Looking for a master repairer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking for a master repairer. I've been looking for nearly two months now for someone to repair my beloved Marantz-built Philips DFA1000 integrated amp (vintage 1988, and identical to the Marantz PM-95). The outputs burned out secondarily in one channel. I have a service manual, a few OEM replacements for one of the MOSFETs, and a source for the others. Found a willing expert in the Netherlands, but shipping from the USA for this 60 lb. monster would be prohibitive. Any takers?

Hello again !

I am looking for a master repairer. I've been looking for nearly two months now for someone to repair my beloved Marantz-built Philips DFA1000 integrated amp (vintage 1988, and identical to the Marantz PM-95). The outputs burned out secondarily in one channel. I have a service manual, a few OEM replacements for one of the MOSFETs, and a source for the others. Found a willing expert in the Netherlands, but shipping from the USA for this 60 lb. monster would be prohibitive. Any takers?

Just sending a message, because the world isn't that big after all ! We have doing som PM (helped you find the service manual) just funny to find you here as well ! Stefan H Sweden.

philips dfa 1000

I also own one of these. I purchased the unit from one of the warehouses in NY from an add in Stereo Review. This is a refurbished unit from Knoxville, TN. My original unit died in '91 with this same problem. The tech guru told me it was a relay never to be found anywhere on the planet and sent me a replacement (said refurbished unit). He later told me that the problem with the unit I now have, was a blown fuse. He (technical guru) dissembled the entire unit, looked it over, decided afterwards to LOOK at the fuse, and wham o.
The only thing he forgot to do was replace the screws under the door with the original copper coated screws. I replaced them with aluminum screws, assuming these were supposed to be grounded with the base plate. I could not find copper screws.
My Philips has been a loyal friend for over 20 years but like others, one of the outputs just died. I am not sure why this is but I neither have the time, wherewithal, nor the technical abilities to deal with it. I know what the problem may be. There is a protection circuit that is causing this failure. My problem may be within the protection circuitry itself or anything that may cause heat buildup. If I shut down the system, unplug and wait 10 minutes or so, replug, restart, everything works for a short time, then shuts down again.
Other than my recent problem, the unit is in perfect condition, I have the original remote and the manual. I have used the remote one day. I just programmed it to everything else and it worked. I reset the remote to its defaults, removed the batteries, and stored it away in a plastic baggie with some silicone beads. I have no box, it weighs too much for most boxes to last more than one day. In my elder years, just moving this behemoth takes a lot of effort.
I am replacing my old friend. I offer my old friend to anyone who may have a need for it.

I also own one of these. I purchased the unit from one of the warehouses in NY from an add in Stereo Review. This is a refurbished unit from Knoxville, TN. My original unit died in '91 with this same problem. The tech guru told me it was a relay never to be found anywhere on the planet and sent me a replacement (said refurbished unit). He later told me that the problem with the unit I now have, was a blown fuse. He (technical guru) dissembled the entire unit, looked it over, decided afterwards to LOOK at the fuse, and wham o.
The only thing he forgot to do was replace the screws under the door with the original copper coated screws. I replaced them with aluminum screws, assuming these were supposed to be grounded with the base plate. I could not find copper screws.
My Philips has been a loyal friend for over 20 years but like others, one of the outputs just died. I am not sure why this is but I neither have the time, wherewithal, nor the technical abilities to deal with it. I know what the problem may be. There is a protection circuit that is causing this failure. My problem may be within the protection circuitry itself or anything that may cause heat buildup. If I shut down the system, unplug and wait 10 minutes or so, replug, restart, everything works for a short time, then shuts down again.
Other than my recent problem, the unit is in perfect condition, I have the original remote and the manual. I have used the remote one day. I just programmed it to everything else and it worked. I reset the remote to its defaults, removed the batteries, and stored it away in a plastic baggie with some silicone beads. I have no box, it weighs too much for most boxes to last more than one day. In my elder years, just moving this behemoth takes a lot of effort.
I am replacing my old friend. I offer my old friend to anyone who may have a need for it.

Hi, i have sent you a private message :)

Hey nice to see fans of the Amp I purchased 20 years ago! Anyway, the guy at radio shack took my fuse and gave me some that keep blowing. What is the correct size fuse for my DFA1000? I cannot find the info anywhere.

Found it 8amp 250 volt... on back nevermind!

Last edited:
Hi there,

I recently picked up one of these amazing DFA 1000 amplifiers and it needs a little adjusting. I am fully capable of working on it but I am trying to find a service manual. I saw your post and was wondering if you still have the service manual and if you do would you be willing to provide a copy of it? Let me know if you would and what it is worth to you to do so. I'm located in Gilroy California (95020).

Also, I am assuming that you did finally get your unit fixed?

Thanks and best regards,

Philip

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.