Legendary speakers..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Classic speaker with built in amp and rec

Nothing beat my Juliette back in early 70s . way under rated . This classic model sounded like a live concert in my bathroom.

Attachments

• d867_1.jpg
    d867_1.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 1,393
OK-- just to join in the fun. With respect to the other great speakers mentioned (most of which I agree with)-- I would like to add, in no particular order and for different reasons:

EPI 100 (great tweeter, superb speaker in the right room)
AvantGarde Duo (still in production)
Magnepan 20.1 (still in production)

By the way, the helium plasma speaker was the Hill Plasmatronic.

Mark

I'll add the Rat Shack Minimus 7. They must have sold a million of these over the years. They were modeled after the "David" speaker mentioned earlier, although they were not in the same league. I bet that if many of you looked around through your hoard of audio treasures, you might very well have a pair stashed away. I don't expect anyone to admit owning a set of these, other than myself, that is.

Another "brand" that has consistently turned out very good speakers is Harbeth. I was over at a friend's house last week and he had a pair of Model 30's playing. They were very nice indeed, I hadn't thought about Harbeth in years, but every one I ever heard was excellent. They look kinda "clunky," I wonder if that's why they are seldom carried by dealers.

Best Regards,
TerryO

I'd like to add another Radio Shack Entry.

The Realistic Mach One

Ajustable Mids and Highs on the box, A 15 inch woofer that, while somewhat low in wattage for a 15, was efficient enough to make even the smallest amps roar, and on a moderate amp ( about 50 watts) they sounded like a Battleship firing broadsides in your living room, and the Mid and Tweeter horns were loud and clear enough to keep up with the "gunboats" mounted below them.

Overall a powerful, yet accurate sounding set that were among many of Radio Shack's "sleepers".

TerryO said:
I'll add the Rat Shack Minimus 7. They must have sold a million of these over the years........ I bet that if many of you looked around through your hoard of audio treasures, you might very well have a pair stashed away. I don't expect anyone to admit owning a set of these, other than myself, that is...........

Best Regards,
TerryO

Terry,

I proudly declare that I own 2 pairs of the black Mini-7's (40-2030C) made in Japan (not Malaysia or Singapore), and 2 1/2 pair Pro-7AVs (the "1/2" pair is actually my center speaker).

Oh, and I forgot, I have set as favorite searches in eBay: Minimus 7, Minimus 7W, and Pro-7AV. I estimate that I will need no fewer than four more pair before everything is right in the world for me. :D

I also second the vote for the Realstatic (Uh, I meant Realistic) Mach Ones. Having worked for the big red Radio Schmuck, I sold my share of the Mach Twos, and of course sold (and bought) my share of Mini-7's over the years. I lamented the day they finally discontinued them (and the Mini-77s, and the Mini-11's). The only follow-on I ever liked to the '-7's were the Pro-7AVs, as they stayed as close to the originals as possible, while adding a turnable logo, and of course, magnetic shielding.

I want to start a new thread (after searching first, of course) asking if anyone has ever internally amplified their Mini-7's (or -77s or -11s) with a chip-amp? I'm hoping this will spark some interest.

As for other entries, how about the Matthew Polk SDA-series from the 80's? You had to run cables between the L & R drivers to get the correct stereo imaging, or something like that. I think Polk likened it to having the headphone effect (no crosstalk) without the headphones. Hmmmm............

Cheers for now and '73,

Steve

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.