litz inductor wire for speaker wire.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
One of the chefs who trained me (the great Charles Downing) used to say, "There are three major mistakes made by home cooks. Not enough heat, not enough butter, not enough salt."
So, nothing here about salt releasing certain aromatics - it's just an unfounded claim then!

I hear routinely that the high THD and IM from flea powered single ended amps restore harmonics that were somehow misplaced along the way. That's not unlike the sonic "enhancers." But since this is all an illusion, if it improves the experience for some listeners, that's great. I don't like it in recording since, once salted, it's hard to remove the salt.
So, you do enjoy your illusions, excellent!

If the knobs were made of the right crystals then you wouldn't need to buy extra crystals to put on top of your equipment. The knobs could absorb all that nasty energy and convert it into pure clean energy.

The $500 knobs were treated with a magic varnish, so it was the next best thing. They may have been available with crystal compartments, I can't remember.

Are you saying that it has been determined that the presence of salt increases sensitivity to other flavours? Given that most flavours are detected with the nose how does that work?

For thousands of years men have known that an egg tastes much better when lightly salted. Real salt, not typical table salt, is good for you in moderation. Its almost as if the need for salt was inbuilt when it comes to certain foods. I think that music reproducers are just screaming for audio salt. Music is supposed to make you feel good, not correct.

One of the chefs who trained me (the great Charles Downing) used to say, "There are three major mistakes made by home cooks. Not enough heat, not enough butter, not enough salt."

I don't know how far back you go as to know who he is... I used to work for Chef Gerhard Schmid. World Culinary medal winner several times back in the 70's. Last time I checked, he was an associate professor at Johnson and Wales.

I did not work the kitchen, but learned some helpful tips those years. Chef and his wife owned a beautiful mansion that was transformed into a country Inn, in Lenox, MA. Just up the street from Tanglewood. I was resident manager. Had all my meals there as part of my perks. :p I got spoiled in a very good way.

Crystal Power!!

If the knobs were made of the right crystals then you wouldn't need to buy extra crystals to put on top of your equipment. The knobs could absorb all that nasty energy and convert it into pure clean energy.

Hey!! I've got quartz/amethyst/drusy crystals laying all over my listening room (being of the dying breed of minerologists/collectors)!! maybe that's why the music sounds sooo much clearer, what with quartz's natural harmonic resonance with the music... eh??

Sometimes when I turn it WAAYY up, and the spouse leaves, the hands of my quartz powered watches run backwards, and I forget what day it is... hehe:D;):rolleyes:

John L.

Have a look around for lazy electrons approx 84mm/hour
http://www.radioelectronicschool.net/files/downloads/howfast.pdf

A very interesting read. Never would/could have known. I felt quite ignorant. I should. I was.

What that manual illustrates about how electrons travel through wire? What would skin effect be when using the domino example? Could it be, instead of the orderly falling by pushing of dominoes in a line? Would skin effect be like triggering other dominoes situated parallel to the ones being pushed down the line in a manner that is erratic? As if knocking over the dominoes that are sitting half way down the row, and not having them begun from the first one in line?

Using the domino analogy as shown with that link. Could you please explain what skin effect causes to the flow of electrons in a typical multi stranded wire?

Skin effect 101?

Thank you.. Gene

I know this is an old thread. But after reading that?

Its just the opposite. Stranded wire that is not insulated like litz (each fine strand insulated from the other) causes the flowing electrons to leap randomly from strand to strand down the wire. That effect homogenizes the signal, and that is what does mix the image up. Typical wire caused a fuzziness to the sound that you do not know is there until you hear it gone.

In contrast. Litz allows for a very accurate transfer and pin point imaging if your system will allow for it. That means all the audio line (speakers wires and interconnects) would need to be litz to achieve this. Solid core can work on short connections inside the electronics where you find litz too hard to implement.

Back in the day I had a high end integrated amp with a phono input. It had only about two inches of thin stranded wire from the input RCA jacks to the board. That weak signal was amplified many times higher for a phono cartridge. When I replaced these short wires with thin litz? The high end buzziness (often times attributed to solid state) was removed. At first it can make the higher frequency instruments sound dull in comparison because that high-end frazzle is removed by the litz. Cymbals and drums take on a much more realistic sound. That is, if your entire audio chain is devoid of any typical uninsulated stranded wire throughout.

Just could not leave that rest.

Loving litz, GeneZ
Oh no, another cable thread revived:eek:
This thread seems to begin with speaker cables, so I'm not going to go into depth about other things.
The two inches of cable you mention actually will effect the total performance of the interconnect. So yes, it may make some improvement because the interconnect characteristic is not ideal. Additionally, changing one thing may not be itself technically correct, but its effect might compensate for characteristics of other places in the system to form a better system.

Oh no, another cable thread revived:eek:
This thread seems to begin with speaker cables, so I'm not going to go into depth about other things.
The two inches of cable you mention actually will effect the total performance of the interconnect. So yes, it may make some improvement because the interconnect characteristic is not ideal. Additionally, changing one thing may not be itself technically correct, but its effect might compensate for characteristics of other places in the system to form a better system.

Back in the 70's- 80's solid state equipment universally had a high frequency frazzle to it that was accepted as a part of the amplification process. Tubes tended to gloss this over, so tubes had a following to give a sweeter high end.

What I discovered in that a case was that the litz removed that frazzle. The phono amplification suddenly became quieter. Instruments playing in the higher registers sounded smoother without sounding smoothed over and tamed by compensation, but more like the actual instrument itself. That was a special moment I had with litz. Cymbals and the like sounded much closer to what they really sound like.

What happened did not make me feel like the musicians were in my room. But, I knew it was just one more step to implement in getting closer in the quest to finding out how to get the music to sound convincingly real. No more raw stranded wires for me if I can help it.

In a similar fashion, I remember the polarity reversal controversy when it broke on the scene. Some claimed it was nonsense. I could easily hear the difference on my system, and all other systems I have had since. Some still claim its quackery.

Of course, some things are quackery. Some things are not, but will seem that way to those who can not discern the difference. My concern is not to convince those who oppose when I know something is for the better for me. I only wish to share for those who will see it for themselves. My appreciation stems from my being able to benefit.

I try to keep an open mind when something comes along that stands in a road not taken before. That does not mean will I take it if there is no way to make a U turn after entering.

Until something better than litz comes along? For me.. its my wiring of choice.

Gene

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.