Lumine One 2-Way Speaker Kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think the over all goal will be to reach 100db with a 7.1 system with towers. Theses book shelve speakers will be used for the rears eventually.

100 is pretty loud. At that range, you're getting into properly designed IMAX theater explosions and such, I believe the THX specifications requires around 105. That's not out of line for a lot of designs, but you should be careful to so something with efficiencies in the high 80s, or you're going to need lots of amplifier power.

That Lumine kit is stated as 86db efficient, so, let's do the math (correct me if I'm wrong, please guys.):

It reaches 89 db with 2 watts.
92 with 4w, 95 with 8w, 98 with 16w and 101 with 32w, continuing on doubling for each 3db increase.

You can see however, that it quickly starts to get out of hand with required power as you go up. To get to the ridiculous level of 119 db, you would need 2048 watts of amplifier power, which would be way, way outside of capabilities of that speaker.

Edit: Take a look at this photo. Notice how the power jumps.

Take a look here:
Peak SPL Calculator

Attachments

• Mcintosh Mc1000.JPG
    Mcintosh Mc1000.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
I'd avoid these expensive little drivers.

120dB at the LP is a target figure for HT performance. Having this ability allows for reproduction of the dynamics of the program material and IMO it's a good goal. The normal small cone / dome bookshelf or tower speakers out there are not up to it though. You'll need high efficiency speakers with very capable drivers to get there without the drivers frying or compressing into distortion.

120dB at the LP is a target figure for HT performance. Having this ability allows for reproduction of the dynamics of the program material and IMO it's a good goal. The normal small cone / dome bookshelf or tower speakers out there are not up to it though. You'll need high efficiency speakers with very capable drivers to get there without the drivers frying or compressing into distortion.

That might be a cool goal for bragging rights, but to get there you'd probably need a stack of pro sound reinforcement arrays, which most people are unlikely to want in their living room.

120 db is the threshold of pain. I like visceral impact as much as the next guy, but if I wince every time someone fires a pistol in a movie, that's not an effect I'd go for.

Yeah baby! Bring on those compression drivers, big horns and monster woofers! :D

Call Madisound and speak with them; Adam or Josh. They're good guys and will do everything they can to help. I have no affiliation with Madisound. You can also go there, I have, and listen to different kits they've built.

For the amount of money that kit costs I'd get their opinion. They may have a different idea too based on your room size.

So, you're looking for 120dB max with a low frequency limit of about 100 Hz? B&C 8NDL51 in a 0.3 cu ft vented box tuned to 60 Hz. Input is 400 watts. Obviously, a subsonic HP filter is required to control driver excursion. As you can see -3dB is about 90Hz. You'd need to pair this with a horn tweeter of course. At 200 watts, it produces about 117dB. That should be loud enough for anyone. I have these in my home satellite speakers. I'm not saying they are the best.... just another possible choice.

Attachments

• 8NDL51 120dB.JPG
    8NDL51 120dB.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
So, you're looking for 120dB max with a low frequency limit of about 100 Hz? B&C 8NDL51 in a 0.3 cu ft vented box tuned to 60 Hz. Input is 400 watts. Obviously, a subsonic HP filter is required to control driver excursion. As you can see -3dB is about 90Hz. You'd need to pair this with a horn tweeter of course. At 200 watts, it produces about 117dB. That should be loud enough for anyone. I have these in my home satellite speakers. I'm not saying they are the best.... just another possible choice.

I think we've just about convinced him that violently rupturing his eardrums would probably not be wise. :drink:

Haha I use to compete in db drag having a car that hit over 160dbs. Now I value my hearing alot more and just want something that reproduces the sound accurately.

My next question is.... Is it worth it to buy get this?

Optional Accessories Package (+$70.16):
24x OXSOCKET #8 screws for mounting woofers and tweeters
24x #6 Screws for mounting crossovers and terminal cups
2x red and 2x black QC110 quick connects for tweeter
2x red QC187 and 2x black QC110 quick connects for woofer
2x red QC187 and 2x black QC187 quick connects for terminal cups
2x DB-Cups
1x FOAM SHEET
2x Deflex Panels
1x Weldbond
10' Foamtape
12' Supra 1.6 Classic wire

Haha I use to compete in db drag having a car that hit over 160dbs. Now I value my hearing alot more and just want something that reproduces the sound accurately.

My next question is.... Is it worth it to buy get this?

Optional Accessories Package (+$70.16):
24x OXSOCKET #8 screws for mounting woofers and tweeters
24x #6 Screws for mounting crossovers and terminal cups
2x red and 2x black QC110 quick connects for tweeter
2x red QC187 and 2x black QC110 quick connects for woofer
2x red QC187 and 2x black QC187 quick connects for terminal cups
2x DB-Cups
1x FOAM SHEET
2x Deflex Panels
1x Weldbond
10' Foamtape
12' Supra 1.6 Classic wire

Well, that's all stuff that you'll need to make a finished speaker, so if you don't have that stuff already you'll probably need it. It's pretty convenient to add it as a single package, although the deflex panels are probably a significant portion of that price.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.