Listening Test. Trying to understand what we think we hear.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I was using Foobar ABX.

I've found Foobar quite fatiguing (mentally) and often resort back to just listening normally and seeing which seems the best that way.

Gonna have to fire up Diffmaker again

Go for it :up:

There must differences due to the files being made individually as well as the fact the devices changed.

One reason I haven't put the original up is simply that it would instantly stand out when analysed, if only because of the AC coupling and associated phase shift.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
OK, did a first run through of ranking - feeling a bit stale with the exercise, so will try again tomorrow when refreshed, and take a second run on it, see if my first impressions still hold.

That's great Frank. Appreciate you trying them. Would you say the audible differences are as large as you might have thought (just by seeing the list) or not ?

Careful with ranking them by "how nice" and "favorite"

To draw an analogy with effects units (and throw me the float as I can't swim), if you apply bass boost or 3D or etc once it may sound good. If you apply it twice it may be overboard. There are 5 op-amps in the chain in this case.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hey, thanks for trying them.

If you find these all sound pretty similar at a first listen then that's a perfectly valid and honest result.

I'll tell you something, and its this :) When I try files like these, and of course knowing what they are, and seeing 'This is device xyz' on the screen and then flipping to another device and seeing that on the screen then its 'easy' to imagine and think you prefer the device you really believe to be better is better. The silent bits are darker, the vocals stand out, hey, I just heard that faint backing track carry over in the left channel... that wasn't there on the other. But then you repeat the test blind and that difference can melt away.

Of course all these devices can be sorted into order via their technical specs and strengths but when we listen to them, well is that difference as apparent as we perhaps imagined ;)

I'll give it a whirl on some headphones soon as well.

Perhaps I didn't read the OP correctly, but is there at least a straight-through DAC->ADC normal (or several salted it)? Don't know what to expect, honestly, as they all technically seem competent for the application (x5 might have an effect, though).

Did try a second run, but didn't really find anything more to add. Unfortunately, some stupid Windows process has suddenly decided to randomly rev up to max disk access while playing, to the point of causing the playback to glitch at times - which is throwing off any chance of doing more subtle evaluation. I went through the exercise of killing off all these silly things some time ago, but obviously there is still one around to cause me grief - I'm not in the mood right now to track it down ...

That's great Frank. Appreciate you trying them. Would you say the audible differences are as large as you might have thought (just by seeing the list) or not ?
Karl, how subjectively apparent the differences are depends, at least for me, on the state of tune of the playback setup - strangely perhaps for some people, a halfway there status is often the best for distinguishing variations like these here: one is still registering the playback quality as well as the recording qualities - if one of the latter sources is just a bit better then it may more dramatically overshadow the playback deficiencies, and stand out as being "much" better.

The list of devices means little to me, I would not attempt in any way to associate what I'm hearing with the particular items, ;).

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I'll give it a whirl on some headphones soon as well.

Perhaps I didn't read the OP correctly, but is there at least a straight-through DAC->ADC normal (or several salted it)? Don't know what to expect, honestly, as they all technically seem competent for the application (x5 might have an effect, though).

All the files here are: Micromega Stage 2 player > opamps > ADC. There is a rip of the original (level matched as best as possible) that I'll put up later for any of these files to be compared against.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Did try a second run, but didn't really find anything more to add.

There is no problem in saying that. Perhaps when used as pure buffers these devices are all essentially transparent, more so than we might ever have suspected.

The list of devices means little to me, I would not attempt in any way to associate what I'm hearing with the particular items, ;).

That's a big part of what this is about. As I mentioned earlier, when I can see the device I'm listening to, then I'm 'certain' I hear what I want to hear. When that visual cue is taken away and I'm listening blind, those obvious differences disappear.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.