• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Made myself a EL84 PP Tubelab Clone

I have been working with my El 84pp, Tubelab clone for some time now. I have Hammond output transformers and chokes for my project. For about twenty years ago I bought a transformer for 250v and 6,3v. Made for 220v, and I have 235v in my outlets, so I had to get rid og 15v. If not i got 7v on the heathers...I solve the problem by using av 235 to 220v transformer! i series with the IEC-socket. Using 6P14P-EV and ECC81 from the late 50-s.Have been playing cd-s from a Cambridge player, through a Topping Dac, to the el 84 Tubelab Clone and in to my Klipsch RP 160M. I just love the sound! Bass is good, midrange are great..and so are the treble
El 84 pp.jpg
..I put some more pictures out tomorrow

I wanted to build the amp with a "dual mono power supply"-ish , and thats why I used three chokes. Have not seen the links from Soundhappy.Think I must check it out! Build a couple el84 pp amps 20-25 years ago, but I was not satisfied with the sound..Morgan Jones had a project called "Bevois Valley amp" in one of his books, I built the amp and I remember it sounded terrible, or I did not like the sound?... , so I sold the transformers and chokes.. Maybe one that I built, was a clone of the Dynaco el84 or was it Fischer? I can not remember..

The output tansformers are Hammond 1650E. The one in the middle are one I bought 20 years ago. Probably made in Italy?, and with 220v primary winding. Get about 7v on my heaters, little to much, so I going to remove the transformer. I just ordered one Hammond 370 HX....

The output tansformers are Hammond 1650E. The one in the middle are one I bought 20 years ago. Probably made in Italy?, and with 220v primary winding. Get about 7v on my heaters, little to much, so I going to remove the transformer. I just ordered one Hammond 370 HX....
If that is the only problem a small resistor in series would solve the problem.

stenak,

That looks very nice! I bet it sounds great.

I like your creative handle, it looks good.
It makes transporting the amp either to a friend's, or to a local amplifier shootout to show its good sound.
(all of my tube amplifiers have a handle, strategically placed, to make for easy transporting).

Happy Listening!
At your home, and at others.

Thanks! I found the enclosure in a box of "waste", probably been a powersupply? 2mm aluminium all over, and solid. There was nothing left inside the enclosure. Everthing was better in the old days? Electonics, powerelectronics , amps...had linear power supplies and all enclosures was made of metal. Remember I found some Marine electronics on the landfill. Inside we found heatsinks large enough for BIG class A amps, and there were capacitors large as 0,5 liter beer cans in there . Now, plastic enclosures and smps are taking over..

I remember the Superbird. A very successful police attracter. And difficult to hide! My ride was a dark blue Mustang!
500 were built to meet NASCAR's homologation requirements. Many sat unsold on car dealer's lots for a year or two and were eventually blown out at cost or below. Look at what they go for today, especially the few made with the 426 Hemi option. My ride came from the other end of the Plymouth spectrum. I got a 1949 Plymouth "Special Deluxe" (AKA the TANK) for a high school graduation present. It had the "powerful" 218 cubic inch flathead six that made an awesome 97 HP.

As kids often do, one of my first "todo's" was a trip down the quarter at Miami Hollywood Speedway where it turned a blistering 22.something in the quarter mile. Fortunately, the old flatties are hard to kill, but I managed to do it several times. The "last great rebuild" occurred in 1972 where every moving part in the entire drivetrain was removed and replaced. The last trip down the quarter returned high 16's which is a considerable improvement. I must have done it right because I was still driving the car occasionally in the late 80's when I traded it for a tube stereo. This trade ended my 20 year fascination with solid state HiFi that provided the "kick start" for Tubelab. One of those "inerasable memories" was seeing the space shuttle Challenger explode through the windshield of that car from the parking lot of the Motorola plant. The old flattie loved cold days, and a 20 degree F day in south Florida is rare, so I drove the tank to work that day.

I am glad You got into tubes.
I started out with tubes in the early 60's since tubes and the associated components were freely available. Solid state stuff was rare and cost considerable money then. My "parts store" was a trash dump within a bicycle ride from my house. It was full of discarded TV's, radios, and an occasional mono HiFi console. In the late 60's I worked in a TV repair shop, and in 1971 and 1972 I ran the repair department at an Olson Electronics store. In 1973 I got a job at a Motorola plant. They gave out free silicon to employees, within reason just by filling out a sample request form. That started me down a long road of solid state stuff from audio to music synthesizers and computers. Some friends and I cloned every Tiger amp made except for the Tigersaurus. We cloned the SWTPC 6800 computer too. In the 80's my stereo rack was filled with Carver and Phase Linear stuff. I got a Scott 272 Laboratory Reference Amplifier and matching tuner in exchange for the car. After changing a broken tube and two physically broken resistors, it pushed all of that solid state stuff out of the rack, never to return. I gave it all to a collector when my Motorola career ended, and I left Florida in 2014.

"I got a Scott 272 Laboratory Reference Amplifier and matching tuner in exchange for the car."

That was a good trade!
I used it as my main stereo for about 5 years. During that time, I started making vacuum tube HiFi stuff starting with a clone of that Scott's power amp section. I never really quit making tube based guitar amps, but sometimes there were year or two gaps between builds. Once my DIY HiFi amps started sounding better than the Scott, I sold the Scott for $800. That was over 15 years ago.

Reactions: 1 user