"Le bouledogue" (The bulldog) a very fun project with the SLS P830945 and SB26STCN

Hello to All !
This project started because I have a 7L small box and not to know what to do with it.
Looking for small driver which can fit in this and can make bass. The SLS P830945 seems to be a good candidate, It is a subwoofer and can handle a tweeter till 3KHz :)
For the tweeter, the Peerless DX20 was a good candidate but it is a 3/4", go to 2Khz could not be its cup of tea. SB acoustics have the sb26 in small form factor ! Good ! and don't know how this series works, I would like discover. The project was on the way ! Peerless has made a passive radiator, the SDS P830880 (Thanks to @wolf_teeth for the TS parameters, publish on Part-express forum). After some simulations of the box with this passive, it was OK.
Not a lot project with this tiny subwoofer SLS 5.25 only one, 3 ways, high end project, goes further in definition : Purveyor; a dynamite small 3-way with concussive tendencies....
After some hard work, measurements, simulations, found a good solution, a crossover ~2400Hz LR4 with good phase tracking. The sound is great and this speaker can play loud, and goes low ! For the price it is a bargain.
Pleased to shared this project. I think this 5.525 subwoofer can have a lot of application to make high quality system in HC, HIFI with two in MTM/MMTMM to make center and floor standing speaker. The sensitivity is low but not a problem with modern amplifier.
The speaker :
photo_hq_bouledogue.JPG

The name bulldog is coming from the Peerless 5.25 with it big roll surround. It remind me this dog. Can play loud in a small box.

The technical details :
Project-bouledogue-v1.gif

The price : 160€ drivers, 100€ crossover parts, 100€ for a pretty box. Total 360€ (~400$) for a pair !

It was a pleasure to discover this small woofer. I have used the 10" and 12", they work well in open baffle design with low distortion.

Have fun !

Edit : I forgot to mention this option if the rear panel permits you can add a second passive P830880, it is cheap and +3dB in the bass (60Hz). The box resonance rises from 40 to 50Hz. The binding post should be small. I don't test this option but I suppose the level of bass becomes terrific, useful in large room.

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: 6 users
Many thanks wolf_teeth ! I have got a lot pleasure with this speaker :)
You see I have a problem of space on the rear panel, the binding post take a lot of space. The box as is was a constrains for me.
Add a second passive is possible and rise the response in the bass +3dB. It is an option I forgot to mention.
Honestly I was not sure too it was working with one passive, but to my ears it was OK and this woofer can go surprisingly low. My room is small 25 square meter and I have enough bass. I didn't notice bass problem at high level. Sure not work like my SEAS C16 in 20L and a SB16 passive, not the same price, but with this speaker nothing to complains.
An other thing in a two way I never looking for to goes low, to keep a good mid-range. In a three way it was an other story ;)

Thank you for a quick response. I have had these speakers at home for a long time and now I have a reason and a chance to use them successfully. I also have some parts for crossovers that I can recycle. So for me the ideal project. I'll let you know if there's anything new.
IMG_2902.JPG

Reactions: 1 users
Ano, bylo to myšleno tak, že napíšu, jestli u mě dojde k nějakému pokroku, a předvedu svou verzi sestavení. Chci použít pasivní radiátor SB15SFCR-00 5x8. Má celkově menší výšku než 2x P830880 (15mm) a půjde tak do nižší krabice.

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Ano, bylo to myšleno tak, že napíšu, jestli u mě dojde k nějakému pokroku, a předvedu svou verzi sestavení. Chci použít pasivní radiátor SB15SFCR-00 5x8. Má celkově menší výšku než 2x P830880 (15mm) a půjde tak do nižší krabice.
Translation:

Yes, it was meant to be that I'll post if I make any progress and show off my version of the build. I want to use SB15SFCR-00 5x8 passive radiator. It has an overall smaller height than 2x P830880 (15mm) and will therefore fit into a lower box.

Please post in English

:cop: Hugo
Moderation team

@jerome69 How did you find the midrange clarity of the SLS P830945 when used in a 2-way design? It looks optimised for bass or for compact 3-way systems. But I am considering using it for a 2-way design too with a low crossover at ~1.8kHz LR4. I'm mindful of the large peak at 3.5kHz at least as shown on the datasheet: SLS P830945. Did you find this audible with your crossover at 2.4kHz. Any other notes you have on use of that woofer? Nice build

@jerome69 How did you find the midrange clarity of the SLS P830945 when used in a 2-way design? It looks optimised for bass or for compact 3-way systems. But I am considering using it for a 2-way design too with a low crossover at ~1.8kHz LR4. I'm mindful of the large peak at 3.5kHz at least as shown on the datasheet: SLS P830945. Did you find this audible with your crossover at 2.4kHz. Any other notes you have on use of that woofer? Nice build
The midrange clarity is good. The reproduction of the voices is excellent, works like a big speaker. The stereo image is very impressive for the size and the power handling is good, you can make a party with them. The crossover does it jobs well. I made this speaker with measurements tools, all curves you see in the description are the representation of what I measure. The peak was suppressed without any problem and I don't hear to it. The tweeter is the strong point of the speaker, the good integration with the woofer push this speaker to a high level of sound reproduction.
Yes you can use the 830945 till 1.8kHz. Sure if you add a dedicated midrange it will sound better. But in this configuration it is already very impressive.