Leak Sandwich 600 project

Hi all,

I have a pair of Leak 600 which I picked up about 10 yrs ago from a work colleague thankfully he knew what he had. Sadly one the mid bass units has died. So I am going to embark on a restoration in the same vain as Bon. I will using very similar speakers. I have been able to find a polystyrene/aluminium cone woofer at The Loudspeaker Kit 835024 - PEERLESS 5" MID-WOOFER HDS - Aluminium and D2606-922000 - »VIFA 1" SILK DOME TWEETER D27TG35-04. Althought I not sure I will go down the constrained baffle path. After reading through the post I will replace the caps in crossover. I am struggling to find the correct values as they aren't preferred values (bugger). I have basic knowledge of speaker crossovers. If I replace the caps with the nearest preferred value, I guess I will change the crossover point slightly which I doubt my ears will hear. Am I missing any thing else. Also I guess I am best to use polypropylene audio caps.

Any other thoughts

Cheers Andrew

Joined 2014
Paid Member
For the caps, find a combination of smaller values that add up and parallel them.

Although generally, within 10% is okay, within 5% is great.

Those drivers are very close but you may find the tweeter a little louder, you can adjust the series resistor if it bugs you.

If your old tweeters are good, just change the ferrofluid (I think your originals have it), they will be fine, save your money.

Unfortunately the fine wire from the terminal to the voice coil is broken on one of them. I have tried to solder a new wire but couldn't. Interesting I didn't know u could replace ferro fluid. Thanks for the info on the caps the 47uf are within the 10% so I should b right. I'll see if can work out a network that gets me to 50 without spending a fortune on caps.

Hi All,

I was about to embark on a similar restoration of a pair of Leak Sandwich 600 3 way speakers along similar lines to Bon. I was double checking the measurements of my cardboard tub behind the old mid range driver and found it is 65mm ID. The magnet diameter of my chosen driver Peerless aluminum cone 835024 is 90mm. This is the same size as the drivers Bon used in his project. I know his baffle is different, but even with this consideration this driver would fit and neither would the 4 inch version. I am curious if I am missing something here? Was there a version of the Leaks that had a larger cardboard tube? Looks like I will need to rework the box to add the new bass drivers and tweeters. I am thinking I will need to calculate the appropriate size enclosure for the new mid bass unit and some how install that into the original box. Alternatively build new enclosures hopefully I wont have to go down this path. Any thoughts.

Cheers Andrew

Hi all,

I have a pair of Leak 600 which I picked up about 10 yrs ago from a work colleague thankfully he knew what he had. Sadly one the mid bass units has died. So I am going to embark on a restoration in the same vain as Bon. I will using very similar speakers. I have been able to find a polystyrene/aluminium cone woofer at The Loudspeaker Kit 835024 - PEERLESS 5" MID-WOOFER HDS - Aluminium and D2606-922000 - »VIFA 1" SILK DOME TWEETER D27TG35-04. Althought I not sure I will go down the constrained baffle path. After reading through the post I will replace the caps in crossover. I am struggling to find the correct values as they aren't preferred values (bugger). I have basic knowledge of speaker crossovers. If I replace the caps with the nearest preferred value, I guess I will change the crossover point slightly which I doubt my ears will hear. Am I missing any thing else. Also I guess I am best to use polypropylene audio caps.

Any other thoughts

Cheers Andrew
I use 4 leak sandwich 600s and I absolutely love them. I suggest you get a man who knows about these things to sort it. My guy did the whole better quality components crossover thing and I have a pair of Linn tweeters in one pair and celestion ditton tweeters in the other. They sound exactly how I like my music to sound, smooth with a roughness. I drive the 4 with the brilliant sansui AU 717. Just had her re capped (the dreaded sansui glue) £600 all in (£200 for the caps alone. Worth every penny.👍

Hi All,

I was about to embark on a similar restoration of a pair of Leak Sandwich 600 3 way speakers along similar lines to Bon. I was double checking the measurements of my cardboard tub behind the old mid range driver and found it is 65mm ID. The magnet diameter of my chosen driver Peerless aluminum cone 835024 is 90mm. This is the same size as the drivers Bon used in his project. I know his baffle is different, but even with this consideration this driver would fit and neither would the 4 inch version. I am curious if I am missing something here? Was there a version of the Leaks that had a larger cardboard tube? Looks like I will need to rework the box to add the new bass drivers and tweeters. I am thinking I will need to calculate the appropriate size enclosure for the new mid bass unit and some how install that into the original box. Alternatively build new enclosures hopefully I wont have to go down this path. Any thoughts.

Cheers Andrew
How did they turn out?

I use 4 leak sandwich 600s and I absolutely love them. I suggest you get a man who knows about these things to sort it. My guy did the whole better quality components crossover thing and I have a pair of Linn tweeters in one pair and celestion ditton tweeters in the other. They sound exactly how I like my music to sound, smooth with a roughness. I drive the 4 with the brilliant sansui AU 717. Just had her re capped (the dreaded sansui glue) £600 all in (£200 for the caps alone. Worth every penny.👍
Whereabouts in the U.K. are you, and who is your guy, if you don’t mind me asking?

I have a possible opportunity to get my hands on a pair of 3-way 600s. Even though they’re really far too large for me, I remain tempted, even though I should resist..