Low end support for single driver monitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
From my take on it, there are definite benefits to having two woofers per side . More displacement woudln't be a bad thing. Having two in a push push configuration should allow the drivers to help control each other, shouldn't it? Also, wouldn't the equal but opposite force of the drivers help to reduce cabinet vibrations? I think that's pretty important when, in my case at least, I didn't really have in mind that I'd mount the Fonken on top of another speaker at some point; I've not come up with a way I'm happy with to solidly anchor the cabinets together.

My original reasoning behind having the XO lower was so that the sub is non-directional (80Hz and below) and also because a lot of the HT gear has built-in filtering for XO's at 80Hz.

For a stereo pair, with double SDX-7s I'm into the cost of 4 drivers. I have to wonder out loud if I'm better off with a single sub (XO at 80Hz) based on one or two SDX-10's ?? This would mean a dedicated sub leaving the Fonkens to fend for themselves in terms of stands but I can live with that. It might also mean that I'd consider putting a plate amp in the sub whereas with the SDX-7 stand-mounted idea I'd feel inclined to use separate amps.

In terms of mounting the Fonkens on top of the subs, I agree that the dual driver approach lessens the worry about box vibrations from below. There must be several options for sitting the Fonken on the top of the sub box, such as a) simply plonk it on top (thin felt between?) and fix a flat metal bracket across the join on the back of the two boxes where it would be out of sight, b) spiked feet on the Fonken located onto the top of the sub box where there would be corresponding felt pads or something suitable recessed into the top of the sub box.

With a higher XO and drivers in the Fonken stand we're kinda talking 2-way's now aren't we!

Dave - when you say the SDX-10 needs a fairly fast turnover, are you referring to the need to filter off the top end so that it has a fairly steep roll-off where it XO's with the Fonken ??

perhaps the stand-sub woofer can be designed to 'enclose' the fonken - depending on your wood working skills that is...

Attachments

• stand_sub.gif
    stand_sub.gif
    27.1 KB · Views: 355
I really like the aesthetics of the middle design. Looks like it would be a nice way to go if you needed to increase the volume of the cabinet.

Right now I've got mine crossed over at 85hz through the plate amp on my old Velodyne sub. Really helps take the burden of my little Trends class T amp. When it was running full range it would start sounding compressed as the volume increased and/or the music got more complex. The only drawback with the set up now is the sub. Ugggh, talk about one note, booomy bass.

I think I'd like to start out crossing mine at 100hz, and go from there. I'd like to go with an active crossover so I don't have to worry about rethinking the cap values when I try a different amp on the high end. I've thought about building one from scratch, I think I've got a handle on what I'd need, but there a couple of things that are psyching me out.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
strider75 said:
Having two in a push push configuration should allow the drivers to help control each other, shouldn't it? Also, wouldn't the equal but opposite force of the drivers help to reduce cabinet vibrations? I think that's pretty important when, in my case at least, I didn't really have in mind that I'd mount the Fonken on top of another speaker at some point; I've not come up with a way I'm happy with to solidly anchor the cabinets together.

I don't know about one woofer controlling the other, but double the Sd means (IIRC) 1/4th the excursion requirements.

As long as you tightly couple the drivers, the active vibration cancellation reduced the amount of energy directly transmitted to the box significantly. For the sake of a number let's say in the ball-park of 90%.

As far as setting the Fonken on top... at the moment we have a set-back piece of 3/4" MDF. Next time i want to put in mating sets of spikes & cups. Also worth exploring is something like verity does. They have a slab of aluminum in an MDF sandwich with some sort of lossy material as the butter (see there are good uses for MDF)

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Bigun said:
is MDF a good material for sub-woofers full stop - i.e. the 'colourations' that are a concern which make it a poor choice for Fonkens might not be a factor for a sub working at 100Hz and below ???

For a subwoofer, the ability to not act like a balloon from the pressures inside the box is a main concern. So stiffness is very important. So ply has an even bigger edge. Don't skimp on bracing.

dave

Planet10,

I see you are a big proponent of using BB ply, eventhough there are MANY box designs out there that spec MDF. I know nada about the plus' and minus' of either of these materials when it comes to speakers but I use BB ply a lot in my other hobby (building telescopes) so I'm more comfortable working with BB ply - really I hate working with MDF. For general applications are there times where I should stick to the MDF spec or am I OK to sub in BB ply?

Sorry I realize it's a very broad question.

planet10 said:
Using a low order XO on the SDX7 means it is there to help fill in where baffle-step has reduced the respnse of the front facing driver.

Ah, I had been thinking that the SDX7 was buying a lot of bandwidth to discard, but this makes sense.

Bigun said:
This would mean a dedicated sub leaving the Fonkens to fend for themselves in terms of stands but I can live with that. It might also mean that I'd consider putting a plate amp in the sub whereas with the SDX-7 stand-mounted idea I'd feel inclined to use separate amps.

With a higher XO and drivers in the Fonken stand we're kinda talking 2-way's now aren't we!

I remember reading somewhere that the point of equal energy higher and lower in frequency was around 300 hz. Ever since, I've thought maybe it makes more sense to build your 2-way with that as an XO point. Some OB setups and the Fonken+Woof designs are the closest I've seen to this. I wonder how a skillfully done dedicated 2-way closed box design like this might look.

Since I haven't Dave's skills, I thought the plate amp / dedicated sub was an option with a lot of flexibility. Higher re-usability as well, if you ever decide to try another design.

strider75 said:
The only drawback with the set up now is the sub. Ugggh, talk about one note, booomy bass.

If the sub is ported you could try blocking the port. A rolled up pair of socks or a tennis ball makes a nice, reversible mod. Uh, as long as you don't shove it so far in you can't grab it no more...

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Ryan_Mc said:
I see you are a big proponent of using BB ply, eventhough there are MANY box designs out there that spec MDF. I know nada about the plus' and minus' of either of these materials when it comes to speakers but I use BB ply a lot in my other hobby (building telescopes) so I'm more comfortable working with BB ply - really I hate working with MDF. For general applications are there times where I should stick to the MDF spec or am I OK to sub in BB ply?

Sorry I realize it's a very broad question

Here is a very wide ranging answer

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=98834&highlight=material

There are places where MDF is useful, but you can usually find a sub (solids can be useful.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
AdamThorne said:
I remember reading somewhere that the point of equal energy higher and lower in frequency was around 300 hz. Ever since, I've thought maybe it makes more sense to build your 2-way with that as an XO point. Some OB setups and the Fonken+Woof designs are the closest I've seen to this. I wonder how a skillfully done dedicated 2-way closed box design like this might look.

Tysen? Listening to them now. FF85KeN XOed to sealed SDX7eN # 333 Hz using PLLXO (or buffered PLLXO)

Tysen-comp.jpg

If the sub is ported you could try blocking the port. A rolled up pair of socks or a tennis ball makes a nice, reversible mod. Uh, as long as you don't shove it so far in you can't grab it no more...

foam works better... i use selected foam form the discarded service parts boxes i collect from the Mac dealer i do some part-time at.

dave

Like a Wet Paint sign

planet10
Very nice woodwork:
Um... The thing that scares me is the little guy with his hand less a few inches from your driver.
Anecdotally, It doesn't matter how many times they are warned, it seems like there is an attractive force between dust caps and little fingers. And tumbles happen. I can't count the times I've found dented dust cap.
At times I have resorted to wire grills until/unless I'm sure the fascination with touching the driver is gone.
:hot:

An update and a couple of questions

With a lot of assistance from Dave, I've decided on an enclosure and drivers. I'm building a cabinet similar to the Fonkenwoof with two 7 inch drivers per cabinet in a push push configuration. The cabinets are being made of 3/4" baltic birch ply, are approx. 1 ft^3 and are vented with a single rectangular port at the top of the enclosure which is 1" tall, 7.25" wide and 11" deep. Modeling the cabinets in winISD I come up with a -3db of 43.4hz. The crossover I'm using is one I bought as a kit from audio-kits.com; it's a Linkwitz-Reilly 4th order active crossover set at 120hz.

Now the questions:

Should I line the interior of the cabinet in any way? When I built the Fonkens I used 3/4" thick polyester batting on the walls; it is my understanding that this is done in a full range speaker to reduce reflections that may come back out through the driver's cone. Is that also necessary in a bass only design such as this? If the batting isn't needed, I was planning to spray the inside walls of the cabinet with sound damping paint to minimize cabinet resonance. Is this a good idea or not?

There is a driver brace in between the two drivers, meaning it runs from one side of the cabinet to the other width-wise. Should I place the brace so that it is not at an even fraction of the distance from one side of the cabinet to the other? Meaning, should it not be exactly 1/4 (or 1/3, or what have you) of the overall depth of the cabinet from the front wall of the cabinet? My thought is, as was the case in the Fonken cabinet, that if it were at an even interval in the cabinet it would tend to amplify a certain frequency. Am I thinking right?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: An update and a couple of questions

strider75 said:
Should I line the interior of the cabinet in any way?

I would. Just as a matter of course.

Should I place the brace so that it is not at an even fraction of the distance from one side of the cabinet to the other? Meaning, should it not be exactly 1/4 (or 1/3, or what have you) of the overall depth of the cabinet from the front wall of the cabinet?...Am I thinking right?

Yes you are thinking right. A tiny bit trickier but more effective yet would be to place it at an angle so that it divides the braced panels into unequal trapezoids.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Like a Wet Paint sign

HK26147 said:
Um... The thing that scares me is the little guy with his hand less a few inches from your driver.
Anecdotally, It doesn't matter how many times they are warned, it seems like there is an attractive force between dust caps and little fingers. And tumbles happen. I can't count the times I've found dented dust cap.
At times I have resorted to wire grills until/unless I'm sure the fascination with touching the driver is gone.

These do have grills, but Tysen has been very good about not poking the dustcaps. He will go up to the speaker and put his ear to it thou....

We did have one incident where a "crash" caused the dustcap on a silver iris to get "dented" fortunately that was just a matter of screwing off the tweeter and poking it with a stick to make it as new.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.