Lone Star Audio Fest 2010 - Reports

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was very impressed with the electrostatics that a Dutch fellow was showing. Metallized polyester diaphragm. There were some speakers made of aluminum, well, the cabinets were aluminum, that were also very impressive and nicely integrated (I'll have to look up whose they were).
Sy,
Those were the jumping Cactus Loudspeakers. I too was enamoured of Crescendo's 'Stats. I spent about a 1/2 hr in there chatting with him about them, he literally finished them Thurs night.

I too was expecting them to be in the BLH.

I had an idea Bob might be running the field-coils in the Pencil 12 at least some of the time; he mentioned he'd added an internal brace to support the motor, and that he felt the horns were too big for the space. Guess he was happy with the way the Pencil 12 / FC A12 worked. :)

I'd no idea that a pair of Lotus boxes were going to turn up, this is the first I've heard of it. :bigeyes:

I thought the MA/Pensil12's sounded really crisp, and the bass was what I guess they call critically damped (no boom or ringing). Just out of curiosity, I wanted to hear them with the juice turned down a bit (that's obviously the fun of a field coil) but the room was consistently busy and people seemed pleased.

Good to hear; that's what I was aiming for.

My LSAF impressions/what I'll remember.

I had a ball at the show yesterday, I got to see/hear almost everything there.

I love the relaxed atmosphere of LSAF.

If you missed the John Busch OB's on the 4th floor, you missed a real treat. I got John to play the prelude to " Also Sprach Zarathustra " for the group that was in his room at the time ( I didn't really have to twist his arm, either ) While he's playing it, he retrieves his SPL meter from the desk, and after he stopped the playback at the end of the prelude, he announced that we were hitting 101Db at the couch. The gentleman next to me ( named Barry, I didn't get his last name, or a screen name for him ) Announced " All I need now is a cigarette, and a change of underwear " Best line I heard all Day, totally broke up the room...Fantastic speakers. Thanks to Mr. Busch for bringing them all the way from Cali.

Audio Kinesis, Duke builds an outstanding product, the Rythm Prism's were very nice, balanced, well voiced, excellent imaging, good match for the room, Had dinner with Duke before I left for home, with Norris Wilson, his wife Diana, Shane ( Kudos to the Organiser, Shane. I'm quite sure that he spent many hundreds of hours getting the show off the ground for this year. ), Thanks again for Dinner Norris.

Pi speakers, Wayne brought some absolutely georgeous 3Pi's with many coats of hand rubbed Nitrocelulose Lacquer. I was amazed to learn that the 12" woofered 3's were actually bigger than the 15' woofered 4's I heard last year. The sound was just what I expected, Wayne does the HE 2 ways to a level of excellence that I would compare to anything similar. You can play any kind of music through his stuff, and it just sounds wonderful. I tried to stop back in for a third listen/visit late in the day, but he was gone to dinner.

Uriah Dailey's "lighter Note" Passive-Pre/Volume control was very interesting, an LDR based controller, where the wiper in the Pot is removed from the signal path of the music. I heard it in his room up on 4th floor ( Too bad they couldn't get everyone on the same floor, especially for those who were not located with the rest of the exhibitors.) Uriah's system was worth the trip up the elevator, he was playing a little Odd Watt integrated, into his Audio Nirvana 12" MLTL's with a Fostex T-90 on top, very nice presentation. I like the single driver's, and I know they aren't for everybody, but other than needing to be right in the "sweet spot", very nice presentation. the Lighter Note was just what you would want it to be, wide sound stage, not adding/subtracting anything from the music, and dead silent. ( Duke at Audio Kinesis had one of these in his system too, I heard several very nice comments about the Lighter Note.)

Mr. Jackson's field coils were a treat too. The Lowther's in his room on those beautiful big O'l Horns were very laid back for what I have come to expect from Lowthers, I liked them, but didn't get to spend enough time in there to really listen to them, I spent more time around the corner listening to the Mark Audio Field coils. They had them in Mark Audio's "Pensil" cabinet designed by Scottmoose ( now Woden Designs I believe ). I thought they had a balanced presentation, nice bass, overall I liked them. There was Vinyl a spinnnin' in that room, and I was diggin' it. I came back later in the day and convinced Italynstalion ( SP? ) to hook up the little Lotus BVR's and was delighted to hear them too. They had not optomized the placement of them, and apologized for that, but I enjoyed hearing them anyway. The Lotus would kill in a small room, and the side firing drivers really add to the sound stage.

There were a number of other things I heard and enjoyed, the Altec 605's Panomaniac had, the Von Schweikerts, the Tylers ( Big Sound ), Danny Richie's MTM in the Virtue Audio room ( nice amps too ). The Jr. audiophile winners, enjoyed chatting with Scott too.

If I mis-remembered any names, or details, please forgive me, I need to go to sleep now.
John

Jumping Cactus, that's it. I could live with them. I should also mention John Busch's speakers. Very, very nice integration of the tweeter. The room and the bass setup were not mutually compatible.

There was a distinct "hi-fi" sound that we noticed in many of the commercial rooms. Boom, tizz, and some upper midrange suckout.

Uriah's speakers were quite good. I can't help but think they'd be better without the extra tweeter (the rolloff of his main driver at 17kHz was fatal to him, but my ears are several decades older and more encrusted), and the upper midrange/lower treble is definitely flavored by the whizzer, but the midrange and bass sounded tight, clean, detailed, and dynamic to me.

Highlight of the show was Panomaniac playing (without me asking!) the entirety of "Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers." The bottle of J-P Brun L'Ancien didn't hurt.

Seems like all you guys missed Richie on the ground floor with his superb, newly designed OB's. P Audio 12inch coax on top, and two servo driven OB 12" subs down low.....a result of his compilation with Rythmik. To my knowledge he is the only one employing servo tech in OB subs. The bass was some of the most well controlled and coherent i've heard to date. The P audio coax used (although a tad hot for my tastes) was outstanding as well. This is to be offered as a kit speaker and I will stand on saying it will put any sub 10k offering (retail or kit) to shame. http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=q4bbrhugeqkueop26l4jr4ksfig0aedg&topic=72093.0

I heard that twice and indeed it was great (2nd floor though, wasn't it), but as I mentioned in my original post, I only mentioned 10% of the show so it's up to everyone to post their impressions and pics, because my camera's batteries died :)

Those were his smaller OB's, the v-2 with the 8" coax. These were the super-v. He had a much better room setup on the ground floor in one of the smaller conference rooms, fed by tube gear from Dodd.

But these were the opposite. How they achieved that is the mystery :)

Not such a mystery.. they were horn loaded, rasing the output of the midrange to match the average in the treble region.

Lowther EX3

Note the comment by Troels:

"..Maybe a mid-horn, lifting the 200-1000 Hz region up some 5-6 dB might be able to somewhat balance the 2 kHz peak. Ad a decent bass horn + corner placement and we may get an overall balanced sound from 50 Hz to the highest treble.."

I don't believe that's the case, nor do I believe that's any kind of solution. The fact is, the drivers were much smoother than stock drivers when mounted in an open baffle as well.

John

It's entirely possible that the open baffle version had some equalization. (..or perhaps listened to off-axis?)

Don't get me wrong, I think it's probably that the alteration in magnet - also changed the freq. balance somewhat.. but it wouldn't "get around" the first dominate peak in response in the lower treble due to the whizer.

But if you believe it or not, yes: a horn with a lowther can in fact significantly raise the midrange *and* lower higher freq. treble output.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.