• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Looking for my first tube amp...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, so I've been looking for tube sources, do you know any reliable store/e-store?
In case of e-bay, a reliable seller?

Another thought, is it whorth to go for a full kit?The advantage is that it could save me time in sourcing all the needed parts+shipping costs....

Last edited:
For the amplifier I linked, these tubes are readily available on ebay at prices low enough that you don't need to worry too much - not like you are buying 300Bs. I've had no issues buying on eBay from whomever offered the best deal - I check to make sure the shipping charges are reasonable, check that the tubes are properly described as new (or have test results if NOS) and that the feedback/rating score of the seller is 97% or better.

You don't need expensive boutique versions of these tubes so you aren't going to risking very much. For the 6V6 you can also try the Russian equivalent 6P6S.

If you don't like the idea of using eBay, there are on line shops e.g. http://tubedepot.com - just enter the valve-type into their search box, also check out new production JJ prices. The 6V6, 5965 and 6GK5 option are all available at reasonable prices.

I can't advise you on kits - could save some trouble but also rob you of the learning experience - nothing ventured is nothing gained. But don't take on a DIY project at high voltages if you have any lack of confidence.

Last edited:
Take a close look at the schematics and you'll see that Poindexter's "Musical Machine" and "El Cheapo" are cousins. Poinz achieves a superior result, in part, through the use of costly, "boutique", parts. OTOH, from the very beginning, "El Cheapo" was intended to be inexpensive and still provide GOOD sound. The guitar amp O/P trafos specified in the schematic are OK and no more. Build with decent O/P "iron", like Dynaclone Z565s, and you get a very good amp. While inexpensive, the PSU in "El Cheapo" is high performance. A good PSU is the foundation upon which any nice sounding amp is built. It's not possible to have a good amp, if the PSU is crap.

As for a kit, Jim McShane sells kits of parts that a chassis and magnetics, purchased separately by the builder, are combined with to complete the project. Shipping costs of the parts kit to the EU are reasonable, unlike magnetics, with their silicon steel cores.

Picture+336.jpg

this my project for expensive jbl speaker in big power. more output tube big sansui opt and big ac transformer.

Last edited:
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
At the moment my speakers are a pair of wharfedale sapphire 89, four way. Can take bi-amping, 200w max.

Later, after the amp is finished, I'm planning to dedicate a pair of diy speakers full range.
Maybe those Jordans I keep bumbing on here.

My sources at the moment are a media player, reading from a NAS and spotify.
Plans for moving to vinyl are postponed for even later.
My listening room is small, about 30m^2.

4way ? Jordans ? vinyl ?

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
ok, thanks

your speakers, why do you call them 4way
well, I can see they have 4 drivers, but looks more like a big 2.5way to me ?
maybe they wont play loud, but might be ok for a small tube amp

but no matter what, I stick to my suggestion of getting of some cheap parts
try and throw something together, doesnt matter what
nothing fancy, just based on a few clever choices
best way to learn

Ok, so I've been looking for tube sources, do you know any reliable store/e-store?
In case of e-bay, a reliable seller?

Another thought, is it whorth to go for a full kit?The advantage is that it could save me time in sourcing all the needed parts+shipping costs....

About tubes (valves for UK) , every ex-societ country dealer I have used in ebay is reliable.

A kit will spoil half the fun, in my opinion. Buy more parts than you need, you ll use them for your next project (which you will design by yourself) :)

Thanks costi!hahaha
tinitus, to be honest, I don't know if I used the term correctly. They have (each) one high, one mid, two low..
I don't listen to music lowdly,I'd say low to low-mid levels. My current amp is an old kenwood 50W with a volume pot scaled 0-30. Usually I listen between 7 and 10.
Probably because of the combination on the small room, efficiency and personal taste, it is loud enough.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
tinitus, to be honest, I don't know if I used the term correctly. They have (each) one high, one mid, two low..

yes, it would be 3way, and not 4way
but mid is the same driver as the low woofers
that would normally be a 2.5way
which means all driver play the same bass
but the two lower woofers play less midrange than the upper woofer
seems impossible to find any info on this :confused:
different crossover design means different amp load

The mid and the bass drivers have the same diameter but are different drivers.
(I don't know if that changes what you said before).
Any case, I found this board Push-pull KT88 class A amp with "universal" driver PCB

The advantage (in my opinion ) is that I can use easily a variety of tubes and change from triode to ultralinear mode. It seems like a good experimentation board...?

See here my speakers (i googled it,not the actuals I have)
http://pic3.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/im.../c/f/1309652416.jpg&Wharfedale-sapphire-sp-89

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.