Linkwitz transform on RS225?

Joined 2018
Paid Member
I run RS225 in approx 25 litres. I did port them for added LF extension but I do prefer sealed. I was thinking about going back to sealed and adding a second RS225. Will halve the excursion.

But then got to thinking about doing an LT on them. RS225 in 25litres Sims as FC = 69hz and q = 0.68 for 1 woofer and 0.86 for X2 RS225. Haven't measured but I think it was about there.

I plugged this in an LT spreadsheet. The target Q=1 helps with the F6/F10. I think I would aim for a Q of 0.6 or so normally sealed. Or atleast I like the sound of that. Does this add much GD?
Have kept it quite modest for now as don't want the gain to be too high. Probably will run them on a JLE 3255 but maybe needs more power. Small ish UK living room so SPL required isn't massive.

The LT obviously asks a lot of the power demands and excursion capabilities. If I add a given LT to one woofer, what happens if I add a second woofer? The original Fsc raises. Does the 2nd driver help in the excursion? Does it make the power demands worse?

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-05-17-07-40-34-06_87869c5c71fa0655e350912352595c23.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-05-17-07-40-34-06_87869c5c71fa0655e350912352595c23.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 92
I would try putting the driver details into WinISD and then add the transform in the filter section and see what the excursion and SPL is at a sensible amp power (say 50W). You can download WinISD formatted driver data from the loudspeakerdatabase site and add them to the directory with all of the driver in it. I suspect with that transform you will run out of excursion pretty quickly at the low end.

It's not clear what gave you the impression of an "undefined conjugate". No reason for it to be undefined. Back when I designed the circuit I had built, I was using Speaker Workshop, an early freeware loudspeaker measurement and design software. I was able to define a high-pass filter as target curve and tune the filter to achieve the desired final response.
LT is a solution to a part of the design problem. That is, to extend LF range downward by introducing a shelf filter. But it introduces a new problem: possible LF overload. A complete solution would include a high-pass filter to limit LF energy into the woofer. However, it does not need 2 sections (i.e., LT + HPF): a single peaking HPF can achieve both.

shelf filter is a shelf filter.

just turn up the bass knob.

and basically yes adding a second woofer
will flatten the response as is.
So less boost is needed.
Since a basic .5 crossover would be done to boost
below baffle step losses and flatten the response.

Plain English it already has more bass with second
woofer. But yes if you do boost bass.
You have a second woofer and the extra linear travel ( Xmax)
to feasible get more SPL.
In real life same listening levels, just less fart out with big bass dynamics.

Dont need spend much time calculating power stuffs.
It is what it is.
Doubling woofers will improve the capability to not reach distortion
quicker. And you get what yah get with chosen woofers.

225 pretty good woofer as is.
Fs is 28 Hz so low tuning is easy.
So when you goose the EQ the port doesnt
bloom. Like annoying high tuned systems
tuned high 45 , 55, 65 Hz etc etc.

Most " bass" detail what people think is " Sub"
is not 20 Hz. The nice transients are 30 to 60 Hz
so as long as the port is NOT there.
You get nice accurate bass.
Dual woofers even better

Reactions: 1 user