Laser Turntable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
dnsey said:
I'd gladly hire one for a few hours:
I've just obtained some unique direct-cut recordings by famous 'swing era' musicians. These comprise a ?celluloid film carrying the groove laminated to a glass carrier disc. Some are becoming delaminated, and could not be played conventionally without serious risk of destruction.
I suspect that a laser turntable would find serious application in conservation work like this.

Those celluloid film laminated to a glass are "acetates", and one can only hope that Laser Turntable is the only solution for them.

Unfortunately not - it can play only black coloured flat records, for all other material, it will produce large skips.

dnsey said:
I'd gladly hire one for a few hours:
I've just obtained some unique direct-cut recordings by famous 'swing era' musicians. These comprise a ?celluloid film carrying the groove laminated to a glass carrier disc. Some are becoming delaminated, and could not be played conventionally without serious risk of destruction.
I suspect that a laser turntable would find serious application in conservation work like this.
I think you can visually scan the surface of any physical medium to a computer, and converting the image to wave forms is not terribly difficult.

No need to track the surface in real time.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.