Legendary speakers..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I'm trying to compile a list of "legendary" speakers of old and new, expensive and inexpensive, and why. Looking for "revolutionary" stuff and stuff that any audiophile would love to have, just to have. Please help me out. I'm not too well versed on the older stuff.

I'll start:
Klipschorn
Magneplanar MG20
Polk Audio SRT system
Advent Large (dad had these)

Konnichiwa,

eRiCdWoNg said:
Hi, I'm trying to compile a list of "legendary" speakers of old and new, expensive and inexpensive, and why. Looking for "revolutionary" stuff and stuff that any audiophile would love to have, just to have. Please help me out. I'm not too well versed on the older stuff.

Complete Speaker Systems:
====================

Hartley Concert Master
Gradient Revolution
Audio Artistry - all models

Those are nominated for being the only commercial speakers to offer operating principles that maximise their performance in moderatly small rooms.

Quad ESL-63

Full rage ESL, still great and has it's fans.

Tannoy GRF Autograph

THE other speaker to hanker after.

Drive Units:
========

Eckmiller Koaxial from Germany

Probably the best possible coax driver EVER.

Tannoy, Altec and Parmeko Coaxials

Excellent large format Coax Drivers

Lowther (Voigt), 1940's to 1960's German Radio Fullrange Drivers (Saba, Koerting etc), old Supravox Drivers, most models in the Goodmans Axiom series but especially Axiom 80, Coral Beta 8 and Beta 10 Drivers, Hartley Fullrange Drivers

in modern times Phy Hp and Supravox make excellent drivers, Lowther seem to make/have made too many hanges to the originals, their latest drivers sound pleasant enough but nothing sounds like early PM2's in front horns.... Also noteworthy in modern times are AER, Fertin (if you can get them) and REPS.

All of the above correctly applied are excellent fullrange systems.

Other Drivers to mention, because of their sheer audacity are the Electrovoice 30" Woofer, the Hartley 24" and the Fostex 32" (80cm) Woofers.

Sayonara

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
how about Genesis 1.1

Attachments

• prd_1p1large.jpg
    prd_1p1large.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 6,258
Re: philips

Aiace said:
philips (norelco for the americn peaple) full range 800 ohm. For more info look at http://melhuish.org/audio/drivers.html.
I'm the lucky man that have a quad of his brother

:eek:
Man, I remember those.:cool:
There was also a front-magnet full-range, used in many 60's Philips B&W valve TV-sets.
I always found the sound of old Philips TV-sets very good, at the time they were the best.
I was a kid and those TV-sets were old but my father repaired tons of those.

As for legendary speakers, Epos ES11.
I'm biased anyway, as I'm a proud owner and I love'em.:bawling:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.