• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Legato 3 - Look ma! No caps!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would not suggest it. Still it may be possible if you choose an op-amp for BAL/SE stage that can handle those rails.

I wouldn't do it.

Thanks Russ.

Looking up the LM4562 datasheet, it looks like it can take up to 17V rail supply voltage and the LME49600 can take up to 18V. Seems like I should be OK with 16V rails. Are you concerned with power-on surge?

My delima is trying to use the same Placid BP that powers the Legato to also power a Dynalo headphone amp which I hope to run on 16V rails. Maybe I should consider tuning the Dynalo for 15V rails. After all the headphones that are intended to be used with the Dynalo are both low-impedance headphones.

Hi there,
Not long ago i had one of Panasonic FM caps damaged by accident, so i replaced it temporarily with what i had at hand - Panasonic FR 330/25V as they are almost the same size. This could be burn-in related or something, but i noticed the difference and replaced the rest of electrolytes on one channel to 330/25 just to compare left/right out of curiosity and i "think" the side with 330 could be sounding better...

Is it ok to use larger values in these positions (C9,10,13,14,15,16)? Because i have a lot of these 330/25 and none of 100/25. They also have half the impedance of 100/25 so should be a good thing?

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Brian, Russ or anyone....

Originally Posted by Erlend Sæterdal
Is it possible to use other resistors around the opamp to get some gain there ? Change the resistors 21-24 to 10 kohm ?

Yes. It's a straight forward op-amp stage, so the usual gain calculations can be used.

Is it possible to get 7 to 10 volts of output from the opamp output stage, without sonic damage? I'd like to use the Legato to go direct in to the PASS F4 which has no voltage gain.

Joined 2001
Paid Member
I don't post stuff very often but wanted to share something. My Legato 3 is sounding REALLY nice with some changes I've made recently. Maybe I'm blinded by the new "sheen" and the excitement will wear off but anyhow.. I used the Legato 3 completely stock for a couple of weeks before mods (replaced a tweaked Legato 2) to get a feel for it. My dac is powered by Salas shunt supplies which I don't believe perform the best with a lot of capacitance at the load. Here's what I've got: I removed all of the stock capacitors (with proper rework equipment) and replaced the 2n2 Wima's with polystyrenes (LCR Components, 2200pf, EXFS/HR series, $2 ea. at Newark). Swapped the electrolytics with Vishay MKP1837 .1uF caps. I use the SE output so I pulled the stock LM4562 and socket and replaced with a J-FET-input OPA1642 on a SOIC8 to DIP8 adapter. Concerned about decoupling I carefully soldered SMD Panasonic ECPU .1uF caps right at the supply pins. Also used Panasonic ECHU 100pF caps in place of the stock ones (directly across adapter pins on the bottom of the board). None of this stuff fits the board and I had to get creative. I would not recommend doing all of this without lots of experience, a good magnifier and solder/desolder rework station, a steady hand and patience. My usual demo music that's been played a million times is alive now in a way I've not experienced before. Big improvement top to bottom but particularly the upper range.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.