MA5332

Oh, I didn't know that about the Rotel. Are you not happy with the sound of the UcD modules or is it simply a matter of the fans being noisy?
It was primarily the physical noise, but turning off the fans made it get very hot. I'll replace the 250s with discrete UcD modules and see how I get on.
If I need to cool that, I'll add in an Arduino and some temp sensors and PWM fans.

I finally changed the MA5532 card for the coupling caps and opamp.
Used the AudioNote caps I had lying around and changed the opamp to 1656.

It is a completely different beast now. In blind testing you won't think it is the same board.

Gone is the strange coloration and some roughness. It sounds as a very well conventional amp now. Quiet 'high endisch' I would say.
Very well behaving, controlled, nice crisp, clean sound, absolutely quiet. (used the feedback modified board). Just good.

But also also gone is the incredible sensed dynamic (power), the open, high, wide and deep soundstage, the transparency, the live kind of sound. The magic that made me want to listen more and more. Highs and Lows are limited in comparison. It lacks the dynamics now, no real punch., although it gives some hints that it could go much faster.
In comparison it sounds thick and slow, holding back, modest. (Keep in mind, in comparison.)

The analogy that came to mind to me is the comparison between between good conventional loudspeakers and good horn speakers.
The horns sounding detailed, clean, open, dynamically but with the according coloration.

Getting both positive aspects of the 2 versions would make this a winner.

Again it is not the 5332 that determines the perceived sound quality, but the circuit before it. (as with the MA12070 in he Sabaj).
Al least we know now: It won't hold anything back in dynamics and openness but also is able to sound very clean and crisp.
Those Audio Note caps reportedly take at least 50 hours to reach their potential.
But it might not be the ideal cap in this location. Try some modest priced coupling caps like Mundorf ZN to compare.

Those Audio Note caps reportedly take at least 50 hours to reach their potential.
But it might not be the ideal cap in this location. Try some modest priced coupling caps like Mundorf ZN to compare.
Yes, I know. Had 2 of these already once in the Sabyaj A20. After 2 days it sounded better, but still not the right caps on that position (decoupling volume control IC).
I will give them some more time. They are in now almost 2 days. They will improve, but not that much that they will give me back this openness, dynamics (feeling of endless and effortless power) and endless highs and lows I had before.
Next thing to try, will be to put in UKZ's (22uF). These AN's are 100uF bipolar, so basically 2 x 200uF in series. I think this is not a good idea for speed...

Don't get me wrong, it does sound very good. But I like a more live, realistic sound more. A matter of taste.
Having heard what this thing can do, it feels now like 'driving with the handbrake on', especially regarding the 'power'.
The magic of "looking" into big soundstage, but without being at the back of a big hall.

Last edited: