Magnepan 3.3 bi amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

I'm a french owner of Magnepan 3.3 loudspeakers. I want to bi amp them with two Hafler P4000 (only balanced outpouts). I have only found magnepan XO Filters. They just have unbalanced inputs and outpouts.

Does someone knows a way to soluce my problem?:confused:

Thank You for your Help

bi-amping Magnepan 3.3

Hi I am also a frenchman, living now in Colorado.

I don't have the answer to your original question but I can share my experience with bi-amping the 3.3. (Actually since I used a subwoofer this is tri-amping).

I used a Marchand XM9 electronic crossover, a home-built Tripath amp for the high- and mids, an old Yamaha AX-590 for the woofer panel, and a a REL-Storm subwoofer for the infra-lows.

The difference was night and day, the Magnepan 3.3 became incredibly velvety, warm and dynamic without loosing the airy extension that only dipole true ribbons have.

The REL high-impedance input was connected to the output of the Yamaha amp. For some reason if I used a second home-built Tripath amps for the bass panel (instead of the Yamaha) the REL subwoofer did not work well - it might be because of the high-frequency switching in the Tripath amp.

This finished to convince me that passive crossovers completely destroy the bass-signal. The wonderfully pure bass of Triangle speakers is because they connect the woofer directly and only use a cross-over for the highs (and mids if there is a mids driver).
Of course their tweeter does not compare to a Magnepan...

I now suspect the wonderful Magnepans demos I heard at hi-fi shows in Paris were bi-amped.

My current search is to get similar quality with a thinner open panel or open baffle speaker.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.