Layout of Ethernet Isolators

Unfortunately, I do not have accurate measuring equipment to prove this.
But I did the test - I'm talking about a 20€ investment and not 4.000€ for some super duper clocks ore snakeoil switches!
Just try it yourself.
For me this has been the sensation that a device of 20€ brings such a sound advantage.

I also don't claim that the data arrives somehow different in the end device - that's nonsense.
I try to explain the effect only by the fact that noise, which are irrelevant to the data transmission, have an influence on the signal processing in the DAC - that noise is the enemy of a dac, I think we do not need to discuss.

The transformers have a CMC and clean up the data traffic.

Back to my question:

Anybody have an idea how to handle the center taps?

reports that an isolator would improve the sound, but had to find out that this was true.

I have long realised that "improve the sound" not only means different things to different people, but more often than not means worse sound as far as my own perceptions go.

Fortunately, in this particular area of the hobby it's quite easy to figure out what is best: just remove the switch and cable from the equation. A player with memory playback or a ram disk can be used. Just remember to power down the switch and unplug both sides of the ethernet cable when making the comparison.

So, now that you know what the best switch sounds like you will also know if the isolator takes you closer to the ideal or just sideways.

Thank you - technical solutions were also the intention of my question!

Network route from dsl router to streamer:

• FritzBox DSL Router
  • Cat 8 Cable
  • Netgear Switch GB
  • Cat 8 Cable
  • Windows 2008 Server (with two nics)
  • Cat 8 Cable
  • Patch Panel
  • Cat 6 Inwall Cable
  • Wall Outlet
  • 4 Wire Cable unshielded
  • Industrial M12 Switch no PoE 745569 - DIOSWITCH IP67 10/100
  • Isolator
  • Squeezbox Touch

Regarding the switch: please take it as it is - otherwise we will start a discussion with pages of nonsense.

Last edited:
...don't claim that the data arrives somehow different in the end device - that's nonsense.
I try to explain the effect only by the fact that noise, which are irrelevant to the data transmission, have an influence on the signal processing in the DAC...

Most likely; perhaps low level broadband RF noise getting into the analog part.

Unfortunately, no one here has experience investigating the question you asked. So, you are on your own to try it or not.

Regarding noise in dacs, you may have found a cheap band-aid that helps dac sound in your particular situation. However, if you are having that particular problem in the first place then its probably not your only dac noise problem.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Thank you - technical solutions were also the intention of my question!

• FritzBox DSL Router
  • Cat 8 Cable
  • Netgear Switch GB
  • Cat 8 Cable
  • Windows 2008 Server (with two nics)
  • Cat 8 Cable
  • Patch Panel
  • Cat 6 Inwall Cable
  • Wall Outlet
  • Industrial M12 Switch no PoE 745569 - DIOSWITCH IP67 10/100
  • Isolator
  • Squeezbox Touch

Regarding the switch: please take it as it is - otherwise we will start a discussion with pages of nonsense.

Your info is not of too much technical value as type numbers are omitted. Which Fritzbox, which Netgear switch, what NICs? What is 4 wire unshielded? Also what is the exact setup and this can be done perfectly in a also standard network drawing.

You must understand that daring to stick your neck out is asking for FLAK. Still, keep up the good work. Ah yes, you keep pointing wanting no nonsense etc. but please realize any network professional will describe this subject as such.

As funny as it may seem, a direct and definitive end to all network snake oil and all listening tests with audio network stuff is to try out local storage in the source of choice and use the network for internet radio and remote control. Just like switching off wireless this will give an instant improvement. "Streaming" is a hype and it is a winner as it is cheapest.

Attachments

• conceptdraw-sample.png
    conceptdraw-sample.png
    176.3 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
* FritzBox DSL Router 7490
- Cat 8 Cable
* Planet GSD1603 16-Port Gigabit Switch (Sorry thought it is a Netgear)
- Cat 8 Cable (nic 1 of server)
* Windows 2008 Server (with two nics) Board: Gigabyte z97n-wifi with 4 HDD Raid
- Cat 8 Cable (nic 2 of server)
- Patch Panel
- Cat 6 Inwall Cable
- Wall Outlet
- 4 Wire Cable unshielded
* Industrial M12 Switch no PoE 745569 - DIOSWITCH IP67 10/100 (here is also a KEF LS50 Wireless per 4 wire cable connected)
-/* Isolator
* Squeezbox Touch

* = active network component
- = cabling

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
+1. Use the same industrial quality cables for everything, only use switches and stuff that is Gbit capable, update firmware of all network stuff, use only one central switch for all connections instead of daisy chaining to other switches, use A branded Gbit/CAT6 capable patch panels etc. etc. i.e. the standard way to have a trouble free network.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Excuse me guys:

I actually wanted to know how to deal with the center taps of transformers.

Please think of the whole picture. I just say something stupid: it could very well be that the setup makes that perceived difference possible so you have found a band aid and not the root of the issue. Especially the use of wireless can be of great influence on ethernet, analog amplifiers etc. as signals may travel via nearby cabling that has a second job as antenna.

Anyone with a high bandwidth oscilloscope can tell stories what is there to be seen in a home.

Please think of the whole picture. I just say something stupid: it could very well be that the setup makes that perceived difference possible so you have found a band aid and not the root of the issue. Especially the use of wireless can be of great influence on ethernet, analog amplifiers etc. as signals may travel via nearby cabling that has a second job as antenna.

Anyone with a high bandwidth oscilloscope can tell stories what is there to be seen in a home.

Before I had a setup with a GB Switch istead of the 100M Industrial switch and all cabled with CAT8.

The actual setup offers the best sound result so far.

I have done tests to play unconnected only the buffer of squeezebox and the actual setup comes nearest.

To be clear - I seeno problem in my setup, only want to improve the sound quality.

Here you can read a test of the Isolator: Delock 62619: klangsteigernder netzwerkadapter fur 15 Euro (please use google translate)

Last edited: