LClock XO PSU

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Modded a few VRDS machines with the same schematic ( other parts however ) and the same clock but different implementation with good results. I guess it's in the details of how things are done.

opa said:
Now the sound is correct.... like before !

Results of replacing the clock ( of whatever flavour/brand/type ) in VRDS10(SE) machines are less optimal than in other cdplayers. Despite their good mechanical build they could have been designed better electronically. Not to mention the used DAC's ;)

In original state these cdplayers are substandard soundwise, for some reason their sonical quality is exxagerated by many. My old modded Marantz cdplayer outperforms them when the analog outputs are used ( with both ). VRDS10 machines need work in many areas to shine. A better clock is just one aspect.

Bonne nuit!

Yes, there are several ways of upgrading a clock on a cdp.
Separate trafo/psu is better that connecting to the raw supply of the player.
Also, connecting the clock to every chip separately (if possible) is better than just take the original oscillator out and connecting the new clock...
One needs to look at the circuit and see what's the best that can be done there.:angel:

Originally posted by jean-paul VRDS10 machines need work in many areas to shine. A better clock is just one aspect.

I'm really surprised by the OPA's clock upgrade problem.

For me, at least to update the clock should not cause any nautable improvement quality of the sound. On the other hand, to degrade the sound after the upgrade in a very clear way is really surprising.

opa said:
Hello Everybody

I use an XO clock from TentLabs in my VRDS10SE with the Cuno's schematic PSU.
The sound was so worse that get it of and rebuit as origin.

Now the sound is correct.... like before !

Hi

Just to make things clear: The sound of an original TEAC is not correct

Now into positive mode: Why haven't you noticed me before, and I have to hear it through the forum ?

I would have been happy to support in improvimng the situation. There ar many things in implementation that can go wrong.

If you are realy unsatisfied, I will take back the clock and refund the purchasing

best regards

Sorry Mr Tent, but for me the VRDS10SE is the best machine that i ear...

Like we say here " Les gouts et les couleurs ne se discutent pas".

Like i said a few post ago, the replacement of clock in my CD player in not realy fundamental. The replacement of the OP in the analogic section is a true optimisation (OPA627 for I/V and OPA2604 to drive line)

Best regards
Cordialement.

opa said:
Sorry Mr Tent, but for me the VRDS10SE is the best machine that i ear...

Like we say here " Les gouts et les couleurs ne se discutent pas".

Like i said a few post ago, the replacement of clock in my CD player in not realy fundamental. The replacement of the OP in the analogic section is a true optimisation (OPA627 for I/V and OPA2604 to drive line)

Best regards
Cordialement.

Hello Opa,

You are welcome to take your machine up to Eindhoven and compare it with my own (heavilly modified) TEAC VRDS 10 - we will enjoy a good wine and compare the machines.

This TEAC needs lot of attention to realy shine.

all the best

Results

The machine in question is a Yamaha CDX-593.
I bought it in around 1999 only to serve as a transport for my AA dac.
Immediately I also bought the LClock XO.
As I was puzzled that the PSU from LC-Audio was unregulated, at the time I made a simple, cheap, regulated PSU, with a 7812 (including trafo).
This machine always has proven to be a good transport.
I won't tell you the comparisons I made, but curiously this cdp as a transport beats some "high-end" cdps.
It's very rare to find a good transport or a cdp with a good digital out, believe it or not.

I've been thinking in testing a better PSU for the clock.
It was now, I had a break from other projects.:D
What I made was a simple trafo+MBR1100 diodes+2x2200uf+LM317.
Remember, this is a pre-regulation (12v), the LClock XO has regulation on board.
I used the technique that has been giving me consistently good results on my amps, with the LM338 regs:
- Big cap for CAdj. (47uf, this time bypassed by 0.1uf ceramic).
- Small cap between output and ground (0.1uf poly).

I changed the old PSU for this one.
Power on, on my main system.
The first thing I noticed was a complete absence of sibilance on the voice, on some recordings that had a little trace of it.
But the detail was a little inferior.
As I always do, before dismantling the whole thing again, I let it playing for some hours, sometimes days, before taking a conclusion.
So, time for a break, let it play.
Some hours later.....:eek:
God, what happened?!:eek:
No sibilance, impressive detail, dynamics...:eek:
Not a single trace of "grain" in the midband and treble, smooth and very detailed, this is like good analog.:cheerful: :nod:

Now excuse me, I'm going to listen to some music.
It has been an orgasmatic experience.:D

Bonjour, opa!

My experience with the Tent XO clock tells me that you may have taken a precipitated decision.
The clock sounds bad in the first hour, after the first power-on.
It may be the PSU, the caps, whatever.

Let it play, and evaluate after at least an hour!:D
Seriously!

in the years i have owned several teac vrds25x's.....and this player really sucks - i have never seen a company put so much techstuff in a player...and end up with such a small amount of "soundquality".....my point is mr. opa - the 25 is better than the 10......and further more, paris is hardly the place to enjoy a nice wine, one have to move to the southern regions of your beautiful country and look carefully for quality....cheers.....;)

stef1777 said:
I understand now. The XO crystal must fit a complete night in a vine bottle before to be used. ;)

White or Red? :clown:

Forget the wine.
The Tent XO clock will play worse than the original on the first hour.
If you are listening, it gets better and better.
And that's a fact.:angel:
It always happens to me.
An hour later you listen again and fall off the chair.:clown:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.