Lcd!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In my openion a good 5" - 7" lcd at 4:3 would be great.

As I find the smaller things get the harder it is to build them up. Like with my 15" projector, its so easy to build because its huge. My 7" was quite hard but it was ok to build.

I would be in on a 5" 1280x1024 res lcd :D that would be amazing

This thread is about LCD not dmd. Noone is going to find tiny lcds at high res. and even if they did they wouldnt last long so i don't see why you are encouraging this.

I had a look at the dmd distributer and they want $10,000 for the discovery kit. I guess you are not going to make a dmd system but change lamps on ebay projectors?

diyAudio Member
Joined 2003
This thread is about LCD not dmd.

Me2, im not going on about DMD's here at all, im going on about my past experience with lcd's and their capabilities in an honest manner, to save you guys wasting time and money on things that wont work how you wished.

If you take a look around you can get high reso small lcd these days for about $700, - that will give you the kind of picture that you are after in the diy world. Honestly, its cheaper to just go out and buy a used projector and just retro out the bulb, both DMD and LCD. The large companies that manufacture pro projectors buy these lcds in bulk, therfore they get these cheaper and most of the time their lcds are worth $3k each!!!!. So ask yourself this: whats more viable, buy a projector without a bulb thats got exspensive panels in it and just retro the bulb, or should i go out and buy a 15inch panel, light source ect and only have 1/3 of the result for the same price?

3 lcd panel projectors in xga reso can be had for as low as $200 on ebay with a busted bulb. Ive even seen some that still have working bulbs for this price and work fine, no color issues ect and have a reasonable contrast.

While you may think retrofitting isnt exactly diy........... well in a way it is and in a way it isnt. The chances of just placing a bulb in the light engine and turning it on are slim (on nothing too old). A typical rebuild of the projector (quite easily done) will have to be done on most models, and lining up the light source in the optics engine is half of the fun ;).

Price vs performance ratio is what its about. If we wer all rich, lets face it, we wouldnt be in here. Now days, to me, it seems more viable to retrofit a pro projector (that has all correct optics, prisims, lenses, lcd's ect, with a higher performance), then to build one from scratch.

Trev:)

this is about lcd. experience has shown us buy, not build. so what the hell are we doing here people. ...well some might say finding the perfect lcd is like finding the perfect woman! you just have to keep searching, and even though you think you find the right one (lilliput) the perfect ones around the corner (1600x1200@85 <5msec 5" @£50)

lets stop talking about it and do something about it!

On chinese DIY market, a whole set of DIY parts for EZpro serie LCD
projectors is available, including lens, fresnels, mirrors, even steel
cases. EZpro projectors use 6.4" LCD. It is very easy to use those
parts on the 6.3" NEC LCD. and best of all, all optics are matched.
Once FFC extension problem solved I will make one base on this XGA
LCD.

juice_e said:

I wish the world was like that but its not. The smaller things get and the more they improve it, the more it costs. Look at cell phones thats a great example how the smaller they are, the more you pay.

This is actually a great example of the opposite of your point...

Cell phones used to be called Car Phones because they were so big you would need two briefcases, one just for the phone. Now you can lose a modern phone in a full shirt pocket! They also have Better reception, transmission, coverage, and with cameras and gaming capability. All for WAY less than you used to pay, sometimes even to the point of a "free" phone with a service agreement.

Smaller/better/faster is only more expensive for the impatient, for phones and LCDs.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 679
This must be the thread my friend was telling me to find... it too seems to have died with no definitive information though. Anyone know whether this NEC is workable or not?

I have a lot of interest from several people @ LumenLab when I stumbled upon this panel the other day and posted the specs.

Perhaps the two forums could do a larger group buy and save even more money -- assuming of course that the panel can be used.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.