Lone Star Audio Fest 2010 - Reports

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had an idea Bob might be running the field-coils in the Pencil 12 at least some of the time; he mentioned he'd added an internal brace to support the motor, and that he felt the horns were too big for the space. Guess he was happy with the way the Pencil 12 / FC A12 worked. :)

I'd no idea that a pair of Lotus boxes were going to turn up, this is the first I've heard of it. :bigeyes:

He (and I) were extremely happy with the Pencil 12. I really liked them and every time someone commented on the sound Bob would just beam.:)

The bass was indeed taught and very well mannered. It was surprising though that they produced that much. It has me thinking about building a pair of them.

I actually didn't know about the show till Thursday night. I stumbled upon it last minute and the show was only about 15 minutes from where I lived. Long story short, I got in contact with Bob and he invited me to share a listening space with him and to bring a pair of speakers. The lotus were the only ones I had access to at the time so I brought those. I actually had to go get them to my friend's apartment that night and bring them up to the hotel and help them set up. It was nice to hear them on a tube amp for once. :D

I really had a fantastic time at the show. I showed the room for a good amount of the time which let Bob have a chance to mingle and listen to some other rooms too. Plus, I was happy to show off the field coils, Mark Audio drivers, and excellent Wooden Design cabinets. I was happy to see that everyone else who heard the Lotus liked them as much as I do. It let's me know that they really are something special. I think I'll have to build another set of those when I get my hands on the next gen CHR70's.

I had another much larger design I was thinking about bringing but it was left at home till I got some more time on it. ;)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Scott & i decided just this AM that it was time to go live with this.

Woden Design

We have been fiddling with details for sometime, but the site has been pretty much the same now for a while -- time to get your feedback,

dave

Woden-logo500x.gif

I'm always open to musical suggestions, although the page itself is, as noted, simply a small handful of (mostly my) favourite recordings across the genres.

Well you have good taste in music. Do you have
Western Wall: The Tucson Sessions
by Emmylou Harris and Linda Ronstadt? Here are some songs from it. I could only find a live version of 1917.

YouTube - Across The Border - Linda Ronstadt/Emmylou Harris/Neil Young

YouTube - Emmylou Harris / Linda Ronstadt : 1917

YouTube - Linda Ronstadt & Emmylou Harris - THIS IS TO MOTHER YOU

YouTube - For A Dancer

We just returned from the Lone Star Audio Fest in Dallas, where we heard lots of incredible rigs. This was a very DIY-oriented show. What follows is less than 10% of the total show, so I hope others will chime in.

A number of forum members were there, including Panomaniac, MightyM, and italynstalyn. Below are the smooth Altec 605 OB's that Panomaniac brought. He was using a very modified Behringer active crossover and the room sounded great (and he has impeccable music taste).

Upstairs, on the fourth floor (who knew?) John Busch had a crazy OB using the Goldwood GW-1858 (two per side) and it wins the bass award -- it was utterly phenomenal.

Hi guys!

I attended this last weekend as well. Unfortunately, I did not know these were on the fourth floor. It was a great show! One question. How do you feel John's bass was compared to Danny's Servo sub setup on the V1? I'm working on some ideas for open baffle bass as well.

Thank you,

Blair

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Highlight of the show was Panomaniac playing (without me asking!) the entirety of "Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers." The bottle of J-P Brun L'Ancien didn't hurt.

Yeah, that was fun. And funny that all three of us seemed to know all the words.

Sorry I didn't see this thread until today. It seems to be the best write up around. I have more info on my rig in this thread. Pano's OB rig
Will be posting info about John Busch's big OB rig later today.

I wrote a piece for HIFI ZINE, but it will not be live until June 2nd.

I really liked Wayne & Duke's speakers. Simple elegance.

Yeah, that was fun.
I really liked Wayne & Duke's speakers. Simple elegance.

I need to thank you for the Negra I begged from you when I spotted the 604's.
I really enjoyed your sound. I have a soft spot for all of the speakers that have the possibility of tearing the conventional audio world apart.

Duke took Dallas to New Orleans with his acceptance of the crazy heat generating thing on his floor and Wayne gets total props for his sound and the effort he put into the show.

see you next year boys.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.