LABhorn build: wiring/hardware questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
We went through all this stuff months ago.

I was recommended the Behringer DCX2496 for price and the DBX 260 for quality on another forum. (or at least that was what two days of people sparring and what-not added up to) We found the DBX 260 as b-stock for a killer price, we got it and it works great. You guys haven't mentioned it here - what's your opinion?

BTW, if anybody missed the plug that every LABhorn thread eventually gets, and you want something more advanced/expensive/easier/pretentious than a LABhorn, there's this *totally different, completely original* design that you can just buy, instead of building. You can also choose precut pieces and put it together without having to get as much sawdust on your shoes:

Get a slice of the Pi.™

http://www.pispeakers.com/Hornsub.html

The DBX260 includes phase shifters but it does only allow 4 EQ filters per output. According to the manual, they translate into 2 or 3 bands of equalization depending on the combination of types chosen.

Could you confirm whether it can really do 4 "bell-shaped" parametrics per output or only two? Four would be barely enough, while two means "useless for aligning horn loaded systems".

These are actually the kind of details that one should investigate when choosing a digital crossover.

DR260 has two dedicated bell EQ bands per output, the other two can be configured as bell or shelf. So you can have four if you're not using them for baffle step of HF power response correction.

There are also 7 pre-crossover bell PEQ bands, if you get desperate to rid yourself of *all* the pesky diffraction ripple in your system. For a fixed install, I *might* go to that much trouble, but for something that's coming down in 6 hours probably not.

To be honest, my buddy is the one who manages the signal processing stuff. All I know is that he made several adjustments and each one made the system sound better. He's in training (formerly college, now self-ed) for pro audio, so this whole thing is really helping him get some hands-on experience with live PA.

I can't tell you how exciting it was to light up those LABs. We wouldn't have been able to do it without the help of this forum and the prosoundweb forum.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.