire ?.

A Vloss of 80% will be almost like a perfect conductive wire ?

So a cap os 10000uf having a Vloss of 2% means some serious unfiltered current that is escaping creating overheat and maybe damage to other components?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.