Looking For Folded Horn Sub Plans

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to make my own folded horn subs to be used in outdoor party's.
I was thinking of copying EAW kF-940, EAW LA-400 or EAW DCS2 but if there's anything else that will fit to my application it'll be OK.

Like I've said this is outdoor party's dance floor 45ftx45ft under tent.

Thanks

meant to post a reply to this yesterday but never got the chance

if you're wanting to go down the 12" route (and many say this is the key to good bass - small easily movable cone with high excursion creating a piston effect) then you can't go far wrong with the LAB Sub

full details can be found on the prosound forum where it was born -

http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/f/3/0

however i will warn you the woodworking is a b*tch, and they are best run upto 80Hz max with something like an HD15 above

which brings me to the next site to look at www.speakerplans.com

this site contains plans by Rog Mogale

18" & 15" horns plus bandpass boxes and mid tops there's also a forum there

qi

Regarding KF-940 it sounds really complicated, however I'm a carpenter and I've done CNC routing before. But still it's a lot of work doing that box.
I do have picture of 940 exposed and I was thinking of doing that ]cenventional way without CNC just using regular material and methods.
It sounds like you know this box well, do you know where I can get more info, like detailed pictures and measurements?
What about DCS2 sub? Can you compare it to KF-940?

nniwelt said:
qi

Regarding KF-940 it sounds really complicated, however I'm a carpenter and I've done CNC routing before. But still it's a lot of work doing that box.
I do have picture of 940 exposed and I was thinking of doing that ]cenventional way without CNC just using regular material and methods.
It sounds like you know this box well, do you know where I can get more info, like detailed pictures and measurements?
What about DCS2 sub? Can you compare it to KF-940?

Actually, I gleaned that info from their website. That is the extent of my knowledge.

I am sincere in my request to know more about the insides of the KF-940.

Whatever pictures / details you have would be appreciated.

Have you seen the plans for the Jensen Imperial?

While these plans have been "super-sized" for a 24" driver, you could scale them for a 12" by dividing everything by 2...

Attachments

• jensen.jpg
    jensen.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 1,073
GM said:
Greets!

You can't scale horns this way, any more than you can a sealed or vented cab, unless of course you want Fl, Fh to be much higher.

GM

Thanks for the clarification, Greg.

Use a scale factor of .625, not .5 to get the original Jensen Imperial dimensions. The original design uses a 15" driver, not a 12".

I have looked for a long time to get this photo, cause I was wondering how this box is made. Eventually this image came from EAW promo materials.

I see no image...

GM

Yes and no...

I am just using simple math to scale a "super-sized" design back to its original state.

The plans you posted are the originals, and known to be flawed and very difficult to work with.

Actually the website you reference confirms this.

Steve's plans are easier and more "buildable" IMO

Norbert

Yes, thank you.

At a quick glance, it looks "doable". The expansion rate almost looks linear -- (consisting of expanding straight sides).

The two curved folds could be made of thin veneer, back-filled with "great stuff" (pvc foam) for rigidity and damping (essentially what they describe)

The initial flare is at a perpendicular plane to the main flare, but also appears to be linear (expanding straight sides)

It looks like a single driver may be an option, also.

But the thing is a monster (approx 5' x 3' x 3') -- not easily portable (unless you look like THE ROCK):D

qi said:
Norbert

Yes, thank you.

At a quick glance, it looks "doable". The expansion rate almost looks linear -- (consisting of expanding straight sides).

The two curved folds could be made of thin veneer, back-filled with "great stuff" (pvc foam) for rigidity and damping (essentially what they describe)

The initial flare is at a perpendicular plane to the main flare, but also appears to be linear (expanding straight sides)

It looks like a single driver may be an option, also.

But the thing is a monster (approx 5' x 3' x 3') -- not easily portable (unless you look like THE ROCK):D

The eaw cabinet is simple.The fancy foam may help resonance of panels. The curvings wont help it in its passband.

The series of parabolic/conical expansions approximate an exponential or hyperbolic flare. Probably 4-8units required for stated sensitivity and cutoff.

Marketing ploys use a cover of mystical magic to make a unit appear advantagous to buy. Its probably similar to the labhorn. Easier to make too!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.