List of best DIY Headphone Amplifiers

No. Lets build our own. This is diy after all

Attachments

• 20221227_221958.jpg
    20221227_221958.jpg
    455.6 KB · Views: 564
Thanks :) Its my own homebrew. Capmx>tracking lm317/337 then the gain module. Partitioned ground plane and thorough rf shielding. The pinouts for the module allow for textbook perfect opamp layout. Currently enjoying whammy and je918 modules. It sounds very high fidelity

Reactions: 1 user
I am waiting for some parts and the PCB to build Mark's T2 head amp.

Will be comparing it against few others I've build through the years, including:

-A Mosfet amp based on Marcello's (Tortello) Zen-like design with simple, unregulated PSU

-An opamp+transistor amp (NE5534+BD139/40) with regulated PSU

-A tube design based on a variation of EARMax amp by Morgan Jones (tube rectifier PSU, AC filaments)

-Another tube design using 6DJ8 with 6AS7 as CF (also tube rectifier PSU, AC filaments)

I like the simple, all through-hole, low parts-count approach of Mark's design. Will power it with some kind of linear PSU though.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Can you share me about Portable Headphone Amplifier for earbud ? I do not see any Battery Powered Amplifier in this topic.
I designed a pocket Class A headphone amp a while back. Superb sounding single ended Class A. Should work well for earbuds as they are generally very sensitive. For regular cans, don’t go lower than 50ohms impedance.

The BF862 is harder to find and can be replaced by 2SK209 with a small resistor change. Output MOSFETs can be almost anything N channel and even IRF610 can work. I ended up using a pair of Panasonic SEPF 1000uF 16v caps in parallel for output DC block. This can drive 50ohm headphones. Rechargeable 9v batteries last almost 3hrs per charge. Don’t use alkaline except for testing unless you don’t mind going through expensive batteries like water. :)
1675687508320.png

1675687406275.jpeg

I came from Vietnam. I asked in your thread about changing capacitor. I am using Whammy headamp, it drives my diy earbud awesome, so I try to find class A portable for my earbud when I want to listen music far from home. But I think portable class A can not compare with desktop amp like Whammy.

Maybe not available as a kit but the schematic is available (inspired by David Berning's MicroZotl) and it is considered by many to be the best (arguably) so i juts gave it i go and i must admit it is very clean and powerful enough to even drive a loudspeaker (dc level is possible if no coupling cap is used).
QKAD2991.JPG
IMG_3800.jpg
IMG_3789.jpg
IMG_3202.jpg
IMG_3234.jpg
IMG_3201.jpg
IMG_4099.JPG

Reactions: 3 users